Improve first top layer adhesion over sparce infill

Please post your suggestions for software changes here
colinp_hughes

Improve first top layer adhesion over sparce infill

Postby colinp_hughes » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:34 am

When printing a shelled out model, taking a cup or box as a example, there will be infill to form the base and the first top layer will sit on that infill. If you misjudge the amount of infill and have large gaps there isn't enough to support the first top layer; the edge will droop, then lift, and catch the nozzle. 6 top layers and this can usually sort itself out, but the catching can risk pulling the print from the bed or clogging the nozzle and drooping edges run the risk of the wall/inside corner having holes.

The problem appears to be that the first top layer prints a solid infill beyond it's wall to provide a solid platform for the wall to start from, but the top layer doesn't get anything at its edges to latch onto.

It seems to me that printing a bounding perimeter around the edge of the first top layer would resolve this problem. It would be lost under the wall printed on top, but it would provide the necessary edge adhesion to stop them lifting.

Of course if the perimeter was complex and infill very low, then the problem would likely still exist, in which case the perimeter would need to be simplified for the best bridged adhesion based on the percentage of infill used. In this case I'm thinking it could provide some additional 'cross beams' from the outer perimeters to even provide a tighter latticework, or in other words, provide a variable tighter infill just below these first top layer islands as in dense supports or interface layers.

I hope that made sense.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Improve first top layer adhesion over sparce infill

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:25 am

Please check whether the Adaptive Infill feature introduced in this page can help your needs or not.
https://support.raise3d.com/ideaMaker/5 ... 5-438.html

Return to “Software”