Make the Pro2 Silent (agian) ;)

carver0510

Make the Pro2 Silent (agian) ;)

Postby carver0510 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:18 am

Hi,

I did some researches regarding the noise of the printer and where it is coming from :) I identified two fan's which are manily reponsible for the noise: The first is the one of the PSU and the second is the blower in the electronic box for cooling the motion controller board.

First R3D have used great components! I like the Mean Well PSP-600 - it have great hardware! Also the assembled Sunon KD1208PTB1 is an good fan - but it is very loud 33,0 dB(A) and it is running all the time at full speed. Looking at the Datasheet of the PSU there is an Build in thermal protection, which measure the temperature of the heat sink and it turn off the PSU hat 85 degree Celsius.
So the first idea i came up with is, to use a silent fan ... but there you have to be careful, because most of the silent fan have a much lower air flow and pressure curves which result in an worse heat dissipation and this can harm the PSU!
So the second idea is, to regulate the FAN of the PSU dependent on the temperature of the heatsink. Therfore I was looking for a small controller which can controll the speed dependent on the temperature of the heat sink. I found some cute little PCB in China but it only can control the fan by PWM. Sadly the assembled Sunon fan have no PWM control. So therefore I needed a new fan and I found some: Noctua NF-A8 PWM. It have only 17,7 dB(A) but also a lower Airflow (about 17% less than the Sunon) and also the pressure is lower (48% less than the Sunon). So what does this mean to us? The Airflow is not critical, but the lower pressure of the fan is a problem. But you can use a fan with less pressure curve, when you reduce the pressure drop in the PSU. There are several pressure drops in the PSU:
[list=][*] Inlet of the Air [*] Outlet of the Air [*] Parts inside the PSU which block the airflow[/list]
The parts inside the PSU can't be modified ;) but you can modify the inlet and outlet of the air. The PSU is designed that nobody can get inside with their fingers to protect the user form an electric shock!

So the modification I will try is dangerous and shouldn't be done by anybody. When you try this by your own - you do it on your own risk!

So i decided to open the inlet and the outlet. Therefore i have to remove the grills at the inlet and oulet of the sheet metal. Afterwards you can reassemble all the parts. But be carefull not touching the fan or inside the housing - due to there is no protection. But during normal operation, you don't touch the PSU - but keep it in mind when you have done the modification.

I will give you feedback about my modification, when I have done this mod.

So now we came to the blower of the motion controller board:
With the blower you are circulating the air in the electronic box and to make it worse ... you don't have enough space at the suction side of the blower and you suck in the hot air which concentrate in the electronic box. You need fresh (cool) air to cool the motion controler board during long prints! This mean the blower in the box operate far away from its optimum operating point which results in bad airflow / "cooling" and loud noise.
My solution would be a new Front cover where one or two normal 80mm (and silent) fan can be assembled to move the air over the motion controller board for cooling.

@Vicky@Raise3D : Do you have any files (STEP-Files?) of the electronic box (housing and cover) which you can share with us, so I can modifiy it? Have you any thermal data (e.g. pictures made with a thermal camera to locate the hot spots) of the motion controller board to locate the hot spots?

I am asking because i want to modify the lid (and maybe the housing) of the electronic box to get a better cooling of the board.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards

Sebastian

Naser404

Re: Make the Pro2 Silent (agian) ;)

Postby Naser404 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:30 pm

Hi,

I have made all the changes to quiet mine the minute i bought the printer, and as you said its the PSU, very noisy and also the electronic blower fan.

I 3d printed a cover with two openings for 120mm Noctua fans, the cover snaps in just like the original but its not long enough as the print bed is small and i didn't bother to complete it printing the second half but i do have the design somewhere for the full cover..

For the PSU, i added a resistor (can't remember the rating, since it was very long ago) and controlled the fan speed and now its dead quiet.

The problem is once you do that then you start realizing that the noise now comes from the hotend fan.
Attachments
IMG_1433.jpg
IMG_1432.jpg
IMG_1361.jpg
IMG_1356.jpg

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:58 pm

Sorry, I don't have the STEP file of electronic box on hand. I do remember we have some other users modified electronic box and shared the result in forum. You can search the related posts in forum.

carver0510

Postby carver0510 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:29 am

Naser404 wrote:I 3d printed a cover with two openings for 120mm Noctua fans, the cover snaps in just like the original but its not long enough as the print bed is small and i didn't bother to complete it printing the second half but i do have the design somewhere for the full cover.

Oh this is also a good Solution! I like it very much! There are severel 120mm Noctua fans - do you remember, which one you have used? :)
Would be awesome, when you can share your design for the cover which holding the 120mm fans with us! :)

The thing i like on your cover, that there are still openings ... so the air can flow over the electornic board and get out of the box with a low pressure drop! Very nice!

The solution soldering an resistor to the fan of the PSU is also a simple idea. First thing I though: Oh boy ... will be there enough airflow to cool the PSU?. But as you have said, you did it long time ago. But I think i will start first with my Idea and see how it will work, but maybe your solution will have the same results. Since a few days, I am monitoring the Power Consumption of the printer, so i Can see how much power of the PSU will be used :)

And regarding the fans of the hotend cooling ... this is a different problem to get them quiet. The cooling of the hotend isn't very good. So the first thing I have done, is to reduce the pressure drop of the fan by applying the distance plates to the both part cooling fans on the side and i opened the inlet of the hotend fan cover. So there should be less pressure and you can attach a fan which is quieter and have a less pressure curve. But first I have to install some thermal elements to meassure the temperatur of the hotend to compare the fans :)

Attached the parts I have installed for the hotend cooling:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3130989
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3136754
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3228278

The parts for the fan ducts I modified by fretsaw.

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Sorry, I don't have the STEP file of electronic box on hand. I do remember we have some other users modified electronic box and shared the result in forum. You can search the related posts in forum.

Thank you for your reply. The electronic box from the N2 and Pro2 Versions have changed and it seems, they are not compatible. I have removed the cover of the Pro 2. Maybe Naser404 will share his design or I have to do some reverse engineering.

carver0510

Postby carver0510 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:19 am

Naser404 wrote:I 3d printed a cover with two openings for 120mm Noctua fans

I Just have checked your pictures and on the fan, shown with the cover, it says it is a 'Nocuta A9x14 PWM'.

This mean, it is an PWM-controlled 92mm fan - I am right? :)

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:38 pm

Yes they are 92 PWM fans low profile, you can attach them in a push-pull senario if needed. I checked the model number on both fans and downloaded the data sheets(attached) too, they are way to noisy. Here is the stl file for the cover, all you need to do is mirro it for the other side and it fits by snapping in the original openings.
Attachments
Raise 50mm Fan.JPG
DA03510.jpg
Board cover.STL
(638.36 KiB) Downloaded 35 times

carver0510

Postby carver0510 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:20 am

Thank you very much :) Have you also the Cover, shown on the picture or are you using the attached cover?

yeah .. the 35mm Fan is very loud too :(

I Think I will handle this, when I modified the PSU and the Controller Board.

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:01 pm

carver0510 wrote:Thank you very much :) Have you also the Cover, shown on the picture or are you using the attached cover?

yeah .. the 35mm Fan is very loud too :(

I Think I will handle this, when I modified the PSU and the Controller Board.

Sorry i don't have that design anymore as it has been modified already.I have added a .stp file too.
Attachments
Board cover.rar
(342.9 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Electronics Cover.JPG

carver0510

Postby carver0510 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:14 am

Naser404 wrote:Sorry i don't have that design anymore as it has been modified already.I have added a .stp file too.

AWESOME! Thank you very much for sharing! So I can modify to my needs :)

GnoStiC

Postby GnoStiC » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:10 am

i can also recommend Arctic TC (temperature controlled) fans.
500 rpm idle. linear speed increase when sensor hits 32C (89.6F)

ARCTIC F12 TC
ARCTIC F12 PRO TC

IDEAL TEMPERATURE CONTROL: The temperature sensor is on a 40 cm cable and can be placed in the warm areas of your computer. This assures temperatures no higher than 38 °C anywhere in the case and supports the cooling of your CPU or graphics card. On the other side this fan keeps the noise level absolutely minimal and only increases the speed if necessary.

Naser404

Postby Naser404 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:41 am

GnoStiC wrote:i can also recommend Arctic TC (temperature controlled) fans.
500 rpm idle. linear speed increase when sensor hits 32C (89.6F)

ARCTIC F12 TC
ARCTIC F12 PRO TC

IDEAL TEMPERATURE CONTROL: The temperature sensor is on a 40 cm cable and can be placed in the warm areas of your computer. This assures temperatures no higher than 38 °C anywhere in the case and supports the cooling of your CPU or graphics card. On the other side this fan keeps the noise level absolutely minimal and only increases the speed if necessary.

Good Suggestion but i would recommend the 92mm version.

Return to “Pro2 Series”