Filament Run-out Sensor Install Problem

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
kencfii

Re: Filament Run-out Sensor Install Problem

Postby kencfii » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:12 pm

Hello again,
So I did get my sensor working properly as I mentioned in previous posts.

I did print the new back cover and it does align better but does not seem to stick tio the case very well - not really enough contact between case and the new plastic design - so the sticky tape can hold firm - but it is still better.

Have to say that "johnsays" is correct - this does not really fix the problem. The filament still grinds and makes a horrible noise as the filament is feeding especially if the heads move across the entire build platform. There is just too much drag on the filament because the holes are not beveled (or whatever) it is just a sharp contact point. This printed prints so smooth and quiet and the sensor ruins all that and causes a lot of drag. I need the sensor because big prints need lots of filament but man this is not good...
Please tell us if it is possible to fix this.....

Such a quality printer then this comes along....

any help???

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:30 pm

As I wrote before. This is how to fix it.

JohnSays wrote:I want to put paid to having to print a new filament cover. It doesn't fix the source of the problem. The source of the problem is simply that the holes that the filament enters are not chamfered. That's it. The edges are so sharp there that the filament hangs and scrapes. While printing a new cover aligns the filament better, it doesn't chamfer the holes. With chamfered holes you do not need a new filament cover.

Details here: http://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=8459&view=unread#p30911
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board, Firmware 1.1.8ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette+

kencfii

Postby kencfii » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:14 pm

Thanks John I saw that and hope to do what you say - in fact I just ordered that bit :-)

Just wanted to get Raise to be aware and see what they say - You seemed like a lone wolf here and I just agree so much wanted to get some more push behind a manufacturer fix...

Thanks and Print on!

JohnSays

Postby JohnSays » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:19 pm

Cool! I appreciate that. I don't understand the push to print a non-fix fix.
- John
2 Raise3D N2 Duals, V2 nozzles, Bondtech BMGs, adjustable table, Panucatt SD2224 drivers, run-out sensor, thermal overload protection resistors on motion controller board, Firmware 1.1.8ABH - with Lin_Advance, Palette+

pearson222

Postby pearson222 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:16 pm

You know its a genuine Raise3D product when you have to disassemble, redesign, and fabricate your own parts in order to make it functional.

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:43 am

Then I have the genuine product! I also put in the work to adjust the whole thing. I didn't have a drill bit with the right size so I only used a slightly bigger one for the top part, I didn't have the nerve to drill the delicate part with that where the sensors are placed (I disassembled it first of course). I used a smaller bit to try to get as much room as possible. And I chamfered everything.

I also printed a new housing, I changed the Raise3D design a bit. The bottom parts are removed as I think this should go in the filament bay and not on the print head. The file is here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3099649

mad3dprintco

Postby mad3dprintco » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:58 pm

3DWP wrote:I also printed a new housing, I changed the Raise3D design a bit. The bottom parts are removed as I think this should go in the filament bay and not on the print head. The file is here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3099649

So, is the updated housing design supposed to go on the print head?

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks this could have been designed better.
Mark Stephens
Mad3D Print Company
www.mad3dprintco.com
mad3dprintco@gmail.com

DrewPetitclerc

Postby DrewPetitclerc » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:58 am

I installed the sensor, with the mods to make the path smoother and straighter, then I turned it on and of course it intermittently says there is no filament present even when there is, sensor not seeing the plastic or just too sloppy a path around the sensor range, but I carry on and get it to see the plastic always, but then on a nice long 18 hour print the machine throws a fit/error six (6) times:
"Board error: Error:No Line Number with checksum...."
"Please check hardware and restart"

And all it wants to do is restart the machine and then it tries to pick up where it left off, with bad results.
It continues to do this on every print there after causing me a loss of time and money.
The solution: I unplugged it from the main board and disabled it in the machine settings, so yeah a complete waste of money and time.
But at least I now have a block of scrap plastic and electronics mounted to me printer to pass my filament through reminding me every day of the decline of a company I had high hopes for but now see nothing failures.
Senior Principal Designer
CAD expert user
3D Printing Teacher
Designer
Student
Artist
Comic Book collector
All around nice guy!
http://flash-graphics.deviantart.com/
http://www.thingiver...etitclerc/about
https://www.tiertime.com/community/

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:42 am

I did not have any software errors yet but last week my N2 Plus was almost wrecked twice by using the sensor. Make sure to attach the sensor very well to the printer. I had it stuck to the side above the filament with the double sided tape Raise put on the sensor (over the Raise3D logo and indicator lights the sensor apparently has).

I have a teflon filament tube and connector and somehow the tube was pushed into the filament bay when the spool was empty - when the print head was moving to the home position the teflon connector prevented the movement by locking and the gantry and motors were making horrible noises. The sensor came loose and was hanging a bit lower in the filament bay. Luckily I was close to the printer.

I have now glued the housing with epoxy to the printer so backwards movement should be stopped. This sensor has nice potential on paper but has cost me a lot of headache and effort to fix and change so far..

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:58 am

This is how I currently have the sensor installed, it's epoxied to the printer and has this 3D printed part: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3099649

Looks nice with the logo, let's hope it will now function as it should. I did have quite some spools I printed empty because of the sensor so that is good.

Raise3Dfilamentsensor.jpg

3DWP

Postby 3DWP » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:58 pm

The sensor has been working fine for me since my last post, it is still installed that way.
But it does not pauze the printer when filament is stuck (clogged nozzle or diameter issues), I thought the optical sensor would notice that too. So only when the filament is out but that's fine, I don't have a lot of problems when using good filament anyway.

Return to “Hardware”