deactivate unused extruder

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
danielq

deactivate unused extruder

Postby danielq » Thu May 24, 2018 6:40 am

Hello Folks,

I was wondering if there is any possibility to exclude the heating up of the unused extruder?

I know I can do it manually by editing the gcode, but I hope there is a setting on ideamaker.

Thanks to everyone who can help me!

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: deactivate unused extruder

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri May 25, 2018 11:07 am

You want to stop heating of the unused nozzle after some height or stop heating every layer when nozzle switching?
If only stop heating after some height, you can try pre-layer settings.

jkralovic

Postby jkralovic » Fri May 25, 2018 4:17 pm

Under the cooling tab, you can set the unused extruder temp to 0.
It seems to work for me on software version 3.1.0 (local IT prevents me from upgrading often)

I took it a step further and physically remove the 2nd extruder feed stepper motor when I'm not using the 2nd material.
You'll be able to print a bit faster, while retaining sharp edges and high detail due to less moving mass.

danielq

Postby danielq » Mon May 28, 2018 6:18 am

In a "mono extruder" print, I wish I could stop the heating from the beginning or from the preheating of the of the extruder that is not used in all the print.

This is caused because I usually preheat both, the extruder that will be used and the bed, mannualy, before I start the printer, so I have to wait the print starting till the unused/not preheated extruder reach the target temperature.

danielq

Postby danielq » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:34 am

jkralovic wrote:Under the cooling tab, you can set the unused extruder temp to 0.
It seems to work for me on software version 3.1.0 (local IT prevents me from upgrading often)

I took it a step further and physically remove the 2nd extruder feed stepper motor when I'm not using the 2nd material.
You'll be able to print a bit faster, while retaining sharp edges and high detail due to less moving mass.

Thanks jkralovic for your suggestion, I set the temp for the other, unused extruder to 0, and it did not preheat, so this works for me also.

But what about the previous comment from raise3d support on the pre printing procedure of switching between both the extruder before starting the real print? do you think could it be a problem if the printer do it with a not heated extruder?

danielq

Postby danielq » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:39 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:You want to stop heating of the unused nozzle after some height or stop heating every layer when nozzle switching?

What I need was saving a bit of time avoiding heat the not used extruder ( now I'm printing alternating the extruder just to not change the spools continuously )

Do you think that if I set 0°C on layer 0 it will not pre-heat?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:46 am

danielq wrote:
Vicky@Raise3D wrote:You want to stop heating of the unused nozzle after some height or stop heating every layer when nozzle switching?

What I need was saving a bit of time avoiding heat the not used extruder ( now I'm printing alternating the extruder just to not change the spools continuously )

You mean setting the nozzle at 0C first layer and change its temperature in higher layers?

danielq

Postby danielq » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:46 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
danielq wrote:

You mean setting the nozzle at 0C first layer and change its temperature in higher layers?

No, sorry, I mean 0°C from the beginning to the end of the printing

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:55 am

You are currently running with Pro2 series or N series printer?
The N series can close the heating of unused nozzle during single extruder print, if the unused nozzle will not be enabled in the whole print task.
The Pro2 series will only preheat the unused nozzle before print starts, and will immediately start to cool the unused nozzle down once the print starts.

Return to “Printing Settings”