Printer making grinding noise and offset first layer of raft

Biggeek

Printer making grinding noise and offset first layer of raft

Postby Biggeek » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:48 am

Hello anyone who might be able to help me..

I have had my machine since the kickstarter.. it has never printed great... but well enough for what I needed.. sometimes I needed to replace parts.. and I did need to replace the ribbon cable, main board, steppers and a couple motors, hot ends, thermocouplers etc....
So my machine has been slowly printing worse and worse over the last 3 weeks or so, I have tried the following.

1. Made sure the z gap was correct and the first few layers where printing proper. Which it was
2. When the prints where still poor quality.. stepping on the sides I updated all the software, slicer etc..
3. When the prints were still getting stepping and sometimes knocking the prints off the bed all together.. I checked the z hop again.. apparently installing the updates re sets settings...

My machine still wouldnt print very well... I noticed a grinding noise when it moved towards the back/center of the machine, and it wouldn't home properly. And the rafts for anything larger than a calibration cube would not complete, the machine makes vibration/grinding noise and stays still then proceeds to print the raft with a 1-3 cm offset depending on the print.

So I tried the Gantry Adjustment.. which really doesnt explain the process very welll.. and the pictures didnt help. I am not 100% I did this properly... but it didnt seem to change anything.

So now I cant print anything unless its very small.. 2 ich square at best.. I have uploaded videos and pictures.. any help would be great.

Ok so here are some links to videos with the sounds.. I cant figure out how to upload them into the post.
Small print still making noise but prints fine
https://youtu.be/szjKhMtqcDo
Larger print raft started, noise and then offset... then home is all wrong
https://youtu.be/_OhqwTOR15g
And this one shows the homing after I stopped the print.. makes a grinding noise and stops about 20mm before home
https://youtu.be/pbiHM5ouNM0

This is the small callibration cube raft printing fine
CC_Raft.jpg

Here is the offset I was talking about
IMG_4615.JPEG

And this is where the machine think home is now
Home.jpg

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Printer making grinding noise and offset first layer of raft

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:22 am

Please disable the motors from touchscreen and move the extruder around manully and check whether the noise is there. If so, moving in which direction or which section sounds worse. Videos can show the noise will be very helpful.

Biggeek

Postby Biggeek » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:25 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Please disable the motors from touchscreen and move the extruder around manully and check whether the noise is there. If so, moving in which direction or which section sounds worse. Videos can show the noise will be very helpful.

Yes I uploaded videos you can look at.... if you click on the links in my first post...

Small print still making noise but prints fine
https://youtu.be/szjKhMtqcDo
Larger print raft started, noise and then offset... then home is all wrong
https://youtu.be/_OhqwTOR15g
And this one shows the homing after I stopped the print.. makes a grinding noise and stops about 20mm before home
https://youtu.be/pbiHM5ouNM0

Already disabled the motors and tried to move the extuder around.. it doesn't make noise.. but its almost impossible to move around.. even turned off after I disabled them.. I have to move it with the gantry blocks..

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:18 am

Some things to check:
1) The couplers to the x and the y motors. These motors run the belts that run the x and y rods. Make sure they have not come loose.
2) Are you greasing the cross rods (the ones that go through the printer head block) ? The ball bearing s in there need to be lubricated
3) Most likely, and maybe in addition to other problems, the gantry needs to be squared up. Follow the docs on this. I know you said you had trouble understanding them, but you are going to have to self teach yourself this from the docs until you have everything lined up perfectly. This is vital.

Good luck
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

Biggeek

Postby Biggeek » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:14 am

OK thanks I will try the first 2 things and see if that helps.. for the gantry..I'm pretty lost. The instructions and the pictures contradict themselves.

With the Gantry adjustment doc I am having trouble mostly with where I'm supposed to be placing the blocks.. and what screws I unscrew and tighten at what times.
The instructions say move the gantry to the left.. but in the pictures its clearly on the right side of the printer.
It also has tighten all 8 screws in the picture.. there are 4 at most in the pic.
Also loosening the Gantry block screws.. what does that do? I dont understand where that would adjust anything on the gantry except the belts?

JohnSays wrote:Some things to check:
1) The couplers to the x and the y motors. These motors run the belts that run the x and y rods. Make sure they have not come loose.
2) Are you greasing the cross rods (the ones that go through the printer head block) ? The ball bearing s in there need to be lubricated
3) Most likely, and maybe in addition to other problems, the gantry needs to be squared up. Follow the docs on this. I know you said you had trouble understanding them, but you are going to have to self teach yourself this from the docs until you have everything lined up perfectly. This is vital.

Good luck

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:57 pm

Okay, Biggeek, but I think you need to live up to your name and read some more posts and work out how to do it. <g>

I forgot one really important thing to look for when you hear grinding: Make sure that the x-y cross rods are not protruding into the inside of your machine and thus scraping. The screws that hold the x or y cross rods from sliding can be tightened when the rod is pushed up against the inside of the machine and thus scrape. I did this on mine without knowing about the problem and it took me hours to finally work it out becasue you cannot see the area being scraped -- it is hidden under the lip of the frame.

I will stress again how important it is to learn how to adjust the gantry. A non-squared gantry will give you endless trouble and you will never get a really nice print. Once you really understand the mechanism, it will be obvious what you need to do and how. Btw, I used the yellow retaining clips that held the cross rods in place for shipment to locate the rods perfectly parallel to the spinning rods. I would advise getting your eyes on several posts of people asking how to align the gantry and pay close attention to whatever Jetguy has to say. Do not use the printed U-shaped piece that the instructions say to use to slide into place. Look out for drive pulleys that don't unstick from the rods when you have loosened the two set screws.

I can think of no reason to loosen those block screws you mention. I think that comes from the idea that the rod is held firmly by the block but it is not. Only tighten one screw on each end of the cross rods. In fact, eliminate the other screw. You do this because the system can be over-constrained by tightening both sides.
- John

2 Raise3D N2 Duals, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection, Firmware 1.1.9ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette 2 Pro, Custom E3D hot end and ultra-light carriage and printer head

Return to “N Series”