Problem with corners

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
simon_srp

Problem with corners

Postby simon_srp » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:42 am

Hi

I'm have an issue with printing the corners of my details. They never get sharp. I show you with a picture, maby you know why I get this problem. I need my corners to be sharp and exact since there will be more part who that has to fit togheter.

https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/full?photo_id=501506031958

zemlin

Re: Problem with corners

Postby zemlin » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:25 pm

Your photo link doesn't work.
Why not just upload an attachment?

simon_srp

Postby simon_srp » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:37 pm

Hi

Sorry for late post. You know.. Christmas and New Years Eve :)
Did not see the attachment-tab so I thought that you had to upload somewhere else and paste a link. But now I will try to attach it instead. See Pic. 1

Printing with Prima Creator PLA Pro @ 120mm/s, Extruder temp @ 255-260°C, Heatbed temp 50°C

I also have problems with the outher shell not melting together everywhere (se picture 2)
And I get some issue with the extrution.. I think it under-extruding (I think it's called that anyway) Picture 3 and 4

Edit: I Can see that the pictures got attached in wrong order. it begins with pic 4 and ends with 1 :roll:
Attachments
Pic 4.jpg
Pic 3.jpg
Pic 2.jpg
Pic 1.PNG

crimsonyoshi

Postby crimsonyoshi » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:24 pm

That temperature sounds way too high for PLA. I've never used Prima PLA, so I can't say that with certainty, but I know Raise3D premium PLA is great at 205, and I've never had an extrusion problem with it.

Now, to answer your questions - it looks like you need to add some support to the model to make these areas I've circled in red a bit sharper.
model.jpg

In terms of sharper corners, which model of printer are you using, and are you running the latest firmware? The follow up to that is when the printer prints, it's extruding a glob of plastic which will expand outward in a spherical shape, so you won't ever get super sharp corners. I've found with my Pro2 printer, when the printer reaches a point where the head switches direction, there's a touch more material extruded at the start and stop point of the direction change. So a better description would be when a layer is solid, the printer prints in N-S facing lines. It'll start let's say at the right side and move one line width to the left back and forth and back and forth until it reaches the left side. Each time it starts printing a new line, and stops printing that same line, there's a touch more material extruded than during the traversal of the print. You can see it on your attached picture infill lines too.

I believe you can set retraction for in layer printing in your ideaMaker template slice profile which might help with that, but I've never experimented with it.

simon_srp

Postby simon_srp » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:07 pm

Hi

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes I know, I missed to add support at the edges. But I used normal PLA before and that one you print @ normal speed and temp @ 205-220 then it did not fell down like in this picture.

This PLA PRO is a special verison that you can heat treat for extra strenght. So the specifications is that you should print it @ 120mm/s and at temp between 250-260°C. It actually works nice and the printing time is shorten quite a bit :)

But maby there is some triming to do. Like you can see in the pictures there is some areas that did not get any filament extruded. I wonder if I have to much friction so that the extruder some times, when the friction gets to high, cant manage to drag the filament fast enough and therefore I get theese stripes ? Or can I increase the flowrate? Since I print faster I might need it to deliver filament quicker?

Then I have the issue where the outer shells dont melt togheter.. Any idea why?

simon_srp

Postby simon_srp » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:11 pm

And about the corners, you are right. We thougt about it and wondering if there is something to do about it. Like, changing a parameter in IM that adjusts the speed and movement to make the corner sharper. Actually it does not affect the detail that much, we can always sand it to get sharper corners.

We do have all the latest updates installed and it is a Pro2 Plus.

crimsonyoshi

Postby crimsonyoshi » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:14 pm

I haven't used PRO PLA, so I can't say for 100% certain what the under extruding issue is. It's possible there's not enough of a gap between layers such that the new extrusion is meeting a bit of resistance when it's coming out of the nozzle. Easy way to check that is to play around with your layer height and first layer height settings. It could also be an extrusion temperature problem, or an extremely minor warping problem.

Just guessing here, but if the PRO PLA is drooping down when the regular PLA isn't, that tells me the chemical composition of the PRO PLA is definitely different. Obviously that means a different melting point, but you're also going to have slightly different extrusion properties because of it. All plastic types extrude a little bit differently. The fact it's falling down means it's not hardening off right out of the nozzle like regular PLA. This in turn means for the under extruded areas, the plastic is moving around a bit before it completely hardens off, and you could be getting some valleys and peaks because of it (minor warping), which might cause an extrusion problem on the next layer. Turning your nozzle temperature down a few degrees might fix that.

I don't think there's anything obvious in the template, or per group / layer settings that will make corners sharper. The only way you'll reliably get better resolution of your print is to use a smaller nozzle. If you used the 0.2mm nozzle and print down to a 0.01mm layer height, you'll get a much sharper object, but you will of course dramatically increase your print time. A 10 hour print could all of a sudden become a 400 hour print!

Return to “Software”