Can a Glass Bed be added to the Pro Series

RiserDog

Can a Glass Bed be added to the Pro Series

Postby RiserDog » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:01 pm

Can a glass bedplate be added to the Pro Series? Maybe use one off of a N2. I find the Buildtak leaves a white residue when printing some colors of pla. :roll:

Rogman

Re: Can a Glass Bed be added to the Pro Series

Postby Rogman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:01 pm

i bought a second build plate (or just remove BuildTak from your original) and use silicon thermal pads and placed glass on it. works well! i will try and post a picture tomorrow. https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-400mm-Silicone-Thermal-Heatsink/dp/B007PPEW52

RiserDog

Postby RiserDog » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Thanks. Did you adhere the glass to the build plate somehow or do the thermal pads adhere the glass? What is the reason for the thermal pads?

Rogman

Postby Rogman » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:43 pm

the pads do two things. they transfer the heat from the metal bed to the glass and silicone has a high coefficient of friction (with glass its over 1) so it holds the glass in place without the need for clamps. i will still try and get a picture on here for you. i just wont be back in the shop until Monday. also do not forget that the glass will sit a bit higher than the Buildtak did so you will need to raise the z axis "tab" way higher than normal to prevent the nozzle from crashing into the glass when you home Z axis. then readjust the nozzle distance to your liking. i set all mine at .006 inch or .15 mm.

Rogman

Postby Rogman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:35 pm

here is the picture. i washed off the elmers purple glue stick. Image

OsoVerde

Postby OsoVerde » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:24 am

the N2 glass build plate actually fits quite nicely if you use some silicone o-rings around the thumb screws (front and back) so that you can tighten the plate down but not crack it when everything cools.

I used McMaster # 1182N006 and 1182N108 silicone o-rings (the smaller one is only there to keep the larger/thicker o-ring centered) but I imagine that just about anything that can take the temperature and compress a bit would work.

Return to “Pro2 Series”