PolyFlex not loading after PLA

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
jon_bondy

PolyFlex not loading after PLA

Postby jon_bondy » Tue May 15, 2018 6:25 pm

This is my first time with PolyFlex. I removed the PLA, did a cold pull with PLA, and then tried to load the PolyFlex at 245 (per @Julia Truchsess). All I get is clicks from the BondTech extruder. When I return to PLA, it extrudes just fine, so there is no blockage. I assume that there are dregs of PLA that the PolyFlex is unable to move, but I don't see how to clear the extruder.

jon_bondy

Re: PolyFlex not loading after PLA

Postby jon_bondy » Tue May 15, 2018 7:16 pm

I did another cold pull and managed to get not only the extruder chamber, but also some of the extruded filament to come out. After that, the PolyFlex started to work properly. I guess you have to get the hang of the cold pull, and know when to use some muscle.

jon_bondy

Postby jon_bondy » Tue May 15, 2018 7:28 pm

This is the cold pull. It looks quite a bit different than the pictures in the cold pull articles.
Attachments
20180515_152204a.jpg

jetdillo

Postby jetdillo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:18 pm

jon_bondy wrote:This is my first time with PolyFlex. I removed the PLA, did a cold pull with PLA, and then tried to load the PolyFlex at 245 (per @Julia Truchsess). All I get is clicks from the BondTech extruder. When I return to PLA, it extrudes just fine, so there is no blockage. I assume that there are dregs of PLA that the PolyFlex is unable to move, but I don't see how to clear the extruder.

You need something that can work at the temp of the previous filament and the new one.
I thought it was a bit of a gimmick at first, but now I make it a practice to run some cleaning filament through the extruder when I'm changing to significantly different materials(PLA to PETG, PETG to ABS, etc.).

https://www.amazon.com/eSUN-CLEANING-Fi ... B00MVIYNFW

Not sure what it's made of, but it has a really wide working temp of 180-250C, so it will work to help purge out most filaments you run through your printer. Run a length of it out at the same temp of the last filament you were just using until it starts to run clear.
Then unload and reload at the operating temp of the new filament, run out another hundred mm or so and NOW load in your other filament.

You could also load in another filament that has a wide operating temp and do the same operation if you don't want to shell out for the cleaning filament.

The point being, you need to purge out all the old stuff at the temperature the old filament flows at BEFORE you load in and start extruding the new filament.
Okay, I'm going to wrap up here, I'm approaching Jetguy lengths of posting :) .

Return to “Printing Settings”