Questions About Thermal RunAway

Flightrider

Questions About Thermal RunAway

Postby Flightrider » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:36 am

So I experienced my first thermal run away on my N1 last week and I have some questions....

1. The machine stopped the print about 4 hours into an 8 hour print and displayed an error message. I contacted R3D and filed a ticket.
We're trouble shooting the problem with a tech long distance, email by email, but that's going to be another week or two I assume. From what I'm gathering, this could potentially be a fire hazard. Or does the board some way of protecting against that?

2. Why do I not see more on this issue from R3D? Obviously others have had the issue.

3. Not everyone who owns one of these machines frequents this board, including me until a week ago when I discovered the problem. I haven't moved since I bought the machine from an authorized retailer over a year ago. The retailer has my email address and all my contact information. Yet, it was only after I started looking did I discover that R3D has a thermal protection board. If R3D is furnishing a thermal protection board to some at no cost, I assume because of a perceived safety concern, why has R3D not contacted those of us Owners previously?

4. Has R3D published any type of bulletin on the issue? Any type of notice to owners?

5. Or am I just crying Wolf over a nothing issue? I don't know the working of this machine technically well enough to know.

Thanks for your patience and input.

Dave

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Questions About Thermal RunAway

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:01 pm

Normally the thermal runaway is due to abnormal temperature rising detected by boards. Which may be related this issue will be thermocoupler (temperature sensor for hotend), extruder board (board to control hotend heating and temperature control), motion board (main control for the whole printer) and ribbon cable (cable connecting extruder board and motion board for temperature feedback).

What's more, you can ask for a thermal protector for free from us: https://www.raise3d.com/pages/thermal-protector-orders

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:31 pm

Flightrider, There are several threads about the Thermal Runaway / Thermal Protection. I think it all started with the BMG Bondtech thread here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2594&p=17406&hilit=1+meg#p17383
You can also read this: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3524
Then there are the threads about the official thermal protector:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6580
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7046

Flightrider

Postby Flightrider » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:13 pm

Hey Guys, Thanks for your input.

Right now, I just want a fix and get my machine back up.
My thermal protector board arrived today. I will install that tonight and crank up the machine. I'm suspecting that since I got a thermal runaway even after I switched TC's between the two heads, I may have a cable ribbon issue. (I'm only using the left extruder). If I DO have a cable ribbon issue (between the main board and extrude board), then I would expect the machine to instantly flag that after I install the thermal protection board.

If not, then I guess the chase is still on to find out what's bad....

Dave

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:54 pm

Please don't hesitate to reach to us from http://help.raise3d.com to have our technicians to help you diagnose the issue if you meet any trouble.

Return to “N Series”