Help with 3rd Party PLA

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
BazilFawlty

Help with 3rd Party PLA

Postby BazilFawlty » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:15 pm

Hi all.

I have taken delivery of my first 3D printer two weeks ago, a Raise3D Pro 2 Plus. The printer came with two coils of the Raise3D premium PLA and printing with these have been successful.

My problems arise when I try to use a third party make of PLA. The sample print I have been using during my testing is the bathtub boat from here https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2631794 which is about 4.5hrs total print time.

My first third-party PLA from Cubicon failed with the filament jamming in the aluminium section just above the hot end. Following the advice from the Raise3D wiki on using 3rd party PLA, I made some adjustments to the flow rate of the filament and slowed down the print speed and have managed to successfully print this out.

I also have some Innofil 3D PLA and I cannot for the life of me get a single successful print using this filament. It jams every single time, always in the same spot, the aluminium section with the fins that goes into the hot end. Today, for example, I have made various changes to nozzle temperatures, print speeds, flowrate % adjustments and each time, about an hour into the print filament motor starts clicking and the filament stops feeding. I then have to strip things down to clear the blockage. I have done this six times today and am about to give up. I have taken my micrometre and took readings randomly down the length of the PLA and all readings are a consistent 1.75mm diameter. The filament is less than a week old and was sealed when new. The printer and the filament is kept in the house.

The printer is up to date with the latest firmware.

Below is a record of some of the settings I have made today. In each case, the quality of the print up to the point it jams is good. Where the lower temperatures from 190 up to 210 are used the boat does break off the raft a lot easier than at the higher temperatures.

Print 1: 94% flowrate, nozzle temperature 220, infill speed at 60mm/s, 40 deg bed temp - filament jammed.
Print 2: 90% flowrate, nozzle temperature 220, infill speed at 60mm/s, 40 deg bed temp - printed 18.34mm of the model from the bed and jammed.
Print 3: 85% flowrate, nozzle temperature 220, infill speed at 60mm/s, 40 deg bed temp - printed 4mm height of the model from the bed and jammed.
Print 4: 90% flowrate, nozzle temperature 225, infill speed at 60mm/s, 40 deg bed temp - printed 3.3 mm height of the model from the bed and jammed.
Print 5: 85% flowrate, nozzle temp 210, Bed temp 40 degrees, Infill Speed 60mm/s - printed 19.62mm of the model from the bed and jammed.
Print 6: 80% flowrate, nozzle temp 210, Bed temp 40 degrees, Infill Speed 60mm/s - printed 19.64mm of the model from the bed and jammed.
Print 7: 80% flowrate, nozzle temp 190, Bed temp 40 degrees, Infill Speed 60mm/s - printed 20.00mm of the model from the bed and jammed.
Print 8: 80% flowrate, nozzle temp 185, Bed temp 40 degrees, Infill Speed 60mm/s - printed 19.68mm of the model from the bed and jammed.
Print 9: 90% flowrate, nozzle temp 210 Bed temp 60 degrees, Infill Speed 60mm/s - printed 19.73mm of the model from the bed and jammed.

Has anyone had experience in printing with the Innofil PLA or has any advice on where I'm going wrong here I would be very grateful?

The link here will show you two photos of the jam https://photos.app.goo.gl/j8jNuY4rQS6ZNY623. The first photo is where the PLA enters the part and you can see the PLA here, the second is from the threaded end that goes into the hot end. There is no PLA here, it seems to jam in the first 10mm of entering this part.

Mike.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Help with 3rd Party PLA

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:38 am

Have you tried the 3rd party PLA on right side also?
Would you like to shoot us a support ticket at help.raise3d.com? Our technicians will help confirm whether the problem is due to hardware or not.

BazilFawlty

Re: Help with 3rd Party PLA

Postby BazilFawlty » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:29 pm

Thanks Vicky. I will raise a support ticket shortly.

Return to “Printing Settings”