Thermal-Protector - available soon to all

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
JohnSays

Re: Thermal-Protector - available soon to all

Postby JohnSays » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:21 pm

FreedomRules wrote:Do you like the flex cable you got? Is there a logical reasoning behind choosing the 19 conductor over the 7 conductor. If my memory serves me correct signal travels on the outside of the strands so does more strands mean more a more solid signal? I'm assuming everyone is just reusing the same ends. Mine has started to exhibit issues that are pointing to the same cable. I poured over the spare parts and find it perplexing that as much as these seems to be an issue with alot of users the not only is the part not for sale but Raise3D hasn't stepped up to the plate to rectify the situation.

Well the cable itself is pretty slick -- super flexible and I think it is going to work fine. I attached some standard IDC connectors and then tested for closed, open, crossed and shorted. The result was a perfectly crimped flat cable. I have not installed it yet because my current flat ribbon cables are still okay. However, I did have a break on one of my printers at the point just before where the cable entered the cable chain. So not a problem at the connector. I think it would be a good idea for all of us to report exactly where the breaks occur and see if there is a common problem.

MDVolle - I haven't seen special connectors for my Cicoil Hi-Flex ribbon cable. Do you know where to get these?

Update: These cables use standard IDC connectors, but must be installed per the video at:
https://www.cicoil.com/videos/item/how- ... bbon-cable
Last edited by JohnSays on Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board, Firmware 1.1.8ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette+

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:49 pm

silverbuggy wrote:Hi is this thermal protector included in new shipments of n1? Sorry I might have posted this question already. Not sure where it went.

It's hard to give an answer, depending on batch.
The free request of Thermal-Protector is still open. You can request one for your printer whenever you want.

tulsah

Postby tulsah » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:49 pm

What is the typical response time by email from Raise3D? I've brought up the issue of not receiving the thermal protector several times, and it never gets addressed. Frustrating ...

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:48 am

tulsah wrote:What is the typical response time by email from Raise3D? I've brought up the issue of not receiving the thermal protector several times, and it never gets addressed. Frustrating ...

Would you like to shoot a PM to me or support@raise3d.com?
I will help follow up.

tulsah

Postby tulsah » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:29 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:
tulsah wrote:What is the typical response time by email from Raise3D? I've brought up the issue of not receiving the thermal protector several times, and it never gets addressed. Frustrating ...

I will help follow up.

I think that I sent you a PM, but I'm not sure as the forum software is a bit counter intuitive in that regard. Please let me know if you did/did not receive my message. Thank you.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:52 pm

tulsah wrote:
Vicky@Raise3D wrote:

I will help follow up.

I think that I sent you a PM, but I'm not sure as the forum software is a bit counter intuitive in that regard. Please let me know if you did/did not receive my message. Thank you.

Got your message already. Will help check and feedback to you soon.

bunnynnubxo

Postby bunnynnubxo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:49 am

I have just received a Raise 3D Pro 2+, can I assume this has been installed?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:44 am

The Thermal Protector is only for N series printers. Pro2 has a differently designed controller board.

bunnynnubxo

Postby bunnynnubxo » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:12 pm

Thank you.

DeX

Postby DeX » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:34 pm

DeftCAD wrote:
DeX wrote:I've got a situation here.
Can't disassemble it bcoz a white glue or silicone everywhere.
And I don't wanna break a thing.
:? :(

I had the same thing (not massively impressed if I'm being honest) but have now managed to sort it. In that image, you can see the cable going into a plastic connector, right? Well it's actually in two parts: there's a male and a female part. Keep wiggling the whole assembly and BOTH parts of mine came away from the PCB, leaving just the male pins on the PCB exposed. Then it's a case of using a scalpel to VERY CAREFULLY pick/cut at the silicone sticking the two parts together. Keep wiggling and pulling and eventually they will separate. Take the female part and put it back over the pins on the PCB, then you can connect it all up per the instructions.

I've just done mine, restarted the printer and so far everything seems fine. Hope this helps.

I have finally did it! =) a half of a year later, haha.

Ronvp

Postby Ronvp » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:47 pm

@Raise3D: I got my Pro2 in July 2018, did it come with the thermal protector??

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:20 pm

Ronvp wrote:@Raise3D: I got my Pro2 in July 2018, did it come with the thermal protector??

No, because this entire topic is about an N series specific upgrade.
Vicky@Raise3D wrote:The Thermal Protector is only for N series printers. Pro2 has a differently designed controller board.

According to documentation provided by raise3D in the Pro2 series cold nozzle reading 240C topic, raise 3D released a partial schematic showing pull up resistors- however, that said the actual "does it work as intended" question remains.

What we do know is:
Again, this entire topic and the thermal protector is designed and ONLY compatible with the N series and will not even plug into an Pro2 series.

If you have questions about the Pro2 series- highly suggest you put it into at a reply to this topic viewtopic.php?f=18&p=36698

trae@greenlee.cc

Postby trae@greenlee.cc » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:59 pm

tldr: break in ribbon cable can cause intermittent problems that manifest as extrusion issues instead of an clear outright failure.

Setting safety issue aside for a moment even though it should be enough to warrant immediate action from Raise3D.
I have not installed pullup resistors, only because im being lazy and no life is at risk if things catch fire here, nor have I received the plug in mod from Raise3D (ordered months ago).
But I ran into an issue that was a direct result of this manufacture defect and thought I would share.

Preamble: I setup a .8mm nozzle and installed a larger heating cartridge at the start of the issue im describing so with these changes I ended up chasing my tail for a while thinking this was a problem self introduced.

With the new hotend installed I proceed to tune PID, after tuning PID i still saw large > +-10 degrees temperature swings so thinking it needed more tuning I ran longer PID autotune intervals. Temperature appeared to stabilize and I thought i was good to go. In hindsight i know now that this was a symptom of a poor connection to the distribution board on the tool head and i caught a moment when the connection was OK.

I setup my job which consisted of multiple identical pieces with a 12 hr run time for each.
Had problems on the initial piece with inconsistent extrusion, sometimes good sometimes way under extruded. Material is Ninjaflex so it can be tricky to get the settings just right. Ran some temp ladders and speed test and settled into setting that worked.

Ran 4 or so units then more extrusion issues, thinking it was moisture uptake as it been days now since the job started and this is central Florida in an open air shop, lots of rain etc. Dried the filament and restarted the job. still having extrusion problems. Grrrr.

While pondering what was going on I happened to notice that hotend fan was still running and it had been an hour or so since i stopped printing. Note: I run customer firmware and have the hotend fan set to start at 50c and shutoff below this. This was my fist clue and curious as to what was going on i starting poking at the tool head, is the nozzle really hot, Nope room temp. manually moved the tool head for a better look and the hotend fan shut off. bingo, light bulb went on and I recalled this thread about the pull up resistors.

I can introduce temperature swings on a cold hotend by just moving around the gantry, perfect. I love it when its reproducible.

After checking connections the only other cause that im aware of was a break in the ribbon cable.
Built a new cable assembly, no longer ribbon, and im back in business.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:03 pm

trae@greenlee.cc wrote:Built a new cable assembly, no longer ribbon, and im back in business.

I’m curious..... if you didn’t use a ribbon cable may I ask what you used? I’m sure we are going to run into this issue sooner or later so it would be nice to know the options. I know JohnSays purchased the Cicoil Hi-Flex ribbon but I’m not sure if he’s actually used it yet. Be nice to know other options too.

trae@greenlee.cc

Postby trae@greenlee.cc » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:42 pm

http://a.co/d/j7LAQuw <-housing, i couldn't find a polarized version so pay attention to direction.
http://a.co/d/hWC8Plx <- crimp on pins
http://a.co/d/eL7Pnok <-wire. Due to the lack of polarized housing I recommend unique color for pin one rest can all be the same.

Alternate parts
https://www.digikey.com/short/jwpncc
https://www.digikey.com/short/jwpnc9

Return to “General”