Continue print from second spool

Please post your suggestions for software changes here
Rednecknerd

Continue print from second spool

Postby Rednecknerd » Tue May 14, 2019 8:29 pm

I have been searching and have not found it. Hope I just don't know what to search for.

Just started using the Raise3d Pro2 Plus. (Love it!)

I would like to be able to switch to the second print-head automatically when the first spool runs out of filament.
This would be great for multi-day prints that will use up more than a full spool or you have a partial spool left but not enough to finish a print.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Continue print from second spool

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed May 15, 2019 5:36 pm

Thanks for your suggestion. It will be a little hard to achieve at the moment, but will forward to our developing team to discuss.

Rednecknerd

Postby Rednecknerd » Thu May 16, 2019 8:11 pm

Thanks for looking into it. I just think a printer with this volume could really benefit from it.

I would think a bit of code added to the filament run-out could accomplish this. With a continue print mode needing to be selected before the start of the print.

I realize it's not as easy as just adding a few lines. But I would look at the pause print section and maybe require the right or left print-head to be run first. If continue print mode was selected and the required print-head was currently running, it would then offset for the second print-head and continue running. If the second head was used it would go into pause mode like normal.

Or even more advanced. Allow a reload of the primary spool and it could just switch based on which print-head did or didn't have material.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu May 16, 2019 11:41 pm

Yes, as you mentioned, if you want to print with the other nozzle. Then each code left in gcode file needs to be redefined so that the how far the print head move for the second nozzle to print in correct position to continue printing, how much the second nozzle extrude and the temperature it needs to go. That will be a lot needs to be taken into consideration.

Return to “Software”