Upgraded to a Duet 2 Controller

FreedomRules

Upgraded to a Duet 2 Controller

Postby FreedomRules » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:17 pm

I finally got around to upgrading the controller on my Raise3D to a Duet 2 Wifi Controller with filament monitoring. I just got what I'd consider phase 1 completed yesterday. The new main board in and printing and it took a fair amount of new wiring. Actually with no calibrations done yet it printed a calibration cube with no issue. Once I get it calibrated I will continue to install the rest of the components. I've purchased all new Hall-e end stops and a Precision Piezo Universal Z-probe Kit for the new custom bed I had already installed. It uses 3 boards with dual PIEZO sensors on them that monitor flexing when the nozzle touches the bed. They are attached to my triangle pattern bed leveling system. On my Mac I setup an action folder that anytime I save a gcode file into it it transfers the file to the Duet for printing. One could also tell it to print after transmitting with rr_code but I just go into the web gui and tell it to print for now. I could also use the Post Process function on Simplify3D as well but prefer this method as it allows me to preview and make sure I'm ready to send file.

I figure I'll get it up and running smoothly with several test prints then maybe give Klipper firmware a shot. Not sure if I'll put a new display Panel in just yet or wait for the new Duet 3 board to see if it brings a new integration method for interacting with the Print. I really do like the Raise3D panel but without there source code it'd be a serious pain to try and integrate their modded PCDuino into it. Klipper firmware can use a couple of controller solutions. Like AstroPrint, OctoPrint and even recently Duet Web Control. Klipper uses either a Raspberry Pi or in my case a linux VM to do all the calculations then uses the onboard controller whether stock 8 bit controller or an upgraded 32 bit controller as just a motion controller. Supposedly people are getting pretty awesome prints off of it but who knows. I just like to tinker and this gives me something to do when I'm taking a break from other projects or home remodeling.

FreedomRules

Re: Upgraded to a Duet 2 Controller

Postby FreedomRules » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:21 am

After running the new board for several months I'm enjoying printing things again. Not a simple swap out by any means. With the new board, 10mm aluminum bed plate machined flat, upgraded 750w bed heater and a BLTouch sensor. I have to say printing things have never been more simple for me. I was always fighting the printer to get good first layer. I also use to have issues with it clogging or binding on long prints. I recently printed several 14 hour long prints flawlessly. Next upgrade is going to be the Whole print head system and carriage. Likely drive motors as well. Going to go with linear Rails and 2 print heads from a company called Slice Engineering. I really like the design of their heads and the 450 degree Celsius max temp that comes along with it. I think at this point I might as well go with a heated bed chamber. If anyone has converted over to a heated chamber I'd be welcome to any gotcha's I need to pay attention to. I'm sure I need to keep the motors out of the build chamber or build a enclosure around them with fresh air intakes and fans.

jean-claude

Re: Upgraded to a Duet 2 Controller

Postby jean-claude » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:30 am

Thank you for sharing this very interesting information AND Happy New Year to you.

Return to “N Series”