Preparing to swap nozzle - Any last minute advice?

red

Preparing to swap nozzle - Any last minute advice?

Postby red » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:50 pm

Hey all - I am planning to swap out the factory nozzle on my Pro2 with a 1mm nozzle. I'm hoping to speed up my large prints.

I have found the how-to pages for removing the hot-end, and for swapping nozzles.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1069/ ... 2358962206
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1069/ ... 2358962206

I am fearful of taking a perfectly functional printer and throwing a wrench in the works, and want to make sure I've covered all my bases.

Any additional points I should be aware of?

Thanks.

PTXer

Re: Preparing to swap nozzle - Any last minute advice?

Postby PTXer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:59 am

red wrote:I am fearful of taking a perfectly functional printer and throwing a wrench in the works, and want to make sure I've covered all my bases.

I hear you on that one. I've bought a .8mm nozzle to step up from the factory .4mm too, but I haven't gotten up the gumption yet to make the switch. I have had no issues with mine since I bought it in Jan and would hate to change that.

red

Postby red » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:59 pm

Hey PTXer - Glad I'm not the only one with trepidations.

The procedure seems pretty straight forward, though not trivial. I'm very concerned about not tightening correctly, recalibrating, etc.

Its not imperative that I do the swap, but man I'd love to speed up my big prints where I'm not concerned about detail. Let me know if you give it a go. I will post here when I do.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:50 pm

Attached all the instructions may can help you for your nozzle swap. Do make sure you have left an gap between nozzle and heating block then tighten the throat tube to confirm the throat tube seals well with the nozzle. Do not apply any extra force onto the throat tube when removing the old nozzle from the hotend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P6Og8LIP3c&t=20s
https://support.raise3d.com/pro2-series ... ent_id=106
https://support.raise3d.com/pro2-series ... ent_id=107
https://support.raise3d.com/pro2-series ... ent_id=223
https://support.raise3d.com/pro2-series ... tent_id=69

red

Postby red » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:54 pm

Thanks Vicky!

devmailboxlive

Postby devmailboxlive » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:48 am

Have you attempted the procedure yet?
Btw, were you replacing both nozzles or just one?

I’m in the same boat: got a new one 0.8mm, and thinking about replacing my right nozzle with this larger one.
Also terrified to mess something up.

red

Postby red » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:44 pm

devmailboxlive wrote:Have you attempted the procedure yet?
Btw, were you replacing both nozzles or just one?

I’m in the same boat: got a new one 0.8mm, and thinking about replacing my right nozzle with this larger one.
Also terrified to mess something up.

Hey - I have not yet. i will likely swap both, as I prematurely wore one done printing with glow filament. One will be a .4mm wear resistant, and the other a 1 mm for big and quick.

I have been in touch with Matterhackers suppport (my point of purchase) and the tech assured me it's not that bad. I will post when I do the swap out.

ocelot27

Postby ocelot27 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:12 pm

I highly advise torquing the nozzles over the highest temp you ever plan on printing. If you torque them at room temp - even really tight they can come loose - has happened to me. here's what I do:

remove hot ends from carriage

use Raise instructions for gapping new nozzle but gap to 0.25 - tighten firm - enough to hold for the following

put thermocouple and heater back in block, leave sock off, heat sink off

run the block up to 300 or 310 hanging from carriage - do not not torque with the hot end mounted in the carriage

hold block with pliers and torque to 1-2NM - Slice engineering sells a 1.5NM torque wrench just for this. This is not a lot of torque but if you do it hot it will not come loose.

confirm the gap with a 0.2mm feeler after block has cooled

put heat sink and sock back on as per Raise and reinstall

repeat for the other side

-john

devmailboxlive

Postby devmailboxlive » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:47 pm

How does a worn out nozzle look like? Do you mean it is physically damaged because of printing with glow filament?
Very new to this, so excuse my ignorance.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:10 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/com ... t_nozzles/
The abrasiveness of glow-in-the-dark (GITD) filament is common knowledge to some, but a surprise to others.

Some sellers offer upfront warnings while others make no mention of the risk. I personally printed a number of GITD objects on my first brass nozzle before I knew I should take precautions.

As long as companies fail to mention this, there will be a steady stream of new people who find out the hard way. Predictably, many people on this sub have blown out nozzles without realizing that GITD filament was a risk:

Image: Makergear nozzle blown out from printing 700g of GITD. Post: May 4, 2015

Image: E3D blown out after 2kg of regular PLA and 750g of GITD. Post: Oct 14, 2015

Image: Nozzle blown out after 14 hours ~ 500g of GITD. Post: Nov 29, 2015

Image: Nozzle blown out after 6 days of GITD printing. Post: Jul 27, 2016

Image: Monoprice nozzle blown out from GITD. Post: Dec 7, 2016

Image: Two week old nozzle blown out from GITD. Post: Feb 1, 2017

Image: 4-day old Monoprice nozzle blown out from printing GITD. Post: Feb 4, 2017

Attachments
vmy21sv.jpg
l4UvZRH.jpg

devmailboxlive

Postby devmailboxlive » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:06 am

Jetguy, many thanks, for the detailed explanation and the references.

red

Postby red » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:34 pm

ocelot27 wrote:I highly advise torquing the nozzles over the highest temp you ever plan on printing. If you torque them at room temp - even really tight they can come loose - has happened to me. here's what I do:

remove hot ends from carriage

use Raise instructions for gapping new nozzle but gap to 0.25 - tighten firm - enough to hold for the following

put thermocouple and heater back in block, leave sock off, heat sink off

run the block up to 300 or 310 hanging from carriage - do not not torque with the hot end mounted in the carriage

hold block with pliers and torque to 1-2NM - Slice engineering sells a 1.5NM torque wrench just for this. This is not a lot of torque but if you do it hot it will not come loose.

confirm the gap with a 0.2mm feeler after block has cooled

put heat sink and sock back on as per Raise and reinstall

repeat for the other side

-john

Sound advice. Thank you John, I really appreciate it.

red

Postby red » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:36 pm

Jetguy wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comments/67xons/glow_filament_the_museum_of_blown_out_nozzles/
The abrasiveness of glow-in-the-dark (GITD) filament is common knowledge to some, but a surprise to others.

Some sellers offer upfront warnings while others make no mention of the risk. I personally printed a number of GITD objects on my first brass nozzle before I knew I should take precautions.

As long as companies fail to mention this, there will be a steady stream of new people who find out the hard way. Predictably, many people on this sub have blown out nozzles without realizing that GITD filament was a risk:

Image: Makergear nozzle blown out from printing 700g of GITD. Post: May 4, 2015

Image: E3D blown out after 2kg of regular PLA and 750g of GITD. Post: Oct 14, 2015

Image: Nozzle blown out after 14 hours ~ 500g of GITD. Post: Nov 29, 2015

Image: Nozzle blown out after 6 days of GITD printing. Post: Jul 27, 2016

Image: Monoprice nozzle blown out from GITD. Post: Dec 7, 2016

Image: Two week old nozzle blown out from GITD. Post: Feb 1, 2017

Image: 4-day old Monoprice nozzle blown out from printing GITD. Post: Feb 4, 2017

Thanks Jetguy. Lesson learned indeed. That GITD was like a siren's song to my inner child. :) I'm going to put in a hardened nozzle, when I put in my 1mm on the other side.

Return to “Pro2 Series”