N2+ no motor movement

Evan

N2+ no motor movement

Postby Evan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:48 pm

My N2+ was sitting unplugged for about 4-5 months. It was printing fine when I unplugged it, but now that it's plugged back in and battery fully charged again the axis motors won't move. It doesn't make any sound or any indications that it's powered at all. I'm wondering if the stepper drivers are blown somehow, or the control board itself is dead and needs to be replaced. Other than checking the wiring, which I have, I'm not sure what else I can do to diagnose the issue and get to the root of the problem. Any insight/suggestion is appreciated.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: N2+ no motor movement

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:47 pm

All three directions don't move or only one direction doesn't move? Heating codes can be sent to nozzles and bed and heat them up with no issues?

Evan

Postby Evan » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:59 am

Hi Vicky

All 3 axis are not moving in any direction. I can get the hotend to heat up, but the extruder motors won't move either. I probed the stepper drivers and they're getting 5v, but there's no voltage coming from the 4 pin connectors going to the stepper motors. I opened up the bottom and probed the psu, everything reads 24v. The motherboard seems OK so I don't know what else to check. Thanks.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:27 pm

I would recommend you buy one new stepper driver on either XY or Extruder and test it on your the same port on your board and see how it comes out.

Evan

Postby Evan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:17 pm

Thanks Vicky,

I will try that. But what is the chances of all the stepper drivers going bad at the same time? And if it's possible, what would have been the cause?

Thanks again,
Evan

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:43 am

We have met some cases before that one of the drivers has issue short the port and the drivers around it and we have also seen cases before that drivers being installed backward kill the board and the driver itself.

Evan

Postby Evan » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:12 pm

Thank you. I'll replace the stepper drivers with new ones and report back. Hopefully that'll do the trick.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:01 pm

Make sure you cut the power off before installation the drivers and make sure the drivers have being installed in correct directions.
You can power on with no driver installed first then put one driver on at one time and power on to see whether it makes difference.
If the printer still doesn't work, it will be highly likely the motion controller board.

Evan

Postby Evan » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:13 am

Hi Vicky,

Is the TMC2208 a direct replacement for the older stepper drivers? I figured I might as well upgrade the drivers while I'm at it.

Thanks,
Evan

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:55 pm

Highly suggest you go back and read this thread https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php ... 208#p29210

In short, NO, there is some required technical details to implement these, motors (specifically Z axis or Extruder feeders )may go the incorrect direction and so forth.

Also caution when plugging in any drivers and the easy way to blow them all
Yes, if you plugged in backwards at minimum it blows the drivers and worst case, blows ALL the drivers, even the ones NOT plugged in backwards and the board all in one shot.

I cannot stress enough, stepper drivers have both 24V main power and 5V logic circuits. When you plug them in backwards and blow them NO THE FUSE WILL NOT SAVE YOU. This is why you double check before ever turning on power after replacing any stepper driver. Even just shifting it over in the socket by a pin row is just as bad a mistake.

Evan

Postby Evan » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:00 pm

Well I tried with just the extruder motors drivers today since I had some spare A4988 laying around. I removed all the existing stepper drivers, plugged in one new A4988 to E0 and it's still not doing anything. I removed it, took a different new A4988 and plugged it in E1 and still nothing. What I have noticed is that when the board first starts up the RX and TX lights on the board will flash. But once I try to do anything with any motors both lights will turn off. I guess the next step is ordering a new board and go from there.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:40 am

The lights just indicate when the console is sending or receiving gcode. If no commands are being sent, the chatter is just temperature reporting back to the LCD control subsystem.

That said, again, if the stepper drivers died, the board likely died with it. So replacing everything isn't the worst idea- however identifying why it blew might prevent blowing a brand new board.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:59 am

Just on a whim before blowing a lot of money replacing I board, I would have long ago plugged in a less than $20 direct LCD control panel (since this is an N series and that is supported) and commanded the board and firmware directly for more accurate troubleshooting.
As seen this this topic https://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php ... ter#p27238

I say this, because I'm worried since you mentioned the RX and TX, you either do not know or cannot troubleshoot properly to determine if the front panel is sending the commands the motion board is actually receiving them. Using a direct attached to the motion board control panel eliminates the entire front panel and USB communications from being a potential problem. You are literally direct controlling the actual firmware that controls the hardware. You'll know if the firmware is booting and running, you know if you commanded a move, and then if it still doesn't work, you have some level of confidence replacing the board and stepper drivers is required and further, adding this control panel can improve printer performance on certain prints for direct from SD card printing (something a recent Pro2 user had issues with the front panel failing into a 70+ hour print). You can do this and Pro2 users cannot. That's actually a huge bonus for holding onto a N series.

Evan

Postby Evan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:45 pm

Thanks jetguy, I'll try that first.

Return to “N Series”