Support material/structures breaking

markm

Support material/structures breaking

Postby markm » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:44 pm

I'm about 30 hours into a PLA build with support and I keep coming back to find the support structures broken. So far I've been able to save it by taping them back up but why? I can occasionally hear the nozzle dragging across these structures while traversing. Why does the support seem to be higher than the normal print, or maybe the normal print is just stronger and doesn't break. I'm using the default support, kind of a zig-zag pattern, are there other settings I should be using to avoid this?

Shelton

Re: Support material/structures breaking

Postby Shelton » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:02 pm

Z-hop. You should use this feature and adjust also Z-axis higher. For example 0.25mm. That way.

markm

Postby markm » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:48 pm

Thanks Shelton. I've see a lot of references to Z-hop, one wonders why that's not the default...

Noren

Postby Noren » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:24 am

Or extrude less plastic. I prefer that to Z-hop. Just change your filament flow rate in the advanced tab. I usually use 92-94 for PLA and 98 for ABS. That you hit the plastic could also be due to wrong z-distance between nozzle and bed. If you are a little too close. I think that Z-hop isn't activated by default because with tuned settings/flowrate you don't need it and it adds some time to your print time. And with some prints it can cause problem. If you have a lot small details and plastic that likes to flow easily out of the nozzle you can get small "tips" there the z-hop takes place. And you can hit these and knock parts away. But in most case z-hop will help you though. :)

walleywalker

Postby walleywalker » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:28 am

Is your support super tall and narrow?

markm

Postby markm » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:21 am

walleywalker wrote:Is your support super tall and narrow?

For the most part it was maybe .2" wide by 1.25" tall but it also knocked out support that was only .15" tall by .25" wide.
I might add wen the print was finished a lot of the tall support was welded to the build and hard to get off.

markm

Postby markm » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:28 pm

Noren wrote:Or extrude less plastic. I prefer that to Z-hop. Just change your filament flow rate in the advanced tab. I usually use 92-94 for PLA and 98 for ABS. That you hit the plastic could also be due to wrong z-distance between nozzle and bed. If you are a little too close. I think that Z-hop isn't activated by default because with tuned settings/flowrate you don't need it and it adds some time to your print time. And with some prints it can cause problem. If you have a lot small details and plastic that likes to flow easily out of the nozzle you can get small "tips" there the z-hop takes place. And you can hit these and knock parts away. But in most case z-hop will help you though. :)

Thanks Noren, I'll try the flow rate in lieu of z-hop. Previously I'd found that I had to use z-hop on about everything that was small or didn't have a lot of bed surface or it would knock the models over. Another thing I found while trying to control stringing was that almost any extra restart amount after a retraction would leave high spots that would then hit the nozzle.

red

Postby red » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:51 pm

markm wrote:I'm about 30 hours into a PLA build with support and I keep coming back to find the support structures broken. So far I've been able to save it by taping them back up but why? I can occasionally hear the nozzle dragging across these structures while traversing. Why does the support seem to be higher than the normal print, or maybe the normal print is just stronger and doesn't break. I'm using the default support, kind of a zig-zag pattern, are there other settings I should be using to avoid this?

How did this work out for you?

I was having the same issue. I find that the auto support feature (prior to slicing) creates skinny isolated columns that are easily knocked over, but when I use the slicer's supports, they are significant enough to not be susceptible to any grazing by the nozzle. Maybe not the best choice, as the slicer supports feel like overkill.

markm

Postby markm » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:03 am

Z-hop or vertical lift on retraction with S3d works well.

red

Postby red » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:36 pm

markm wrote:Z-hop or vertical lift on retraction with S3d works well.

Thanks.

S3d looks nice. I assume you prefer it over Ideamaker?

markm

Postby markm » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:45 am

I use both, got S3D because I couldn't get Raise3d to do some complicated stuff and it's easier for me to understand.

Return to “Pro2 Series”