Tray Size

IliaT

Tray Size

Postby IliaT » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:31 pm

Hello,

We have Raise3D Pro 2 Plus 3D printer and we have a problem with placing 304.8mm x 304.8mm x 46.9mm part in the IdeaMaker program. The program says the part is too big. But according the 3D printer specification it should be capable to print 12"x12"x24" parts. It looks like the footprint of the tray is smaller than 12"x12". If I use "Auto Fit" function it slightly reduces the part size. But this is not acceptable for us. How do we place 12"x12" footprint part in the tray?

Jetguy

Re: Tray Size

Postby Jetguy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:05 pm

How do we place 12"x12" footprint part in the tray
Buy a different printer.
No really, the firmware is closed source and has a firmware movement limit. Let's say you remove that- the mechanics have a limit.
I cannot defend the position you are in or Raise3D, but industry wide, there are a lot of printers that advertise one thing and usable area is not the same.

Take a second, look at the date on this post -August 2018 Yes, it's about the N series, the same frame and basic hardware.
You have less options and ability to change hard coded settings like firmware in a Pro2 than the N series had.

https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php ... mit#p36250
this should be a wakeup call. The printer has a real physical limit of the 305mm pint area, and inside of the that area the head can actually move counted from the 0 homed limit switch, you have the clips physically inside that area. Second is, mechanically, the bed is placed just right and rear of the homed location and remember- 305mm starts counting from homed before the head physically has no further travel, so if you have area in the front corner and left and front edge that the nozzle is over the bed- that's not printable area.

There is no software to change a hardware reality. You cannot make an offset to solve a hardware limit.

If you want to get the representation correct, here's the method I would use.
Home the printer. Move the nozzle using the jog screen after first homing XY and Z and make a note of the positions on the LCD (because they are not an indication of where the printer is, just a number relative to where you were- important info to really understand) and then jog until the nozzle just clears the clips and or just is over the bed. That distance in XY will be offsets subtracted from the 305mm. Then comes the new issue, while in ideamaker, you can edit the printable area, I do not believe you can adjust offsetting that area (features I know exist in the Repetier Host open source software and maybe others). So you can adjust printable area to match the real physical limits of your printer, but they would still then be offset since again, it's a corner 0 system. So if you limit it, it would limit the size but not the location shifted right and back. Others have addressed this by 3D printing limit switch holders that shift the homing position so the nozzle is over the bed, and that now means if that offset is too far, the firmware soft limit of 305mm will now allow the extruder to slam into the back and right hardware limits. I don't have Ideamaker on this computer I am typing from at the moment, but again, per my memory, you can adjust the printable area size, however, I don't remember offsets. Sorry, I know not super helpful compared to what you want, but that's the hand that was dealt us. Raise 3d created this, built the hardware, built the software, and this happens to be a sticking point where it's not ideal.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:25 pm

IliaT wrote:Hello,

We have Raise3D Pro 2 Plus 3D printer and we have a problem with placing 304.8mm x 304.8mm x 46.9mm part in the IdeaMaker program. The program says the part is too big. But according the 3D printer specification it should be capable to print 12"x12"x24" parts. It looks like the footprint of the tray is smaller than 12"x12". If I use "Auto Fit" function it slightly reduces the part size. But this is not acceptable for us. How do we place 12"x12" footprint part in the tray?

Also, ensure you have skirt, brim, support, or raft disabled as these extend out over the edge of a given part, thus potentially flagging a size failure when the part may just be on the fine edge of a limit.
Even if you get it to take the gcode, the limit is 305mm, 0.2mm is absolutely no margin of safety.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:41 pm

Just pulled the printer configuration page on this Ideamaker installed and the one setting you could try is lowering "Distance from border of build plate" to something less, given your size, would have to be 0.1mm so that in theory 304.8mm "fits".
Screen Shot 2019-07-01 at 2.34.08 PM.png

I would not increase the build area because again, we believe the firmware has a 305mm limit and then hardware definitely has a limit.
This assumes that when XY is homed, the nozzle is over and can print on the buildplate. N series was not built that way, unsure if the Pro2 changes this. That could explain why the default subtracts 2.5mm from the edge of the area.

IliaT

Postby IliaT » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:47 am

Thank you for the respond. In this case they should not advise the printer build size is 12"X12" or 305mm x 305 mm. They should correct the wrong information they posted and say the build size is 300mm x 300 mm or 11.8"x11.8".

IliaT

Postby IliaT » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:33 am

It looks like setting perimeter border offset to 0 should work.

By the way, when I move the print head using touch pad controller it moves to 0mm-0mm, 0mm-305mm, 305mm-305mm and 305mm-0mm coordinates with no issues without interfering with anything.

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:43 am

Can you print the part in two or more pieces? You can bond the pieces together after - not sure what the part is for or if it will be under any stresses. You can print in ABS and solvent weld them with just acetone.

-john

IliaT

Postby IliaT » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:51 pm

ocelot27 wrote:Can you print the part in two or more pieces? You can bond the pieces together after - not sure what the part is for or if it will be under any stresses. You can print in ABS and solvent weld them with just acetone.

-john

Yeah, If there is no way to fit 12"x12" part I will take some material off the part.

IliaT

Postby IliaT » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:02 pm

OK, good news - we printed the 12"x12" part with no issues. So yes just set the border offset to 0. There is no any mechanical interference I noticed during full stroke printer work. The printer has necessary margin.

Return to “Pro2 Series”