RepRap Full Graphics Display

A6y_N0rma1

RepRap Full Graphics Display

Postby A6y_N0rma1 » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:50 pm

I recently purchased a RepRap Discount Full Graphics Display. My understanding is that my current FW (1.1.6-rev1) supports this board. I plugged the two cables from Exp1 and Exp2 to the same locations on the MCB, but all I get is a blue screen. Does anyone know for sure if the Raise3D provided version of 1.1.6-rev1 has this feature enabled or do I need to get the code, enable it myself, and create a new .firm file?

Jetguy

Re: RepRap Full Graphics Display

Postby Jetguy » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:22 pm

#1 yes, that firmware supports it, NO NEED TO DO ANYTHING.
#2 depending on which display you got a long standing issue is the standard is the plugs can be backwards on some display boards!!!
This is a mistake that somehow happens often. Some time ago, the very first ones got soldered backwards compared to the design. Then over time, there came out correct versions and others retained the swapped plug orientation. So yes, sorry to say, hit or miss.

Basic troubleshooting steps:
#1 only plug in the display when the machine is off. Then when powered on, it should start and display. The firmware can detect when/if thedisplay is plugged in at boot, so plugging in while powered could/would result in a blank display.
#2 If it doesn't work that way (plugged in. normally), unplug the ribbon cables at the display, turn the tab opposite to the mating socket and YES, believe it or not, jam it in backwards (the socket will flex and allow it to plug this way) and it should work.
Sometimes, I take a razor knife and shave or taper the "key" tab on the cable end to make inserting backwards a little easier.

Cable 1 carries the power and the data for the screen
Cable 2 carries the control wires for the encoder.
You can test with only cable 1 plugged in.
Last edited by Jetguy on Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:27 pm

Last edited by Jetguy on Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:34 pm

Again, sorry for this being confusing but again, the problem is that the very group that first made Reprap discount displays made the mistake.
It (the mistake of flipped plugs compared to proper orientation) sort of became the standard. Then others came along and corrected the mistake. This results in 2 standards, correct, and flipped.
Completely hit or miss who sells what, if both a particular Reprap mainboard is flipped to or if the display you bought is flipped.
you only have to flip at one end.

You can test for basic orientation using only cable1, keep in mind, you do have to reboot the mainboard when plugging and unplugging.
Once you know the correct orientation for cable 1, then cable 2 matches (flipped or not flipped).

A6y_N0rma1

Postby A6y_N0rma1 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:05 am

I purchased mine from 3DMakerWorld in the US. It has a green PCB and is not a red one as seen in many of the Chinese clones. I finally figured what was wrong and I've got it booted up and functional. The socket keying was correct. The problem was that the sockets themselves were mislabeled. The solution was to cross hook up Exp1 and Exp2 from the MCB to Exp2 and Exp1 on the graphics board. I'll be letting the manufacturer know about this. FWIW, the upper socket on the N2 was labeled Exp1 and the one underneath it was labeled Exp2.

Return to “N Series”