Filament not detected - Print Paused - Ideas as to why?

red

Filament not detected - Print Paused - Ideas as to why?

Postby red » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:08 pm

Hey folks - so I started a print last night on my Pro2, only to find via RaiseCloud this morning that it was paused. No amount of hitting play would start it back up. Eventually, the printer just displayed as "busy", appearing to hang.

Come into the studio, and the LCD displays that "filament not detected". I'm running a brand-new spool of MatterHacker's Glow-In-The-Dark. There was no jam that I could see, the feeding tube appeared to be properly seated, etc.

I hit ok, and it displayed "resuming print". However it never did and just hanged. Temps were where they should be. I turned off detect filament, to no avail. Eventually I cycled the power. Fortunately, it gave me the option to resume (thank the heavens.)

What could be causing this? Translucent filament? Could it be the feed tube wasn't completely seated? I can't afford for this to happen too many times, and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Filament not detected - Print Paused - Ideas as to why?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:53 pm

It is hard to guarantee that the run-out sensor works with all kinds of material in the market perfectly, different colors, different diameters of the spools we haven't tested may cause mis-triggered the sensor. I would recommend test the sensor's function with our filament first to make sure it is a working sensor. If the sensor is confirmed as a working one, and you still see that the sensor doesn't work with one filament well, please disable it when using this filament.

red

Postby red » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:19 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:It is hard to guarantee that the run-out sensor works with all kinds of material in the market perfectly, different colors, different diameters of the spools we haven't tested may cause mis-triggered the sensor. I would recommend test the sensor's function with our filament first to make sure it is a working sensor. If the sensor is confirmed as a working one, and you still see that the sensor doesn't work with one filament well, please disable it when using this filament.

That makes sense. Thank you for the timely response.

Cotty

Postby Cotty » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:37 pm

I had a similar issue this week with PVA and now yellow PLA today. The filament's approach to the sensor path appears to effect whether the sensor can detect it. I moved the guide tubes that they ride against the lid in front of the print head rather than behind it. so far it seems to be working.

red

Postby red » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:19 pm

Cotty wrote:I had a similar issue this week with PVA and now yellow PLA today. The filament's approach to the sensor path appears to effect whether the sensor can detect it. I moved the guide tubes that they ride against the lid in front of the print head rather than behind it. so far it seems to be working.

That's weird. Glad you got around it. I'm 2 days into a print with Raise3D grey, and so far so good.

Jay_Omega

Postby Jay_Omega » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:26 pm

I've had the same thing happen using glow in the dark, UV and temp color change filament.

I suspect that the sensor is infrared based, and some of these filaments are more or less transparent to that wavelength.

Turning off the filament sensor worked for me.

:D

red

Postby red » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:21 pm

Jay_Omega wrote:I've had the same thing happen using glow in the dark, UV and temp color change filament.

I suspect that the sensor is infrared based, and some of these filaments are more or less transparent to that wavelength.

Turning off the filament sensor worked for me.

:D

That sound about right to me. I turned it off for a second print with the glow stuff, and had no problem.

Return to “Pro2 Series”