Multiple STL files, not on build platform, add support structure?

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
Timon

Multiple STL files, not on build platform, add support structure?

Postby Timon » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:48 am

Hello everybody,

I am doing a dual extrusion "calibration box" currently. Meaning just a box with two different colours. I did this by piling up four smaller boxes. When I try to slice the box a message appears which reads: "file name of one .stl file" and other x models are not on the build platform and have no support, do you want to add support structures for these models?
I wonder if this message only appears because the ideaMaker does not realise that the other boxes "support" the once down lower. I pressed "yes", just to be save.

Maybe somebody knows why this message appears?

Cheers,
Timon
Attachments
IMG_3403.jpg

billbucket

Re: Multiple STL files, not on build platform, add support structure?

Postby billbucket » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:53 pm

You've got the right idea. Ideamaker is looking at each STL individually. It's not going to assume (nor should it) that those boxes are supported by other independent objects.

You should use a modeling program to build models, not a slicing program. Then, once you have a complete model of the four fused boxes, import than into Ideamaker.

Timon

Postby Timon » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:05 am

Thank you billbucket,

I am using SolidWorks for the assembly. However, I want the dual print, where I can alternate the extruder from one layer to the other. As far as I know this is only possible to do, by importing different parts as different STL files and aligning them together. Unless I would not be able to choose a different extruder for a different layer. Reference post: http://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8661

Therefore I do not see a way around this. If you have one though, please let me know, since making STL files of all parts is a very tiring process.

Cheers,
Timon

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:26 pm

Or you can import one model into ideaMaker and carry out Free Cut in ideaMaker, if the Free Cut function in ideaMaker can meet you needs. Then you have no need to create several STL during modeling.

billbucket

Postby billbucket » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:27 pm

Ah, well if you're doing the assembly elsewhere and therefore aren't expecting errors in assembly then I'd just tell Ideamaker you don't need supports and give the print a try.

Return to “Software”