Cold Boot - Unused Extruder Heating Up

FranKIT

Cold Boot - Unused Extruder Heating Up

Postby FranKIT » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:21 pm

Using latest Raisecloud and 0.66 firmware...

The printer incorrectly heats an unused extruder but ONLY when COLD booted. I have checked and checked this issue, made sure there is NO (in my case T1) gcode that instructs the controller to heat the unused extruder. From a cold-boot, if I manually heat and toggle between extruders to extrude a little filament from each and then setting temperature back to zero as per a cold boot then running the same gcode it does not cause the unused extruder to heat up. It can be troublesome having this issue from oozing filament from the unused nozzle plus it may encourage a blockage as the filament is heated (up to the temperature of the other nozzle!!) but not used. Surely this has to be a bug in firmware? Can anyone else confirm this? Thanks in advance!

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Cold Boot - Unused Extruder Heating Up

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:06 am

The first print after power on the printer, both nozzles will be heat up and do some nozzle switches to let the printer confirm which nozzle is active to on printer to print. After this time, if you are still going to do single-extruder print, it won't do nozzle swich during preheating any more until the next time you do power cycle to the printer.

FranKIT

Re: Cold Boot - Unused Extruder Heating Up

Postby FranKIT » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:22 am

Many thanks for your reply and information Vicky.

Surely initial heating of both nozzles is unnecessary? I understand that there is no closed-loop between your controller and initial nozzle activation and the sequence must be established but for a £5k+ printer to have to manually manipulate it every time you power on does seem a little unrefined don't you think? My concern is if you have a much lower temperature filament loaded and it is subjected to gross initial over-heat, especially if it's repeated then it could encourage blockages/carbon build up. Not to mention the annoying unwanted extrusion/ooze that needs to be removed prior to the print job starting. Granted, this is only relevant to single extruder prints but let's face it - we all do plenty of them.

Return to “Pro2 Series”