Dual Extruder - Automatically Lower Temp of Extruder Not in Use

Raise3D is always hearing. If you have a feature requested related to our product, or if you have new ideas that need attention from the community, please post here.
KS_Husker

Dual Extruder - Automatically Lower Temp of Extruder Not in Use

Postby KS_Husker » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:09 pm

I think it would be really nice to be able to go where you enter the extruder temperature, and have another box to enter the "Resting Temperature" for that same extruder for when it is not in use.

I know you can make Gcode to do something similar, but this seems like something that you should be able to easily set when you are doing the rest of your print settings.

Maybe even have a docking section where you can send the extruder heads to dock, purge a set amount of filament with the new extruder, and then wipe on a brush or wall you have added, and then back out to print.

That would be really cool. I see a lot of people are trying to figure out how to make their own gcode for both of these things. There aren't any real elegant solutions that I've seen either. It would be awesome to see this implemented in your software.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Dual Extruder - Automatically Lower Temp of Extruder Not in Use

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:58 am

You mean lower the temperature of the nozzle won't be used any more in the remaining height or lower the unused nozzle every time after nozzle switching during printing?

frjez

Postby frjez » Sat May 19, 2018 4:45 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:You mean lower the temperature of the nozzle won't be used any more in the remaining height or lower the unused nozzle every time after nozzle switching during printing?

Vicky good question! Those are two distinct issues.
@KS_Husker...
Scenario 1:
Let's suppose that you want to lower the Temp during the print... and let's say that E1 is printing while E2 is "resting", so you would like to lower the Temp of E2.
In one hand that's OK. This way you would save some $ on electricity (no extra heating) and the oozing wouldn't be a problem anymore. So cool, right?
Well, after the swap the E2 is cooler than needed for that filament. So the printer should stop and re-heat the E2 in the meantime the printer is DOING NOTHING!
So, wasting time in general. You have to be aware that the extruder cools much faster than it heats!
Though doable and would almost eliminate the oozing, I don't think that this would be a good option after all.

Scenario 2: Our part has some support structure that we print it with E1 and the part itself with E2. After we finish with the E1 we only use E2 so in this situation, the E1 should be going in a "rest mode" as KS_Husker said!!! THIS IS THE WAY THAT THE PRINTER SHOULD WORK!

KS_Husker

Postby KS_Husker » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:32 pm

Sorry for the late reply Vicky,
I was talking about lowering the temperature every time you switched extruders in a dual extruder print. Such as using support material or different color material. So the nozzle that is not in use will not sit there and burn up the filament in the tip, and also so it won't keep dripping like PLA. The new Cura does this and it's pretty awesome. Theirs is even better than I thought it would be because they have figured out how long it should take to get that nozzle back up to temperature, and will start it reheating a few layers or a set time prior to when it will be in use again. They also have it start cooling down a little prior to switching to the other nozzle when it will be resting. It's pretty impressive. By doing this you don't actually have to make the extruder go to a location and "do nothing" or dwell. It is really slick.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:13 am

I have some Nozzle Switch codes for you to take a try:

; extruder switch gcode start
G1 X30 Y300 F6000
[if {new_extruder}=0]; LEFT Extruder is active (T0)
[if {new_extruder}=0]M104 S170 T1; Cool inactive extruder to 170c (T1)
[if {new_extruder}=0]M109 S205 T0; Heat active extruder to 205c (T0).
[if {new_extruder}=1]; RIGHT Extruder is active (T1)
[if {new_extruder}=1]M104 S170 T0; Cool inactive extruder to 170c (T0)
[if {new_extruder}=1]M109 S205 T1; Heat active extruder to 205c (T1).
; extruder switch gcode end

1. G1 X30 Y300 F6000
Move the extruder to a set position and stop, heat it to set value.
2. 205C is the default printing temperature for PLA. You can edit it to be different values.
3. 170C is the unused nozzle's temperature. You can modify it to be different values.

Note: it only works with ideaMaker with version not older than 3.1.7.

KS_Husker

Postby KS_Husker » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:45 am

Awesome, thank you so much for the detailed information Vicky!
We will be buying a Pro2 soon and as soon as we get it I will give this a shot.

Return to “Feature requests, ideas, wishes”