Upgraded to a Duet 2 Controller

FreedomRules

Upgraded to a Duet 2 Controller

Postby FreedomRules » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:17 pm

I finally got around to upgrading the controller on my Raise3D to a Duet 2 Wifi Controller with filament monitoring. I just got what I'd consider phase 1 completed yesterday. The new main board in and printing and it took a fair amount of new wiring. Actually with no calibrations done yet it printed a calibration cube with no issue. Once I get it calibrated I will continue to install the rest of the components. I've purchased all new Hall-e end stops and a Precision Piezo Universal Z-probe Kit for the new custom bed I had already installed. It uses 3 boards with dual PIEZO sensors on them that monitor flexing when the nozzle touches the bed. They are attached to my triangle pattern bed leveling system. On my Mac I setup an action folder that anytime I save a gcode file into it it transfers the file to the Duet for printing. One could also tell it to print after transmitting with rr_code but I just go into the web gui and tell it to print for now. I could also use the Post Process function on Simplify3D as well but prefer this method as it allows me to preview and make sure I'm ready to send file.

I figure I'll get it up and running smoothly with several test prints then maybe give Klipper firmware a shot. Not sure if I'll put a new display Panel in just yet or wait for the new Duet 3 board to see if it brings a new integration method for interacting with the Print. I really do like the Raise3D panel but without there source code it'd be a serious pain to try and integrate their modded PCDuino into it. Klipper firmware can use a couple of controller solutions. Like AstroPrint, OctoPrint and even recently Duet Web Control. Klipper uses either a Raspberry Pi or in my case a linux VM to do all the calculations then uses the onboard controller whether stock 8 bit controller or an upgraded 32 bit controller as just a motion controller. Supposedly people are getting pretty awesome prints off of it but who knows. I just like to tinker and this gives me something to do when I'm taking a break from other projects or home remodeling.

FreedomRules

Re: Upgraded to a Duet 2 Controller

Postby FreedomRules » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:21 am

After running the new board for several months I'm enjoying printing things again. Not a simple swap out by any means. With the new board, 10mm aluminum bed plate machined flat, upgraded 750w bed heater and a BLTouch sensor. I have to say printing things have never been more simple for me. I was always fighting the printer to get good first layer. I also use to have issues with it clogging or binding on long prints. I recently printed several 14 hour long prints flawlessly. Next upgrade is going to be the Whole print head system and carriage. Likely drive motors as well. Going to go with linear Rails and 2 print heads from a company called Slice Engineering. I really like the design of their heads and the 450 degree Celsius max temp that comes along with it. I think at this point I might as well go with a heated bed chamber. If anyone has converted over to a heated chamber I'd be welcome to any gotcha's I need to pay attention to. I'm sure I need to keep the motors out of the build chamber or build a enclosure around them with fresh air intakes and fans.

jean-claude

Postby jean-claude » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:30 am

Thank you for sharing this very interesting information AND Happy New Year to you.

Diagro

Postby Diagro » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:13 pm

Any guide on how to change the controller??

FreedomRules

Postby FreedomRules » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:26 pm

Diagro wrote:Any guide on how to change the controller??

I'm sorry but unfortunately no. I made several changes during the progression of this upgrade and I'm not really good at explaining things in a way most understand.

If you have any direct question about the process I"m happy to answer. Just a warning it's not just a simple board swap. I basically fully rewired the whole thing since Raise3D uses a remote tool board connected over a flat ribbon cable while the Duet2 wifi doesn't have that. I had thought about building a remote board but decided to just run all new wiring. Including buying all kinds of crimpers and wire connectors to make legit.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:41 am

Did the board fit in the existing electronics box, or did you need to make a new enclosure for it?
Also, I saw on the other 32 bit thread that you needed the thermocouple daughter-board for the hot-end temperature sensor. Does the bed temp sensor tie to the board directly - so only one daughter-board required?

Thanks.

SpectralComposites

Postby SpectralComposites » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:47 am

FreedomRules wrote:
Diagro wrote:Any guide on how to change the controller??

I'm sorry but unfortunately no. I made several changes during the progression of this upgrade and I'm not really good at explaining things in a way most understand.

If you have any direct question about the process I"m happy to answer. Just a warning it's not just a simple board swap. I basically fully rewired the whole thing since Raise3D uses a remote tool board connected over a flat ribbon cable while the Duet2 wifi doesn't have that. I had thought about building a remote board but decided to just run all new wiring. Including buying all kinds of crimpers and wire connectors to make legit.

You have done a fantastic job making the printer reach a more defined potential. I would be very interested in a kit for rewiring and board swap if you decide to offer it. Doesn't need to come with "in-depth" instructions. I'm already working on upgrading the bed element and aluminum plate.

Not looking to waste your time, name a price that makes it worth it to you.

Thanks!

rattlemycage

Postby rattlemycage » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:00 am

It is not a difficult conversion. The original Raise3D stepper motor plugs fit the Duet board should anyone want to keep the original cables. Two wires on each stepper motor plug require swapping over. There are four wires (all black) I swapped the orientation of the first two. All the cables were replaced from the board to the extrude motors and hot end. The ribbon cable is a necessity to replace, but the other cables can be used again. My decision to replace them stems from having all black cables does not bode well for fault finding in the future. Addition cables were fed to facilitate an auto levelling device later in the build. A plastic box was constructed to allow joining of wires where the original circuit board was for the hot ends. The bed temperature sensor was a three wire affair, whichever two wires I used, the temperature would not register on the Duet2 board, additionally the original hot end sensors would also not register on the Duet2. an additional Duet2 daughter board was used with PT100 for the hot ends and a PT1000 that was thermally glued to the underside of the heated bed. The original sensor was no longer used. I used a Paneldue 7inch touchscreen, this fits in the original Raise position although it is 90 degrees out.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue May 12, 2020 2:16 am

Just got my machine up and running after a Duet install along with some other mods.
Duet 2 wifi with external antenna, PT100 board for the bed heater, Thermocouple board for the extruders, & BL Touch. Also added heat/cooling to the enclosure. That is on an independent controller and not associated with the Duet board.

I'll post a few of the parts I made for my install. Here are the mounts I made to fit the board in place of the N2 control board. These lift the board away from the back of the box to allow some airflow on the back side - important for board cooling with their design.
UPDATE: I don't know if it was necessary because I haven't run the machine all that much yet, but I decided to change the blower mount in the control box to improve air flow behind the board. I cut down the pads the fan mounts on and pushed out the brass inserts. I slight countersink on the back of the box and I remounted the fan right on the floor of the box using the fatso-flatheads that come with radial fans. Now there's good air flow on the top and bottom of the board.
duet-board-mount.JPG

I bought an assortment of JST-SM connectors to use for connecting the bits and pieces together.

As others have mentioned, the temperature sensor on the bed isn't compatible with the Duet. I bought a few of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-OHM-Heraeu ... 2823772257
They're wee little things - 2mm square. Soldering was not on the list of suggested connections, so I used the crimp ends of a couple of connector pins to connect the leads to it. Heat shrink over the leads/crimps. I used a pin in pliers to hold the sensor against the bed surface and gooped JB Weld over the sensor and leads.
IMG_3641.jpg

I used a JST-SM 2-pin connector to connect the new sensor to two of the original sensor leads.

On the print head I kept the N2 board, but I'm only using it for the heater connections. Not the most efficient arrangement, but I didn't have connectors that would handle the current. I was hoping the LEDs on the board would still blinky with the heaters, but they dont. With that and adding the Duet Thermocouple board I didn't have space on the side of the print head, so I built up.
IMG_3652.jpg

IMG_3657.jpg

A warning - I just learned that making a ribbon cable extension to between the Duet board and the Thermocouple daughter board is a bad idea. The communication protocol used on the daughterboards does not do well over any significant distance. I guess I've been lucky on my N2 - Thought the N2+ was going to go live today, but can't get stable extruder temp readings.

By putting the thermocouple board on the print head I didn't have to mess with running thermocouple wire through the machine. I used a 10-lead ribbon cable and ribbon cable connectors to make an extension that I ran down to the control board. I also used ribbon cable to wire the BLTOUCH.
Attachments
control-board-mounts.stl
(206.92 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Last edited by zemlin on Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue May 12, 2020 3:16 am

The BLTOUCH is mounted dead center on the back of the print head. I have a 5-pin JST connector mounted behind the thermocouple board. I misjudged that location and I ended up having to make a short extender to get the BLTOUCH plugged in.

IMG_3654.jpg

Sorry about the sideways thumbnails. If you click on the image the full size points the right way.

Here's a wider view of the top of the machine. You can see two of the 6 fans I added for enclosure heat. I'll keep this post on topic for the Duet and can share heating info later in a separate post.
IMG_3656.jpg

The bundle of red/black leads on the head are for fans. I have 5 small squirrel cage blowers on my print head and they all plug in behind the thermocouple board.

I did not swap any leads on steppers.

Just beginning to get into it as I just ran my first test part tonight. I love the Reprap firmware setup - the ability to program things so easily. Lots of nice info on the UI. My first impression of the BLTOUCH mesh leveling is WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG. Seems pretty awesome.

Running a build plate with PEI glued on it - one that I know has issues to test out the bed mesh business.
BedMesh.JPG

I'll have to try running a part on that back corner. Might run a finer mesh to get a better map back there.

I also have some textured magnetic plates. The texture on those is pretty coarse. I'm thinking I might need to make a little foot to fit on the BL probe to bridge the bumps in the texture.

The touch screen was just disabled. I made some effort to switch it over to boot from Ubuntu so I could use it stand-alone with a web browser to control the duet. I was able to get it to boot up from the SD card, but the display brightness and contrast were completely whacked so the screen was only barely readable at a very shallow angle. I couldn't get any screen control commands to work, nor did the network connect even if just a wired connection. I figured a $40 android tablet would probably provide better functionality so it was rather pointless to put a lot of time and effort into it. For now I have my iPad by the machine. I might try to fit a new tablet into the factory housing for an almost-factory appearance - but that's low priority.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue May 19, 2020 11:20 am

Ran test prints all day yesterday to try to home in on settings for the new set up - accel, jerk, pressure advance, and dynamic accel.
I was running eSun PETG 0.4 nozzle 0.2 layer at 50mm/s and 255c.

Here's where I ended up.

M201 X2000 Y2000 Z250 E10000 ; acceleration
M566 X400 Y400 Z10 E250 ; jerk
M593 F24 ; dynamic acceleration to reduce ringing
M572 D0 S0.18 ; pressure advance

Some of this will be material/process dependent - haven't been playing long enough to know how much will be "universal".
Would be interested to see where others have ended up. Pressure Advance slows printing significantly, so on the S3D scripts tab I disable M593 and M572 for infill, support, and skirt so it only uses those features on solid infill and perimeters (both inner and outer).

Here's the model I was using for testing - ran it with a single perimeter, no top, no bottom, no infill. I slice with S3D and was incrementing the setting of interest every 40 layers/8mm.

Capture.JPG
Attachments
10-level-square.stl
(749.5 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:28 pm

Working on my N2+ now - here's a shot of the board mounted using the brackets I shared above. I replaced the blower with a 24V unit, and also removed the standoffs in the case which space the blower away from the back of the box. On my N2+ (cover screws on the box) there were inserts in holes that simply needed to be pushed out - I then ran stubby fan screws in from the back. On my N2 (cover snaps onto the box) I had to cut the bosses out of the box and push out the threaded inserts - a little more of a pain. Used the same stubby fan screws to secure the blower.

This ensures better air flow under the board, which is important for cooling the stepper drivers. It's been working well on my N2 - the blower is controlled of the Fan2 PWM connector and I haven't seen the board temp get above 50C.

Electronics Box.jpg

Thomas_StagsForge

Postby Thomas_StagsForge » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:51 am

Hi,
Working on the same project, I just bought a Raise3D N2, with Duet2Wifi and E3D Titan Aero.

Do you confirm that the Raise3D bed thermistor isn't compatible with Duet2Wifi ?
In attachaments is a diagram of what I guess is install in the Raise3D Bed. I took some measurements.

Raise3d.PNG
Raise3d.PNG (7.59 KiB) Viewed 311 times

I suppose that the 2 wires connector provided on the duetWifi should be plug on Signal and Gnd connector from Raise3D.
So the +5V pin in this configuration will be useless.

Any clue ?

Thanks,

Return to “N Series”