Slice Engineering Mosquito Hotend Adapters

projectninellc

Slice Engineering Mosquito Hotend Adapters

Postby projectninellc » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:46 pm

Hey fellow N2 printer owners!

I have been enjoying printing on my N2 Plus with the original V2 hotends and Bondtech extruders for several years now, but I am now finding that I need more flexibility in changing nozzles for the variety of projects I am running through my machine. I think it is time to move over to the Mosquito hotend system for both the quick nozzle changeovers and the ability to mix and match their high-flow on one position, and high-detail in the other.

The Mosquito system uses the same size bores for the heater cartridge and the temp probe, so inserting the existing Raise components is an easy swap. The only part required is a simple adapter from the Raise3D mount to the Mosquito m2.5 threaded pattern. I whipped that up, and sent it to my machine shop. I am currently having 20 made, and so will have several spares. If anyone would like them, they will be available at $20/each plus shipping from Indianapolis. I will probably have 12 extra available, and can certainly make more if there is any interest.

Its a simple adapter, and will be machined from 6061 and anodized, but when installed in the Raise3D cross-block, will not be visible.

Renderings attached. Post or shoot me a note if you want me to set one or a pair aside. Just trying to help some fellow N2 owners try this new hotend design.
Attachments
Slice N2 Hotend Mount 3.png
Slice N2 Hotend Mount 4.png
Slice N2 Hotend Mount 2.png
Slice N2 Hotend Mount.png

Ari

Re: Slice Engineering Mosquito Hotend Adapters

Postby Ari » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:16 pm

PM sent at 14.11 on 12 June 20 (I think ...if I have done it right. It appears in my 'Outbox' but not the 'Sent Messages' folder).

projectninellc

Postby projectninellc » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:15 pm

Ari, sent an email back to you. Looking forward to getting some more feedback on this setup.

projectninellc

Postby projectninellc » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:03 pm

I had a couple people ask about the net effect on the Z range. This hotend does extend lower than the standard Raise N2 V2 hotend.

Depending on the nozzle height of your printer now, the total amount of height lost to the Slice hotend would be 10-12mm

For my applications, that is not an issue, as I have never really printed anything that has fully used the Z height of the Raise, but it is worth mentioning for those with super tall prints.

Adapters should be shipping to me this week, and I will drop them off for anodizing when they arrive. I am guessing they will be available the end of next week or shortly thereafter.

hans (at) projectninellc.com

projectninellc

Postby projectninellc » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:15 pm

I received the adapters today, and took them over to get anodized. I will post some assembled photos as soon as they get back, and with hotends installed in a printer.

detroitus

Postby detroitus » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:43 pm

I PM'd you about this as well.

Kurtyard

Postby Kurtyard » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:28 pm

What nozzles are used with this hotend, any 6mm nozzles for 1.75 filament?

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:00 am

I'll be interested to know if there's any noticeable improvement in the printing - speed or quality.

A6y_N0rma1

Postby A6y_N0rma1 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:16 pm

I sent you a PM.

projectninellc

Postby projectninellc » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:32 am

Kurtyard wrote:What nozzles are used with this hotend, any 6mm nozzles for 1.75 filament?

Slice has several of their own hardened Vanadium nozzles (which carry a lifetime wear warranty) but you can also use any standard Raise/E3D compatible nozzle, so there are plenty of other options.

https://www.sliceengineering.com/collec ... e%E2%84%A2

The nice thing about the Slice is since the hotblock is supported, you can change nozzles on the fly. They even offer a simple 6mm nozzle torque wrench for one-handed nozzle install.

Hoping to get the test setup installed early this week. Will post pictures when its all up and running.

jean-claude

Postby jean-claude » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:21 pm

Hello,
Please show with pictures how this is done.
I have an N2 + with BONDTECH (double) and I'm not sure how to do it.
This solution is quick and easy! Why not try it ?!
I would be interested in two adapters but I live in BELGIUM !!! I could pay by PAYPAL ...
Simple question, is it a MAGNUM or normal version and if it's normal why not a MAGNUM?
Thanks for sharing

Kurtyard

Postby Kurtyard » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:15 pm

projectninellc wrote:
Kurtyard wrote:What nozzles are used with this hotend, any 6mm nozzles for 1.75 filament?

Slice has several of their own hardened Vanadium nozzles (which carry a lifetime wear warranty) but you can also use any standard Raise/E3D compatible nozzle, so there are plenty of other options.

https://www.sliceengineering.com/collec ... e%E2%84%A2

The nice thing about the Slice is since the hotblock is supported, you can change nozzles on the fly. They even offer a simple 6mm nozzle torque wrench for one-handed nozzle install.

Hoping to get the test setup installed early this week. Will post pictures when its all up and running.

Looking forward to it - i‘m very interested in hassle free nozzle change

detroitus

Postby detroitus » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:05 pm

Actually, I'm curious if anyone has any information about how the Slice Engineering hot ends compare to the E3D hot ends? I've been using the E3D V6 hot end (using this adapter https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php ... &hilit=E3D ) with the Bondtech extruder on my N2 for a couple years now and have been having good results. I'm interested in being able to do a faster nozzle swap (but in all honesty the E3D nozzle change procedure is really easy too), but I'm wondering if there is any real gain to be had with the Mosquito hot end?

Has anyone actually looked at these two side by side?

projectninellc

Postby projectninellc » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:28 am

I just installed the hotends this evening, and only have one print in, but I did do a nozzle swap after I had them installed, and the entire process took about 20 seconds, so that is a win.

Anodizing shop did a really nice job, excellent finish.... but they hard blacked the part and the build-up caused an interference fit in the lower raise plate. I sanded two test pieces down to get them to slide into the cast lower block. I did notice there are lots of burs from the set-screw tapping process, which also made the fit a bit tight. I will make a fixture to turn these down a hair in the lathe, and if there is enough interest/demand, I will run another batch and make sure they dont get hard coated.

I removed the directional ducts and am using the original fans just as hotend cooling. I will make some ducts to mount the part coolers and use the active pins on the breakout board. Attaching the stock fans required shorter M3x16 screws. I also flipped the Z-stop adjuster so it mounted above the bed carriage instead of below. Those were the only modifications necessary.

Here is one crummy picture.
Attachments
IMG_1978.JPEG

cnguyen714

Postby cnguyen714 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:28 am

Looks great! How are you liking them compared to the original v2 hotends?

Return to “N Series”