Pro2 - Temperature Sensor Error

NHBB

Pro2 - Temperature Sensor Error

Postby NHBB » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:21 pm

Hello,

Our Pro2 keeps getting the temperature sensor error. We are printing mainly ASA and ABS at 260C nozzle and 105C bed temperatures. The error only occurs at warm up, either through running "print" or manually heating them up. If the machine manages to get to temp it will print the entire print without issue. Sensors and hot ends have all been replaced with no change. All connections have been looked at, re-seated, etc with no change. The problem is random; it might not show up for weeks but then there will be a day (like today!) where it needs to be restarted several times before a print will make it. From previous threads I have found on this issue the solution seems questionable and I haven't seen a "resolved" one yet. Is there anything that can be done about this? This is really the #1 complaint we have with the machine (besides the jamming, which fan mods have 90% fixed). If it could be rebooted remotely it wouldn't be as bad but the network connection breaks on this error, and it must be reset on the screen in person.

Ryan@Raise3D

Re: Pro2 - Temperature Sensor Error

Postby Ryan@Raise3D » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:53 pm

Can you export your serial port log and post it so I can see what is occurring? You can find the log by clicking the gear icon in the top right corner of the touch screen → click more settings → click serial port log and export the folder to a usb and send it to me.

NHBB

Postby NHBB » Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:03 pm

Hi Ryan,

Here is the log, it gave the error just prior to exporting it.
Attachments
all-raisetouch-986-20211209085757.tar.gz
(732.49 KiB) Downloaded 81 times

NHBB

Postby NHBB » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:35 pm

I would say at this point I get the error and have to reboot the machine 2-3 times before a print will get past that point and start.

Ryan@Raise3D

Postby Ryan@Raise3D » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:59 am

The issue here is very likely due to a bit of an over sensitivity of the firmware with detecting a thermal runaway and the best way to ensure this doesn't happen is to have the silicone socks on the print heads as these will insulate the hot ends and help ensure steady heating.

Another thing that can help here is heating up the hot ends separate from the heated bed by changing the order in the Gcode tab of your template settings. I suggest heating the bed first as this is what takes the longest time.

NHBB

Postby NHBB » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:16 pm

Hi Ryan,

This touches on what might be a bug somewhere between ideaMaker and the Pro2: the Gcode heating settings do not change what the Pro2 does when warming up. Setting the bed to turn on first still results in everything heating simultaneously, at least at first. I suspect it has to do with the Pro2 overriding any Gcode warmup because it's trying to ensure a heatup for proper (potential) hot end switching. I've checked the Gcode myself and it "should" heat up the bed before it does anything with the hot ends, but that is not the case when run in the Pro2. Behavior also seems to be different if you're using left vs right hotend for printing (I'm using the right as another group uses the left with their preferred material. Both groups have the temperature error issue). I posted a graph in another thread about the heat up behavior that doesn't correspond to the gcode: https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21946

I do run with silicone socks all the time. Are there any plans to adjust the firmware? There have been a number of reports of this same issue on these forums.

NHBB

Postby NHBB » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:33 pm

Here is what ideaMaker generates when choosing "heat bed first":

M221 T1 S94.00
M140 S105.00
M190 S105.00
M104 T1 S260.00
M109 T1 S260.00
T1

From what I can tell this should heat the bed to 105, then heat hotend 1 (right) to 260. However this is not what happens when running this in the Pro2. It wouldn't make sense to anyway, as it's not supposed to switch nozzles unless both are heated. Both nozzles and heat bed turn on and then enter a strange sequence as posted in my other thread.

It seems this is intended per this thread from 3 years ago: https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=8408

However I've witnessed the machine switch nozzles when both hotends were NOT up to temperature so that doesn't always work properly.

Ryan@Raise3D

Postby Ryan@Raise3D » Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:08 am

Thank you for the update. I can reach out to the idea maker team to see what else we can do here.

NHBB

Postby NHBB » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:27 pm

I updated the touchscreen software and the error and options are different now. It says error 3012 and gives you the option to export the logs before rebooting. So here is the log I got today. I also ran through the PID auto calibration for each nozzle but that didn't make any difference.

all-raisetouch-985-20211217120232.tar.gz
(891.93 KiB) Downloaded 80 times

Ryan@Raise3D

Postby Ryan@Raise3D » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:50 am

Thank you for the log. I can see the issue and I have sent this over to the Raise Touch team and one thing they said that could help out here is if you can install the Silicone socks on the print heads as this will make sure the print heads themselves are able to reach the proper temperatures in the expected times. If you need replacement socks you can find them here https://www.raise3d.com/products/hot-en ... one-cover/

NHBB

Postby NHBB » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:29 pm

Hi Ryan,

We are running with both socks installed and they're in good shape. We are using a fan mod across the heat sinks which has fixed the jamming problems we used to have constantly. Perhaps the increased cooling causes some timing issues with the heat up? In any case we won't be going back to stock cooling as that would cost us even more time and money reaming and drilling out jams, and replacing hot ends and bed surfaces constantly. There isn't any actual problem with the machine here, it's all in the software. Once a print makes it to start it prints the entirety without any issues or errors.

Ryan@Raise3D

Postby Ryan@Raise3D » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:02 am

Thank you for the update. The 3rd party cooling solution could cause this issue and if you do not wish to return to the stock cooling this issue may not go away.

NHBB

Postby NHBB » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:57 pm

Understood, but this is a frustrating problem as we have to trade one problem for another. The stock cooling can cause serious jamming issues as posted in these forums by many, but does not seem to be recognized by Raise3D. As I said, clearing constant jams is even more inconvenient and expensive. If I was relying on this machine for time sensitive production rather than prototype work we would have scrapped it already. As it is we won't be adding another Raise3D machine in the future with the current reliability problems.

Other posters have had the same temperature problem with (as far as I know) stock machines and there never seems to be a great answer for them either. Just scratching heads and replacing every part to see if it helps. Why Raise cannot adjust the heat up timing in the firmware and fix the problem for those of us that have it I don't understand. My guess is the problem is worse going to higher temps up around 260C (ABS, ASA).

Ryan@Raise3D

Postby Ryan@Raise3D » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:56 pm

We have not found any issues with our cooling solution when all components are functioning properly and in the case of PLA, the lid is removed. The most common issue with jamming is if the front fan of the print head is not spinning properly and not cooling the hot ends properly.

NHBB

Postby NHBB » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:59 pm

It's worth noting the temperature error occurred prior to any cooling upgrades, although perhaps at a lower rate. So it was a problem (as was the jamming) on the machine 100% stock.

Ryan@Raise3D

Postby Ryan@Raise3D » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:27 am

Thank you for the update. I have noted this to the development team so they can make any adjustments

3dm

Postby 3dm » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:08 am

We were having this issue after taking the socks off. After putting them back on this problem was resolved.
Thanks
Last edited by 3dm on Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3D Matters
Experts in hard wearing materials; ceramic and metals
www.3dmatters.co.uk

Saperusa

Postby Saperusa » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:46 pm

NHBB wrote:Understood, but this is a frustrating problem as we have to trade one problem for another. The stock cooling can cause serious jamming issues as posted in these forums by many, but does not seem to be recognized by Raise3D. As I said, clearing constant jams is even more inconvenient and expensive. If I was relying on this machine for time sensitive production rather than prototype work we would have scrapped it already. As it is we won't be adding another Raise3D machine in the future with the current reliability problems.

Other posters have had the same temperature problem with (as far as I know) stock machines and there never seems to be a great answer for them either. Just scratching heads and replacing every part to see if it helps. Why Raise cannot adjust the heat up timing in the firmware and fix the problem for those of us that have it I don't understand. My guess is the problem is worse going to higher temps up around 260C (ABS, ASA).

Hi,

I believe that the sectioned PRO2 working under optimal conditions can be a dedicated printer for small production.
My PRO2 works virtually non-stop at least six days a week and always with materials with temperatures above 250°
ABS, ASA, NYLON, PC and once finished a batch of pieces of different materials you go to assemble before you can send them to customers.
The printer taken in April in fact by the end of June is incessantly in non-stop production.
The point is to understand the weaknesses and correct them.

The first weak point of this printer is the front fan.
Many forumers complain about the hot end but in reality, the hotends have no problem, the problem is how the front fan has been sized but above all the reliability of the same.
Also doing a regular maintenance, cleaning, removal filaments on the blades, after a while the fan does not keep its RPM.
The luck is that if you have a tachometer you can always check before starting a print if there are problems you can rest assured that the problems come.
I challenge anyone to understand that the fan is working properly at 4800 rpm as per technical info.
For this reason I replaced the fan with a SUNON maglev oversized and happy living (10 US$).
Second point, the temperature of the motor on the extruders.The problem can arise with those filaments that soften at low temperatures and with economic pla even with the lid raised.
But also with Hi-temp filaments with long time print.
Put a heat sink on top of the engine and sideways and the problem is solved (16US$).
Third point.
Never change filament without first cleaning the nozzle, ever.
If you look on a Polymaker leaflet always write to clean the nozzle before changing material it regardless of the material.
Whether it’s PLA, PETG, Nylon, PC, ABS, ASA Polymaker tells you that you MUST clean the nozzle first to avoid partial clog.
With these few rules, PRO 2 works like a donkey without ever stopping and without giving a problem.

Another thing

The dish you see is produced by a German company and lasts a lifetime.
Forget the Buildtakche after 2 months of continuous printing becomes unusable, this you go on a decade without a problem and virtually indestructible.
After a hundred prints a bit of nebulized water over 90° and regenerates.
the print stick without glue or adhesives and plate always remains as new.
Cost,150US$ including shipping in Europe (I live in Italy).
I got tired of changing buildtak or lockbuild every month and a half.
Attachments
IMG-8842.jpg
IMG-8841.jpg
IMG-8840.jpg

NHBB

Postby NHBB » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:23 pm

Saperusa wrote:Hi,

I believe that the sectioned PRO2 working under optimal conditions can be a dedicated printer for small production.
My PRO2 works virtually non-stop at least six days a week and always with materials with temperatures above 250°
ABS, ASA, NYLON, PC and once finished a batch of pieces of different materials you go to assemble before you can send them to customers.
The printer taken in April in fact by the end of June is incessantly in non-stop production.
The point is to understand the weaknesses and correct them.

The first weak point of this printer is the front fan.
Many forumers complain about the hot end but in reality, the hotends have no problem, the problem is how the front fan has been sized but above all the reliability of the same.

Well yes, again it needs to be modded to be reliable, as you have done yourself. I went with a different fan also to correct the cooling issue. The stock fan gave us nothing but problems. I think we went through 2 or 3 of them.

I'm not sure what you are saying about the heated platform, are you suggesting a particular brand?

Steven@Raise3D

Postby Steven@Raise3D » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:32 am

3dm wrote:We were having this issue after taking the socks off. After putting them back on this problem was resolved.
Thanks

Thank you for the feedback.

Return to “Pro2 Series”