PVA (Flex Filament) and Pro2 Serie ?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Korni

PVA (Flex Filament) and Pro2 Serie ?

Postby Korni » Sun May 20, 2018 5:16 pm

Hello,

is it now possible to print / transport flexible (PVA) material with the Pro2 printers?
The "old" N printers could only do this with the Bondtech upgrade ...
Pro2+ Image

Stanislav

Re: PVA (Flex Filament) and Pro2 Serie ?

Postby Stanislav » Mon May 21, 2018 5:12 am

Pro2 is with Bondtech so it leaves the factory
Stanislav

there is always a smarter man than you

Korni

Postby Korni » Mon May 21, 2018 6:54 am

Ok, THX
Pro2+ Image

jon_bondy

Postby jon_bondy » Tue May 22, 2018 8:43 pm

I have never been able to print successfully with PVA on my N2+. If anyone else has, I would appreciate understanding how you did it. This is my main frustration with the N2+

Rogman

Postby Rogman » Wed May 23, 2018 12:46 pm

flexible filament and PVA filament are two different things. PVA or Polyvinyl Alcohol is a water dissolvable support material and flex is a rubbery thermoplastic elastomer (TPE). Which one are you having trouble with? I have printed a good 12-13 rolls of MakerFlex with little problems. i have PVA but have never needed it so i haven't tried it yet.

jon_bondy

Postby jon_bondy » Thu May 24, 2018 12:55 am

@Rogman: I have printed with PolyFlex without a problem. I have been unable to use PVA as soluble support for PLA on the N2+.

Korni

Postby Korni » Sun May 27, 2018 6:48 am

Now I search good PVA for the Pro2 Plus, any recommendations for manufacturers and settings ??
Pro2+ Image

SpaceNinjaPirate

Postby SpaceNinjaPirate » Sun May 27, 2018 8:36 pm

Korni wrote:Now I search good PVA for the Pro2 Plus, any recommendations for manufacturers and settings ??

Just to clarify, are you looking for flexible filament? Or are you looking for support filament? As pointed out earlier in this thread, PVA is a soluble support filament and is not flexible. If you're looking for flexible filament, you're looking for TPU, TPE, or there's even flexible PLA.

Korni

Postby Korni » Sun May 27, 2018 9:02 pm

NO, now looking for good support Filament/settings ...
Pro2+ Image

Jiter

Postby Jiter » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:38 pm

I have E3D spool.Works Scaffold - PVA - but I cant get it sticking or printing good.
Maybe mine is to moist.
Cheers, David
If you can dream it, you can print it! :lol:

jkralovic

Postby jkralovic » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:09 pm

I've printed with polyflex, the cheaper brand TPU's and PVA's quite successfully on my stock N2+.

For flexible materials, only use the left extruder, and run the temps on the high side for the material - you need it to flow very freely. I typically run at 235-245c
Slow the speeds way down - I print around 30mm/sec and it works well.
Layer height doesn't seem to matter too much, I've printed from .15-.25mm
Another thing I did was loosen the left stepper motor, and move it as close to the idler wheel as possible (move the motor left, if facing the front of the printer) This provides a bit more "bite" for the extruder to grip the filament.
Occasionally the printer will jam, so start with small prints and learn how to correct the jam. I heat up the head to about 250 and pull the filament up and out with the clear plastic cover off the extruders.

I would definitely recommend getting the hang of the nuances of printing dual materials before attempting to print support with PVA.
You could also experiment for a while just printing PVA objects - you'll learn a lot about proper settings doing this.

Here's the article I used when I was learning to print PVA:
https://www.matterhackers.com/news/how- ... t-material

It can be a bugger to get to stick to the bed. I usually use 800 grit sandpaper on my buildtak surface, then wipe down with alcohol before every print.
Also, print with the nozzle somewhat closer to the bed - this will be a fine balance with the main extruder if you're dual extruding for support (you'll HAVE to experiment with this.)

One of the more important rules is to never let it get hotter than 215c - it will burn and clog the nozzle.

On a side note, PVA is very sensitive to moisture in the air, so always keep this material sealed in a ziploc bag with a desiccant pack (or 2).
If you suspect it to be wet, you can put it in the oven at about 170F for 4-6 hours.

Here's a chart with some handy starting values for printing different materials.

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/mate ... ies-table/

Note that you'll always benefit testing out different temps and settings when trying new filaments - hands on is the best way to learn 3D printing.
There are a ton of articles and guides online that will help you learn different symptoms of 3D printing errors and how to fix them.

enricodare

Postby enricodare » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:38 pm

I have succeeded, but sometimes, due to the excessive heat of the extruder motors, the filament is softened and the extrusion stops
Attachments
test3.jpg
test2.jpg

firesped

Postby firesped » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:49 pm

my opinion of PVA. filament of dreams. in order to use it, you need to print extremely slowly for everything because the PVA does not react well to fast movements. so even if you are not printing it, the other material can knock it loose from the printer causing everything to fail. I tried it once and gave up after a few attempts. I think I also heard it goes bad fast once you open it as well. so don't buy huge rolls of it.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

enricodare

Postby enricodare » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:15 pm

i belive in M906 E400

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:21 am

I printed a few good testprints with Formfutura Helios Support, also compatible with ABS: https://www.formfutura.com/shop/product ... tegory=204

But I removed the second extruder because it's a pain to calibrate on the N2.

Return to “General”