Leaks after nozzle swaps

JMFX

Leaks after nozzle swaps

Postby JMFX » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:04 pm

I'm trying to print with carbon fiber filled conductive filaments to deal with reducing static buildup, but every time I've tried to install a hardened nozzle, I end up with filament leaks around the nozzle where it meets the heater block.

I've tried leaving a gap, then tightening the throat tube.

I've tried tightening everything when cold, when hot, when extra hot.

I don't seem to get leaks with Factory installed nozzles when swapping the whole heater block, but I would like to use one of the new Solex Ruby nozzles to reduce wear from the filled filament.

What am i doing wrong when replacing nozzles? On my most recent attempt, I've reduced the leak to the lowest level yet, but I'd like to be able to print for an extended period without needing to worry about returning to a brick of plastic encasing my hotend.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Leaks after nozzle swaps

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:48 pm

When you finished tightening everything down, was there still a minor gap you can see between nozzle and heating block?
Was there any leaking filament in heating block and throat tube before putting the new nozzle onto it?

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:07 am

You have to torque with the block above the highest temp you are going to print with - otherwise everything comes loose and leaks. This is not clearly explained in the Raise instructions. The gap is to ensure that the nozzle is torqued against the heat break and not the block. I heat to 310 then torque to 1.5NM. You can torque at room temp until you strip the threads and still have everything come loose when temp goes up with printing.

JMFX

Postby JMFX » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:31 pm

I confirmed a gap, and most recently it was a brand new heater block assembly.

I'll try heating and tightning

JMFX

Postby JMFX » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:33 pm

I heated to 300deg then tightned and so far i seem to be leak free!

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:38 pm

Just remember you'll have to heat the assembly up to 300 to get the nozzle out next time you change it...

Return to “Pro2 Series”