Questioning Pro2 Product Quality - Ongoing Issues

Obsidian_Integration

Questioning Pro2 Product Quality - Ongoing Issues

Postby Obsidian_Integration » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:23 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering what folks have done out there to improve or deal with the issues that keep popping up with these printers. I am a small business owner and specifically purchased the Pro2 Plus because I wanted something of a higher quality, that would just work and had a nice set of features / build volume. I have experience with much higher end (and higher price point) stratasys printers as well as DIY benchtop units so I am not a novice. With the Raise3D Pro2 Plus I have had a marginal experience at best. That said I see plenty of marketing around how wonderful these are and how many people seem to be using them - so is my situation a fluke or what?

After paying $6,000 for this printer about 3 months ago I have had the following issues:

- Brand new unit had a bad power supply. The printer would just randomly power cycle during prints. This took about 2 weeks or so to resolve with Raise3D
- Right nozzle has become jammed. Still not resolved.
- Prints have just stopped printing mid print. The printer goes to its home position and thinks its completed the job.
- Left nozzle has become clogged or for some other reason is not extruding

Note - I am not doing anything special, just basic prints maximum print time of about 24 hours. I have had these issues with Raise3D's own PLA filament, Matter Hackers Build PLA and Matterhackers Pro PLA.

WTF??? I may just try to get this thing back to basic operation and sell it to move to another camp. I don't have time for these issues and unless I'm doing something wrong have no confidence about this thing. I'd love this thing to be more reliable - does anyone have suggestions or is this just par for the course for these printers?

Thanks!
Chris

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Questioning Pro2 Product Quality - Ongoing Issues

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:39 pm

Sorry about all the issues.
You can contact our technicians at http://help.raise3d.com. We are always glad to help you solve your issues.

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:59 am

Hi Chris,

I bought two printer already and have been complaining a week after testing it and the exact same issues your facing and even more, but unfortunately Raise does not want to admit that there are major flaws with the design or are just ignoring them and that's fine but i promise you that they will lose their credibility with time and market share unless they admit and start working on upgrades to resolve these issues.
All they do is ask you to contact customer support and open a ticket.

These are major design flows, check the forums and you will see many, many people complain from clogs/ thermal runaways and other major issues and not even to forget that it's pretty darn loud.

Yes the printer works but its just unreliable even with the new firmware, it's a hit and miss and for that kind of money.

I really hope people who bought the Pro-2 come forth and voice their opinion here, maybe then Raise would listen and start working on fixes.
Attachments
IMG_0965.jpg

jonschke

Postby jonschke » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:49 am

Hi Chris,
same story here. We bought a Raise Pro2 around one year ago. Since then there was problem after problem, including sending the printer into repair (most of the repair was covered by warranty).
Up to this point I had not one successful PVA print, even though we tried many different PVA brands. Sometimes Polysupport works, but a current print with Polysupport fails every day due to nozzle clog.
And even if a print is successful the quality is not close to what we get with our other printer from a "dutch company".

I think it mostly comes down to the very poor designed hotend, with the few and very small heatsink-fins. I would happily throw a couple of hundred Euros at Raise, if they would release a hotend upgrade kit, which would allow the machine to work as promised.

But until then the machine is limited to make very easy 1 material prints in ABS (PLA and PETG often clog), with few retractions and low requirements to the surface finish.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:34 pm

jonschke wrote:Hi Chris,
same story here. We bought a Raise Pro2 around one year ago. Since then there was problem after problem, including sending the printer into repair (most of the repair was covered by warranty).
Up to this point I had not one successful PVA print, even though we tried many different PVA brands. Sometimes Polysupport works, but a current print with Polysupport fails every day due to nozzle clog.
And even if a print is successful the quality is not close to what we get with our other printer from a "dutch company".

I think it mostly comes down to the very poor designed hotend, with the few and very small heatsink-fins. I would happily throw a couple of hundred Euros at Raise, if they would release a hotend upgrade kit, which would allow the machine to work as promised.

But until then the machine is limited to make very easy 1 material prints in ABS (PLA and PETG often clog), with few retractions and low requirements to the surface finish.

Would you like to provide more details of the issues of your printer and the reseller who is helping you through help://help.raise3d.com or email inquiry@raise3d.com. We'd like to have you confirm whether there is any hardware issue on your printer that we can help.

Embermine_Drake

Postby Embermine_Drake » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:19 am

Just here to offer my encouragement to both sides. To the user, I can completely understand your frustration, it is excited what this technology can do and it is even more exciting given the capabilities this particular product is capable of delivering. So when I got my Pro2 and Pro2 Plus, I was very excited about getting it and putting it right into action so I would be similarly upset if it was not doing what I expect.
But my experience with the Raise3D staff, in particular their support, has been nothing but positive thus far in my experience and both of my printer's performances have thus far been nothing but sublime. I think that some of this experience must be borne out of working with a 3rd party reseller, so talk directly with their support team and give them a chance to do you right and I am certain that they help you resolve your matters.

One bit of advice to those having troubles with their Pro2/Pro2Plus: Make certain that you utilize IdeaMaker and use the nozzle and filament templates within the slicing profile to ensure highest quality prints. These settings have been dialed in by them to work specifically for each different situation and filament type being used.

Good luck, I hope that you both will achieve some resolution on this soon.

James

batab

Postby batab » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:11 pm

I will most probably have to send the printer back for support. Also I'm still waiting for fixes that might not even ever be available due to design flaws. Made me waste more than 1 hour changing the ribbon cable when I clearly stated that my issues looked software or firmware related and in fact nothing changed after the replacement.

Honestly, for a top tier FFF domestic printer I'm pretty annoyed. Not even considering that the printer was bought for a university lab and going through the support makes things even more frustrating for a public administration.

axlspinedoc

Postby axlspinedoc » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:05 pm

Hello,

After having read this thread, I confirm my feelings about the Pro2Plus,

Having worked with several 3D printers for more than 3 years (Raise 3D, Zortrax, BCN3D, SeeMeCNC, Prusa, Creality3D, Formlabs, Dremel, Kossel, Makerbot, 3D Systems) I must share that the Pro2Plus DOES HAVE MAJOR FLAWS. :evil:

I am currently working at an R&D Lab, with 3 Prusas Mk3S, a Formlabs Form2, and a Pro2Plus. We acquired this printer in january of 2019.

It was a pretty bumpy road since then:

- January 2019:
Although the printer did arrive in its original box, with all protections and proper packaging; the heatbed that came with the machine appeared that it had been used.
After speaking with the retailer, they accepted that they had exchanged the bed with a used one. The envolvement of Raise3D was not needed, and we got the new bed that the machine should have had installed in the first place.
It was entirely a retailer problem, we had no issues with the machine at this point.

-February 2019: We proceed to test the dual print. Since the manual included in the machine states that only the left nozzle needs to be calibrated and there are no videos on the Raise3D official Youtube account that mentions adjusting the right extruder; we continued with the test.
To our surprise, The right nozzle was 2mm lower, and the extruder ripped through our new heatbed.
20190708_145824.jpg
Bed scraped due to bad adjustment at factory of right extruder.

We contacted Support, saying that even after we followed all the literature and instructions we had access to from Raise3D, there was no mention that the right nozzle should be calibrated, as it is supposed to be "adjusted from factory".

To which they responded: "this printer was shipped by normal testing process. That means it shouldn't happen such accident. "
No answers, nor replacements were offered.
They tried to place the liability to our retailer, saying "We think it may be caused by the loosening of hot end fixing screw during the long transportation" and contacting them via e-mail.
Of course our retailer denied all possible involvement.
At the end they only offered a guide to adjust the right extruder height.

-April 2019
During our maintenance we found out that the bondtech extruder had rusted gears on both sides. The level of rust was excessive for a printer that had 4 months of use. The matchine has always been inside a building, with no direct sunlight, controlled environment, and in a designated place where no liquids are allowed.

-June 2019
During a period of two weeks we had 5 extruder jams. All of these issues happened in the throat part of the hot end of the extruder.
20190612_153923.jpg
Throat jams at nozzle lifting system

With each failure a print of 60+ hours was interrupted, and the filament sensor would not detect the lack of extrusion.
In each attempt to free the blockeage, we noticed that the nozzle lifting system did not make a perfect seal with the PTFE tube of above, leaving a gap of roughly 2mm between the extruder and the superior extruder mechanism.
20190612_151701.jpg
Filament at gap of nozzle lifting system

It was in this gap that all of the jams were formed.

We contacted support, and they offered to exchange the bondtech extruder due to the rust. Although it would resolve the previous situation, they treated the throat jams as if it was part of the prior problem.
It is well known that the cooling of the extruders is poor due to the servo motor blocking most of the exhaust vent, https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=8426 as well as dissipators having too few fins.

-July 2019

After starting a print on friday I arrived today, monday and found our Pro2Plus completely broken.
20190708_132453.jpg
Printer as today.

We printed a large piece that would cover almost all of the heatbed. Knowing this, we applied 3DLac, left the machine closed and selected the proper profile for our print.

In the timelapse video it is noticeable that even with all the measures given, a small part of the print rises and touches the nozzle. After a couple of hours the Hotend fell into the buildplate and started scraping the BuildTak, as well as the print.
Moments later, the main fan stopped working, and some of the screws of the fan popped out (incrediblely, the screws were laying on the buildplate).

At last, the whole carriage stopped moving all along and remained in place. Ironically, the screen showed up the finished print prompt, but even the LED strips were off.

After Raise3D shared with us guides for jam clearance and extruder calibration using the screws on the sides, good practices, original profiles, etc. the printer has failed continuously to deliver constant results.

It is inconcievable that a machine of $6000 cannot endure at least 4 months of use without breaking down.
All in all, this machine has been an awful experience. I do not recomend it at all.
If the only thing that comes out of this post is that no one else gets to live through such bad engineering, it served it's purpose.
Attachments
20190708_131431.jpg
Main fan with no screws

Zoidsfan77

Postby Zoidsfan77 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:53 pm

I can ditto for above. I purchased my Pro2+ under the assumption that it was an "Industrial Grade" machine capable of being reliable. I can forgive some things. I can't expect it to be perfect of course. However, it is most certainly not a $6k machine.
I have been documenting my experience and plan on posting a one-year review with more details in the near future.

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:27 pm

Zoidsfan77 wrote:I can ditto for above. I purchased my Pro2+ under the assumption that it was an "Industrial Grade" machine capable of being reliable. I can forgive some things. I can't expect it to be perfect of course. However, it is most certainly not a $6k machine.
I have been documenting my experience and plan on posting a one-year review with more details in the near future.

This will be interesting.

IliaT

Postby IliaT » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:42 pm

We had Raise 3D Pro 2 Plus for about a year.

Major issues:
- Jammed filament due to bad connection with temperature sensor on the controller board and lack of software algorithm to detect such issue (we fixed it with special bracket to hold the wire and prevent plug wiggling).

Minor issues:
- Some big PLA parts are lifting the perimeter edge or delaminating from the bed and warping (for some reason ABS filament does not have this issue);
- The heat bed connector plastic housing is cracked for some reason.
- Printer does not detect any collision and keep moving and even can brake the part of the bed if the part is warped and interfered with the print head.
- Poor software algorithm or some mechanical design flaws causing poor 2 materials print due to while one extruder is printing another one is slowly leaking with filament contaminating the print or even dragging chunk of material across the print causing geometry imperfections or print failure making 2 materials print almost unuseful feature.

batab

Postby batab » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:51 pm

I can agree on almost everything.

While I'm not happy at all right now and I'm even unhappier when considering that some of the issues are just firmware/software related because those could have been fixes ages ago already.

- When dual extruder is being used I have temperature spikes of 50-80 °C over the target temperature for the idle extruder due to the temperature sensor freezing and thus the feedback loop giving more and more juice to the idle extruder. This of course has a very high chance to ruin the first layer and screwing the whole print.

- Heated bed heats damn slow due to admitted design flaws (of corse not fixed since this is hardware-related I guess). I mean, 40-50 minutes to get to the target temperature is not really acceptable in my opinion.

- Nozzles are forced by the firmware to heat during bed heating and not after. Considering bed can take up to 40-50 minutes to heat up, this means that the material might clog the nozzle due to remaining heated up to extrusion temperature without actually extruding for those 40-50 minutes.

- Linear advance has yet to be implemented.

- Rails are subjected to way more wear than needed due to them being also used as transmission (thus rotating inside the linear bushings).

- Extruder cooling has issues making prints over 250°C way harder and everyone knows it.

- Wireless support is partial and it was nowhere stated in the datasheet.

- The nozzle lifting mechanism is not particularly well designed since it causes material to leak out due to compression and does not facilitate clean prints with dual extrusion. Moreover on the first print after powering on the printer, the firmware forces the idle extruder to heat to print temperature even if the print is a single extruder print. This can damage the material in the idle extruder of course since you cannot even set the temperature at which it will be heated (since the print is single extruder, the second one will just heat to the temperature of the active one).

All in all, I know that this is a domestic printer and we cannot expect industrial grade quality but still, this is at the highest price range for a domestic printer.

pjyarnall

Postby pjyarnall » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:55 pm

Having read through this thread I guess I can consider myself "lucky" as I have only experienced some of the issues noted. I will not relist the issues, only the solutions I have implemented.
1). Convert the hotends to water cooling. The stock heat sinks are a joke and a fundamental design flaw, (especially for using higher temp filaments). I have posted elsewhere on the forum about my water cooling solution.
2). The extruder motors can get very hot. The heat makes its way to the filament enough that for some filaments, jams will still occur. I rarely print with the top cover in place and I have a computer fan directed at the top of the extruder head assembly. This helps a lot.
3). The cable flex support chain to the extruder assembly is improperly designed restricting flexure to a concentrated area. This will shorten wire life. I did a redesign and a mount adapter which helps, but factory redesign is required and will require a longer flex chain and all the wires within.
4). The touch screen on the display is very cheap and poor quality often requiring multiple input attempts. I now use a pencil with a soft eraser to get better response.
5). IMO, no printer can be called "industrial" without some sort of filament environmental control. Humidity is your enemy for most filaments. I designed an integrated feeder box. Also documented elsewhere in the forum.
6). R3D refuses to sell hot end throat tubes individually. Since I do not use the (useless) brass nozzle, the (useless) heat sink and the heat blocks and silicone boots don't really wear out, the throat tube, which is fragile and DOES fail, costs $80! My colleague and I are about to make our own.
7). The Pro2 is supplied with brass nozzles. An industrial grade printer should have hardened A2 steel nozzles as standard equipment. The hard nozzle they offer is a nickel plated brass nozzle. It is not hard and is false advertising. Get the Micro Swiss MK8 A2 hard steel nozzles. They will withstand the carbon and glass filled filaments that any "industrial" printer should be expected to work with.
8). I had so many hassles trying to use the right nozzle for a different filament choice that I finally gave up using it all. Part of it is the control software and part of it is the mechanical design of the mechanism which won't allow changing nozzles unless they are both hot. (the retreating nozzle can't force the filament upwards against the filament gripped in the extruder gears). They have made improvements to the software, but I now just consider my Pro2 a single extruder machine. Calibrating the bed gap to the right nozzle after setting the left is a very poor work around at best. If I need support, I just use the same filament. Far less hassle.

In summary, with the mods I have made, the Pro2 is now reasonably reliable. There are so many nuanced factors that can impact print quality and outcome, that I doubt it is possible to get to a perfect plug and play print every time on any machine, except perhaps the high end machines that strictly control every aspect of the process, including materials. As a rule, I can get my desired working print on the first try, or perhaps the second, unless there is a particularly critical dimension and I have misjudged the the shrink or growth factor for that feature. I can get repeatability of features to within a few thousandths of an inch(!). I print almost exclusively with 3DX CarbonX for mechanical parts with some ASA for parts with particular chemical resistance requirements. I can't imagine not having the printer in my "toolbox". It has changed the way I design and I can get deliverables to my clients more quickly and cheaply, but, oh my, it has been a tedious, time consuming, and painful road getting to this point.

I feel everyone's pain. :cry:
Pro 2

batab

Postby batab » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:59 pm

pjyarnall wrote:Having read through this thread I guess I can consider myself "lucky" as I have only experienced some of the issues noted. I will not relist the issues, only the solutions I have implemented.
1). Convert the hotends to water cooling. The stock heat sinks are a joke and a fundamental design flaw, (especially for using higher temp filaments). I have posted elsewhere on the forum about my water cooling solution.
2). The extruder motors can get very hot. The heat makes its way to the filament enough that for some filaments, jams will still occur. I rarely print with the top cover in place and I have a computer fan directed at the top of the extruder head assembly. This helps a lot.
3). The cable flex support chain to the extruder assembly is improperly designed restricting flexure to a concentrated area. This will shorten wire life. I did a redesign and a mount adapter which helps, but factory redesign is required and will require a longer flex chain and all the wires within.
4). The touch screen on the display is very cheap and poor quality often requiring multiple input attempts. I now use a pencil with a soft eraser to get better response.
5). IMO, no printer can be called "industrial" without some sort of filament environmental control. Humidity is your enemy for most filaments. I designed an integrated feeder box. Also documented elsewhere in the forum.
6). R3D refuses to sell hot end throat tubes individually. Since I do not use the (useless) brass nozzle, the (useless) heat sink and the heat blocks and silicone boots don't really wear out, the throat tube, which is fragile and DOES fail, costs $80! My colleague and I are about to make our own.
7). The Pro2 is supplied with brass nozzles. An industrial grade printer should have hardened A2 steel nozzles as standard equipment. The hard nozzle they offer is a nickel plated brass nozzle. It is not hard and is false advertising. Get the Micro Swiss MK8 A2 hard steel nozzles. They will withstand the carbon and glass filled filaments that any "industrial" printer should be expected to work with.
8). I had so many hassles trying to use the right nozzle for a different filament choice that I finally gave up using it all. Part of it is the control software and part of it is the mechanical design of the mechanism which won't allow changing nozzles unless they are both hot. (the retreating nozzle can't force the filament upwards against the filament gripped in the extruder gears). They have made improvements to the software, but I now just consider my Pro2 a single extruder machine. Calibrating the bed gap to the right nozzle after setting the left is a very poor work around at best. If I need support, I just use the same filament. Far less hassle.

In summary, with the mods I have made, the Pro2 is now reasonably reliable. There are so many nuanced factors that can impact print quality and outcome, that I doubt it is possible to get to a perfect plug and play print every time on any machine, except perhaps the high end machines that strictly control every aspect of the process, including materials. As a rule, I can get my desired working print on the first try, or perhaps the second, unless there is a particularly critical dimension and I have misjudged the the shrink or growth factor for that feature. I can get repeatability of features to within a few thousandths of an inch(!). I print almost exclusively with 3DX CarbonX for mechanical parts with some ASA for parts with particular chemical resistance requirements. I can't imagine not having the printer in my "toolbox". It has changed the way I design and I can get deliverables to my clients more quickly and cheaply, but, oh my, it has been a tedious, time consuming, and painful road getting to this point.

I feel everyone's pain. :cry:

Well, I would have fun modding the printer but I have no time lately. Plus, it would also be rough to handle due to our internal policies (the printer is associated to a university lab). Modding things is really satisfying but fixing well-payed things that are not working properly is annoying at best.

Considering all of your mods, your time spent is already worth way more than the printer itself (20$ x 250h at least) and your are still not using it to the advertised potential since the second extruder is useless and high temp filaments are handled suboptimally.

For a 5000$ printer, this is a joke. They will either fix our printer or I will just ask for a full refund and opt for something else.

PS: I'm not criticizing, I'm just saying that R3D does not deserve such positive customers.

pjyarnall

Postby pjyarnall » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:05 pm

Well, as a senior career engineer, I have not worked for $20 in a very long time. I also work for myself, started life as a country kid, and grew up fixing what was broken. Given the complete lack of local technical support and the great distances involved to ship it, I either had to "fix" my Pro2 or walk away from it. I chose the former. Yes, my added value cost is high, but it was spread out over many months. I understand that not everyone has that option, the skill sets needed, or both. Tough position to be in. I recently saw an Italian industrial printer demo'd. Very impressive printer. $33K. (And no filament dry cabinet!) A smaller build volume than the Pro2. They offer a larger model at $50K plus with an optional filament cabinet... another $12K. My point being that the jump up in printer quality and reliability comes with a very high price tag. Wayyyy out of my reach.
Pro 2

batab

Postby batab » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:11 am

pjyarnall wrote:Well, as a senior career engineer, I have not worked for $20 in a very long time. I also work for myself, started life as a country kid, and grew up fixing what was broken. Given the complete lack of local technical support and the great distances involved to ship it, I either had to "fix" my Pro2 or walk away from it. I chose the former. Yes, my added value cost is high, but it was spread out over many months. I understand that not everyone has that option, the skill sets needed, or both. Tough position to be in. I recently saw an Italian industrial printer demo'd. Very impressive printer. $33K. (And no filament dry cabinet!) A smaller build volume than the Pro2. They offer a larger model at $50K plus with an optional filament cabinet... another $12K. My point being that the jump up in printer quality and reliability comes with a very high price tag. Wayyyy out of my reach.

Agree on all of this. There is no optimal solution for sure and if you are now happy with it then you did it right.

By the way, I'm an italian engineer :lol:

Skyline41rus

Postby Skyline41rus » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:22 pm

Возможно нужно подать общее обращение в европейский суд?

Skyline41rus

Postby Skyline41rus » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:23 pm

Perhaps you need to file a General appeal to the European court?

KS_Husker

Postby KS_Husker » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:16 pm

I just found out that my printer needs a new extruder board and motion controller board. Another $470 and it is still within the year that I purchased the machine but they only warranty things that actually may fail for 90 days so neither are covered. NICE!!!

I have to say I am very disappointed. This is also after I found out that I had a runaway heating rod that could have burned my house down if I didn't stay and watch the machine start the print. I had heard this could be an issue and figured they had it fixed by now. All firmware and software was up to date also. Way to go Raise3D!! I was pushing everyone I knew to buy one of these printers and now I will be doing the opposite. Very dangerous machine, and poorly conceived. Also ridiculous that they won't cover things like this and don't have a better way to keep them protected from failure. I should never have to spend this kind of money to get this machine going again. That's a huge chunk of the total cost of the machine.

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:56 pm

KS_Husker wrote:I just found out that my printer needs a new extruder board and motion controller board. Another $470 and it is still within the year that I purchased the machine but they only warranty things that actually may fail for 90 days so neither are covered. NICE!!!

I have to say I am very disappointed. This is also after I found out that I had a runaway heating rod that could have burned my house down if I didn't stay and watch the machine start the print. I had heard this could be an issue and figured they had it fixed by now. All firmware and software was up to date also. Way to go Raise3D!! I was pushing everyone I knew to buy one of these printers and now I will be doing the opposite. Very dangerous machine, and poorly conceived. Also ridiculous that they won't cover things like this and don't have a better way to keep them protected from failure. I should never have to spend this kind of money to get this machine going again. That's a huge chunk of the total cost of the machine.

Wait till you need to replace the touch screen, its about $1000, thats what happened to mine and i just wont replace it and will have to settle for remote use.

Return to “Pro2 Series”