Part Shifting Again Again and Again

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Part Shifting Again Again and Again

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:33 am

Based on your description, I would recommend to do one or more times of the alignments.
Even when we need to do the alignment for the axis in our lab, we will carry it out several times based on the printing result. Normally the shifting will be reduced some then reduced until none.

Snalios

Postby Snalios » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:09 pm

We're having the exact same issue with shifts. Different directions. Different locations. All my connection points are tight. I've done the gantry alignment once so far. I can check the driver voltages, but at this point we can't trust this printer to complete anything without a shift.

Snalios

Postby Snalios » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:56 pm

I also tried moving the print head with the motors enabled. No movement what so ever. Also, my motor couplers are tight and show no signs of fatigue.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:13 pm

Snalios wrote:We're having the exact same issue with shifts. Different directions. Different locations. All my connection points are tight. I've done the gantry alignment once so far. I can check the driver voltages, but at this point we can't trust this printer to complete anything without a shift.

When does it shift? Right in the beginning or a ways in to the print? If it's the later, did you check the motor temp after printing for a while?
Also, I am assuming your rods are clean and greased?

Snalios

Postby Snalios » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:36 pm

Rods are cleaned and greased. It generally happens later in the print. So I will definitely check motor temp.

Vice Chief

Postby Vice Chief » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:35 pm

One possibility would be that the filament is "holding" the gantry at one point in the print. If the motor torque is marginal or the roll is catching briefly, it could cause lost steps and a layer shift.

This could be in conjunction with your motors overheating (and so losing torque).

Snalios

Postby Snalios » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:52 pm

Was told to decreased X/Y rapid movement speed to increase torque from extra tension from filament sensor. Also to install full length guide tube. I had 2 small pieces attached to either end before. I have my electronics box open to allow for better air flow. And the print I'm running now was sliced with Ideamaker and not S3D. Was told S3D has different accelerations values fro the motors which could be at fault.

wo4sunhao

Postby wo4sunhao » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:19 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Based on your description, I would recommend to do one or more times of the alignments.
Even when we need to do the alignment for the axis in our lab, we will carry it out several times based on the printing result. Normally the shifting will be reduced some then reduced until none.

so how to do the alignment? and do you mean gantry alignment?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:58 am

Yes, the gantry alignment. Because the support team told me that you informed them that the alignment helped reduced some shifting then before.

Snalios

Postby Snalios » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:22 pm

I was told a similar thing from tech support. Doing the gantry alignment once may not align it fully. As you tighten everything back up there is a chance you can introduce more misalignment. So doing it more than once helps.

I would imagine there is a sequence that you can use to tighten up the bolts to get it aligned without having to do it more than once. I try to do a star pattern when tightening the gantry block back up. And I make sure to get everything somewhat tight, and then go back and do a final quarter turn or so to engage the lock washer.

wo4sunhao

Postby wo4sunhao » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:25 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Yes, the gantry alignment. Because the support team told me that you informed them that the alignment helped reduced some shifting then before.

yeah it helped once before. Do you guys have some better way to do and check the gantry alignment?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:15 am

We just move extruder manually and see whether it is smooth or not.

wo4sunhao

Postby wo4sunhao » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:46 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:We just move extruder manually and see whether it is smooth or not.

so how do you fix the gantry alignment?

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:36 pm

We just do alignment for several times. If it help improve the result each time, we will do one more until it reaches to limit.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:12 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:We just do alignment for several times. If it help improve the result each time, we will do one more until it reaches to limit.

Is there an instruction document for this? I believe the question is "How it is done." and not "How many times it is done."

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:15 am

Our technicians has sent the alignment instruction to this customer before in his support ticket. He has tried once, and feedback that helps improve the result.

Alex M.

Postby Alex M. » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:10 am

It would be nice if the alignment instructions were available to all customers without needing a support ticket, since sooner or later we will all need them. It would be nice to see them in the FAQ, Getting Started or Downloads section of the Raise3D website.
I have looked but unfortunately can't find them. :(

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:53 pm

We would like to ask our technicians to help check the issues first then share the correct instruction based on the current situation in case customer do anything improperly without correct instruction.

Return to “General”