'Special' filament problem/questions (wood, metal, carbon, etc.)

SniperSK

'Special' filament problem/questions (wood, metal, carbon, etc.)

Postby SniperSK » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:05 am

Hello,

because I am not able to get any of the 'special' filaments to work I wanted to ask a few questions. With 'special' filament I mean wood/metal/carbon/etc. filaments, so mostly PLA filaments with special additions.

1. Is there some kind of list of tested/working 'special' filament and perhaps temperatures/settings for successful printing?

2. Are there any tips for how to get started with new 'special' filament to avoid having everything cluttered or jammed?

My issue:
Since I have my Pro2 I tried 2 different wood filaments, 1 bronze filament and 1 carbon filament with the exact same outcome, taking my printer apart and clean it or having an endless game of unloading/loading without being able to start any real printing because the filament almost immediately gets stuck.

I tried both extruders, different temperatures, different nozzles (up to 0.8mm) but the behavior is the same every time. When trying to print anything the feeder starts with the clicking noise and nothing comes out of the nozzle. Tried adjusting the thumbscrew on the feeder but nothing changed. Most of the time unloading and loading again works (so not real/complete jam, sometimes on the unload I have to pull a bit harder to get it out and the filament is a bit squeezed) but print jobs never work.

If I switch to normal PLA printing works normal.

Any sort of help is welcome. I spent several days and quite an amount of filament trying to get it running without success.

Thanks.

HouseMonster

Re: 'Special' filament problem/questions (wood, metal, carbon, etc.)

Postby HouseMonster » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:54 pm

First thing is make sure your using a hardened steel nozzle and not the stock nozzle that comes with the printer. Special filaments are usually abrasive and can very quickly destroy a copper nozzle.

Almost all filaments have the temperature range displayed for general good printing. If its all PLA based the head and the nozzle should be set similar to PLA. From there I would tweak it hotter or colder based on how test prints go. I almost always print a Benchy first for all new prints. That way I can see how all the temps and cooling look. Once the temps set maybe adjust retraction if needed. If your going to use the filament a lot make sure to make its own profile if there are a lot of custom settings.

Petg, Nylons etc just follow the same procedure. Start with the base recommendations for either Raise or the manufacture of the filament. Just be aware of the nature of bed adhesion with different types of materials.

With your issue when its clicking there are a few reasons. The most common is that there is a jam at the nozzle and the gears are trying to push through. This could be attributed to the plastic not melting fast enough. So either heat it up more and slow down the speed. Also a larger nozzle diameter will help with clogs in general. I have a .6mm set and works well for everything and improves on print times.

Hope this helps.

SniperSK

Postby SniperSK » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:49 am

Thanks for the feedback.

My problem is that I do not even reach the point where I can start tweaking to optimize prints because I can't even get to print a Benchy, a temperature tower or even a raft for any kind of print. Literally all that is working is loading. It keeps flowing but as soon as I stop the loading process and want to start a print job the filament gets stuck immediately.

se2013

Postby se2013 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:11 pm

SniperSK, did you ever get a solution to this issue? I am experiencing this very same thing using ColorFabb's BronzeFill(1.75 PLA).
I can load fine, but as soon as the actual print begins, its an immediate jam.
(BTW, my $250 Monoprice printed this same filament flawlessly using my standard PLA settings.)

Tried various temp settings, retract/no-retract, various speeds etc. All with the same result.

pjyarnall

Postby pjyarnall » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:53 am

Based on my experience for the past 16 months with a Pro 2, it is my opinion that the stock air cooled throat heat sinks are WOEFULLY inadequate. Many filaments get "sticky" before actually melting in the hot end and due to inadequate cooling of the throat tube above the hotend, the filament "freezes in the throat tube. The drive gears can not get enough purchase on the filament to push it through. A classic jam. I solved the problem by installing water cooled heat sinks that I designed, replacing the air cooled system altogether. Search the forum for my other posts. Also youtube.

Some filaments are so sensitive to reaching the glass transition temp that the very hot feed drive motors pre warm the filament too much. I have added a fan just to cool feed motors and I generally print with the top cover off.

It is true that you should use a hardened steel nozzle with any "filled" filament. Amazing to me the Raise3D still does not offer a proper nozzle. The one they call "hardened" is absolutely not hard. it is nickel plated brass and is a complete waste of time and $ to install, especially when printing with carbon or glass filled filaments, which is 90% of what I print with. The Micro Swiss MK8 nozzle is what I use, (A2 hardened tool steel). They are not expensive. I print carbon fiber nylon with a .4mm version. Filament settings are critical for this small a nozzle, but it works well once dialed in.
Pro 2

se2013

Postby se2013 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:18 pm

OK, printing BronzeFill with the left nozzle will jam every time. However, printing with the right nozzle works fine(For ColorFabb BronzeFill anyway). No jams, no issues. Obviously this is a cooling issue. The heat sink fins seem to be adequate, as the right extruder prints no problem. However, the left hot end heat sink fins have a servo housing mounted at the backside, eliminating any possibility of airflow through the cooling fins. No such obstruction exists on the right side.

Bottom line, the left side airflow needs to be addressed. I hope Raise3d is listening....

Return to “Pro2 Series”