First few layers being compressed on Pro2+

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
mtvision

First few layers being compressed on Pro2+

Postby mtvision » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:37 pm

We have a brand new Pro2+ and have an issue with the first few layers looking ugly.
First of all we are professional users of 3d printers and have alot of experience but never saw things like that on other printers. We have leveled the build plate using the 0.2mm cap feeler. It doesn't matter where on the build plate the print is positioned, the result is the same. So there should be no leveling issue at all.
For us it looks like the first few layers get compressed and express themselves as overextruded. We didn't found a source for this yet. Going to take measurements of calibration prints soon to check for possible motion issues.
For compensation of the effect we did all our customer prints with thick rafts but this is a total waste of energy, materials, time and therefore money.
Any ideas what could cause this?
Attachments
20180913_154835_edited.jpg

CForce

Re: First few layers being compressed on Pro2+

Postby CForce » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:30 pm

What kind of material is that? I'm not sure if all Pro2s work like this, but ours heats the nozzle up before the bed. This is fine for a lot of materials, but when we print something like Polysupport, the first bit of extrudes poorly as it had baked in the nozzle a bit while the bed was heating up.

We also had an issue awhile back with the first layer being too low, and we ended up adjusting the height of the bar triggering the z-endstop until our first layer was visually acceptable. I'm not completely sure, but I believe when we tried to use the provided shim first, the nozzle was still too low.

Hope this helps!

DS2017

Postby DS2017 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:07 pm

Are you using ideamaker? What is your first layer height set to?

mtvision

Postby mtvision » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:16 pm

The issue is independent on material or slicer. I have it with ABS, PLA and PETG. We already tested Slic3r, Simplify3D and of course ideaMaker. I also experimented with Z-Offset in the settings without any luck. Further looks into the print process showed that the effect of this issue starts at a print height of 0.6mm where solid infill structures getting rough due to the overextrusion which lets the nozzle vibrate. At a height of 1.4mm in most cases the effect is gone. Probably because the internal infill gives enough space for the extra amount of material.
The effect does not return on higher layers with solid infill surfaces.
At first I thought maybe a mechanical issue on the ball screws, but both? Unlikely. No, the problem persists even if I use a Z-hop on retraction.

Return to “General”