Raising the standard cover

Ronvp

Raising the standard cover

Postby Ronvp » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:58 pm

I find the height of current cover height a little too low. It causing stress on the tubes (poor filament feed) and the tubes are rubbing against the top of the cover. I decided to draft and print a few pieces to Raise (no pun intended) the cover by about 1-11/16" (+/- 42.86 mm). So total height is now 8"

Basically, there is a single corner piece (print 4 x) and 2 connectors (Short + long), so print 2 of each. After printing you push the pieces together (optionally glue them together) and done.. (I am printing now and will post the 3MF files and the GCode files when I have confirmed it all works/fits

Below is a assembly drawing showing what it looks like and some of the details

Frame.jpg

pARTS.jpg

Korni

Re: Raising the standard cover

Postby Korni » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:21 pm

Yes, please STL File
Pro2+ Image

Ronvp

Postby Ronvp » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:10 pm

Let me first finish the print to make sure it all fits perfectly

Korni

Postby Korni » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:48 pm

OK
Pro2+ Image

michaelhauser

Postby michaelhauser » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:10 pm

Cool! A couple of years ago I started designing and printed something like this. Actually, I only got as far as designing and printing one corner as a test. The goals were to both raise the height of the cover and also to have a place to attach hinges and gas springs, so that the cover could easily be lifted and stay up (e.g., when printing PLA). I'll find my design and upload it as a comparison. I don't think got past the conceptualization phase with the hinges and springs but I'll have to check.

KS_Husker

Postby KS_Husker » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:13 pm

This is a great idea. I was also wishing they had made the top cover a little taller to give the tubes a little more room and make feeding of the filament easier. Looks like a good design.

Ronvp

Postby Ronvp » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:31 am

I am printing as I type this. Should be done tomorrow morning (14hrs from now) I post some pics when done.. I like the idea of adding some hinges and a gas spring.. I will put something together aswell.

Btw.. I too printed a test corner. Perfect fit..

simon_srp

Postby simon_srp » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:30 pm

How did it go?

Any pics to share? I think another problem is that the tubes are pushing against the sides of the top cover. I think this casused our left guiding tube to bend just above the extruder inlet which stoped the filament to feed causing the filament to be worn off just at the teeth/cogs.

The result was that the printer continues to print, but without any filament. The strange thing is that is happens at exact same print-height. But we found that the tube were bendt. The thing is, in this specific case, is that my detail that I were printing is printed diagonaly across the pringbed and almost maximum what can be fitted into the build area and thats why the tubes getting pushed some extra on the side of the top cover.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:47 pm

This was the coolest (replacement) design I saw but the plans were never posted. :(
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6984

simon_srp

Postby simon_srp » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:46 am

I saw that one too. But it's a bit to ambitious for me at this point :)

Ronvp

Postby Ronvp » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:46 pm

Alex M. wrote:This was the coolest (replacement) design I saw but the plans were never posted. :(
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6984

That is cool... I might do that if I have some time

Ronvp

Postby Ronvp » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:56 pm

Ok, done printing. had to make an adjustment to the connectors. they were a little too tight.. Here is a PIC, I be posting 3MF and STL files shortly. The corners were printed with 0.25mm resolution to get it done quicker, the connectors at 0.15mm . I will reprint the corners at 0.15 as well.

Note that for the pic, the left corner is also a perfect fit, but the light breaks different on the plastic

Untitled.jpg
Last edited by Ronvp on Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ronvp

Postby Ronvp » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Here are the 3D files and also a Idea file and the Gcode
Depending on your resolution, be prepared for a 30 to 50 hours print
Raise3D Pro2 Cover STL files.zip
(192.49 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Raise3D Pro2 Cover 3MF files.zip
(161.38 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Raise3D Pro2 Cover IDEA file.zip
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 22 times
Attachments
Raise3D Pro2 Cover spacer GCode.zip
(4.58 MiB) Downloaded 14 times
Last edited by Ronvp on Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ronvp

Postby Ronvp » Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:20 pm

simon_srp wrote:The result was that the printer continues to print, but without any filament. The strange thing is that is happens at exact same print-height. But we found that the tube were bendt. The thing is, in this specific case, is that my detail that I were printing is printed diagonaly across the pringbed and almost maximum what can be fitted into the build area and thats why the tubes getting pushed some extra on the side of the top cover.

That is why I made the cover extender..also note that with the cover on, the extruder motors get very warm, also causing an issue with the fillament grinding. They are working on a fix.. I pln to drill some holes in the top of the cover, so the hot air can vent out.

One more thing. Make sure you push the tube all the way through the feeding nipple (above the filament spool), let it stick slightly out below the rim. If not, the filament will scrape against the nipple. BTW, this also makes loading of the filament a lot easier..

Korni

Postby Korni » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:19 pm

Fine, THX but what you mean ...
had to make an adjustment to the connectors
?
Pro2+ Image

Korni

Postby Korni » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:31 pm

Is this correct ????

Print:
4x Raise3D Pro2 Cover spacer corners.STL
2x Raise3D Pro2 Cover spacer connector 2.STL
2x Raise3D Pro2 Cover spacer connector 1.STL
THX
Pro2+ Image

simon_srp

Postby simon_srp » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:29 am

Ronvp wrote:
simon_srp wrote:The result was that the printer continues to print, but without any filament. The strange thing is that is happens at exact same print-height. But we found that the tube were bendt. The thing is, in this specific case, is that my detail that I were printing is printed diagonaly across the pringbed and almost maximum what can be fitted into the build area and thats why the tubes getting pushed some extra on the side of the top cover.

That is why I made the cover extender..also note that with the cover on, the extruder motors get very warm, also causing an issue with the fillament grinding. They are working on a fix.. I pln to drill some holes in the top of the cover, so the hot air can vent out.

One more thing. Make sure you push the tube all the way through the feeding nipple (above the filament spool), let it stick slightly out below the rim. If not, the filament will scrape against the nipple. BTW, this also makes loading of the filament a lot easier..

Thanks for the clarification. We thought that the cover were a part of the problem.
But we're going to print you top cover extrender to give the tubes more space to move around. I also read about the issue with extruder motors but did not think they were a part of this but probably they are. Also, I thought it would be good to always keep the the top cover on to keep the warmth inside :) But maby not in all cases.

thank you!

EL Cuajinais

Postby EL Cuajinais » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:17 pm

Thanks for posting this, this is good timing for me as I am in the process of adapting the Zimpure air filter to my N2. Can you also please share .stp files? I don’t know if the dimensions are the same on the N2 as the Pro2 and I will have to modify the back riser anyway to have a hole for the suction hose to pass through.

Thanks again.

michaelhauser

Postby michaelhauser » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:40 am

My design is a little different in that it straddles the case edge on both sides, so it doesn't depend on tension of the whole spacer frame to hold it up. That has the nice side effect that it could be used to both add height and ventilation by only printing the corner pieces.
Also, the lip for the cover is on the inside rather than the outside. I did it that way because I was planning to add hinges to the rear piece and I didn't want the lip interfering when the cover was hinged back. Anyway, as mentioned above, I only got as far as a test corner piece. The test piece is short but the actual design could be as tall as desired. The test fits my N2 perfectly.

N2 cover spacer corner.jpg

n2 cover spacer corner.stl
(370.79 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

jetdillo

Postby jetdillo » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:28 pm

EL Cuajinais wrote:Thanks for posting this, this is good timing for me as I am in the process of adapting the Zimpure air filter to my N2. Can you also please share .stp files? I don’t know if the dimensions are the same on the N2 as the Pro2 and I will have to modify the back riser anyway to have a hole for the suction hose to pass through.

Thanks again.

Is this shipping yet ?
What sort of adaptations are you having to do ?
Thanks!

Return to “Pro2 Series”