Print quality troubleshooting - vertical ridges

Any topics that don't fall into above categories. Please note that your thread may be moved to other discussion boards.
innerspace

Print quality troubleshooting - vertical ridges

Postby innerspace » Thu May 17, 2018 8:04 pm

I've looked around but can't seem to find any answers to my problem. I thought at first that it may be acceleration related, but since it is in the same spots, I'm leaning more towards hardware. The vertical lines are also on the inside of the part. I'm currently using simplify3d, and I definitely don't see this in the gcode file. I recently did a different large print in PLA with no troubles, but that isn't saying much. If you need any more information, let me know.
Attachments
20180517_124853.jpg
20180517_124840.jpg
20180517_124746.jpg
20180517_124728.jpg

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Print quality troubleshooting - vertical ridges

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri May 18, 2018 10:35 am

It looks like layer start point. The first print point of each layer after layer changes.
You can edit the setting to check whether the result changes.
1.png

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri May 18, 2018 3:06 pm

Since the user is asking in Simplify 3D, here is the equivalent setting that determines how the Z zipper (location where each layer ends and lifts to the next layer)
Zipper location (start point for a layer) is on the layer tab, which defaults to optimized. This is why you see random shorter vertical lines, but on your print, it does shift to different areas.
S3D Z zipper location.jpg

That said, the OTHER thing to fix is to reduce the amount of blobbing caused by built up pressure in the extruder. What happens is, at the end of a line of extrusion, the nozzle shows down as part of normal acceleration, but the filament pressure is not even and does not bleed down at the same rate. Coast breaks the logical gcode segment into an extruding portion and then a non-extruding nozzle move at the end so this pressure still bleeds off naturally but no longer leaves a blob. That said, coast is the least technical way to reduce this artifact. This is why others are using a MUCH more advanced firmware function to pressure advance the filament so it starts at the beginning of the line and then doesn't overpressure at the end.
S3D coast.jpg

The topic on using custom firmware to enable the even better solution of firmware based pressure advance. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6244&hilit=linear

innerspace

Postby innerspace » Mon May 21, 2018 9:29 pm

You guys are awesome! Thanks.

Return to “Others”