Bed leveling?

Steadipanda

Bed leveling?

Postby Steadipanda » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:18 pm

Hey I just realized after 1 year use of my pro2 that my bed is no longer level... (and i've moved my printer to a new location)

I've designed a little gauge holder to help myself adjusting but what I found was that

1. the platform center has a bulge, and underneath has no set screws for adjustments.

2. I only have 12 adjustment points on my pro2, not 13 (and tho i understand the center one doesn't really do anything).

So how could I get it too level? difference between the center and all the sides are about 0.3mm. if i lift the sides then the center becomes high. and nothing pulls the center down.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Bed leveling?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:52 am

Please try loose all the screws and nuts at 12 points and see whether the difference drops or not.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:11 am

"1. the platform center has a bulge, and underneath has no set screws for adjustments. "
The center will always appear high (nozzle near the bed) because beam deflection from gravity.
This is the weakness of using the Ultimaker style gantry VS other gantry designs.
By design, it stacks up multiple beam deflection from a system of rods riding on rods- thus forming a parabolic nozzle path.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:08 am

Do a couple of keyword searches (Sag and deflection) and a lot of reading, you slowly get the hint why this design has some limitations, why since the kickstarter different folks had different ideas on modifications. It's pathetic the pro2 is a gen 2 design that failed to address this, and yet people paid more than ever for these printers.....

"and nothing pulls the center down."
Yes, correct, unless you glue something to a build plate and pull downward, as designed, there is no way to force a build surface pull down in the center. At best, all you can do is not push up in the center bulging it upwards even worse.

https://forum.raise3d.com/search.php?ke ... d%5B0%5D=4

A sample quote from that general series of topics and there are a handful of near verbatim quotes just in that search.
OsoVerde wrote:the "hump" you noticed in the middle is more likely caused by sag in the extruder rails than anything on the build plate. I leveled mine using a glass sheet (about as flat as you can get for non-lab environments) in place of the metal/buildtak sheet to avoid any warping and the best I could do was .004" of sag in the center, .0001" deviation when tracing a 280mm perimeter along the outside.

jmp wrote:There are 2 causes for high spot in the middle. One is your platform has a bulge in the center, the second is rod sag from the heavy extruder. Glass is almost always flat (you probably adjusted the platform so it bows down which is why the glass isn't flat on it) so I'm guessing you have some rod sag going on. This is why many people (including myself) have gone to the bondtech extruders to minimize that weight and sagging.

Note, the Pro2 basically has the Bondtech extruders that were an "upgrade" on the N series, however, total extruder weight rose due to the Pro2 dual moving nozzle system, and while Bondtech being lighter weight was an improvement on N series, it wasn't total elimination of rod sag- so just imagine how bad it was before upgrades for some folks. Bottom line is this printer design rides the edge of barely acceptable on good days, and bad examples obviously exist. There's a reason I sold mine.....

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:27 pm

Mesh bed leveling would eliminate this issue but that concept seems to have evaded Raise engineers.

Skyline41rus

Postby Skyline41rus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:46 pm

I also have a bulge in the middle of the table. How to fix it?

jimdurt

Postby jimdurt » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:36 pm

Ender 3 with mesh leveling. Save your $5750 dollars. :-D

Best $250 dollars you can spend.

Skyline41rus

Postby Skyline41rus » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:18 am

jimdurt wrote:Ender 3 with mesh leveling. Save your $5750 dollars. :-D

Best $250 dollars you can spend.

:lol:

Return to “Pro2 Series”