Proto Pasta Stainless PLA

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
NBorglum
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:40 pm

Proto Pasta Stainless PLA

Postby NBorglum » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:04 am

We have recently purchased a Pro2 at the company I work for. I've had success printing with Raise PLA and Matterhackers PETG. Now we are trying to printing visual aids for our sales team out of ProtoPasta Stainless PLA and I've run into issues with the model I'm printing. I have successfully printed some test cubes, but more often then not, it will start clicking on the second layer. I've also run into bed adhesion issues... I'm looking for some guidance or possibly someone can provide their slicer profile that has worked for them...

Here is what I've tried so far:
Temp: 190-220C (Nozzle) 60-65C (Bed)
Nozzle: 0.4-0.6mm Hardened nozzle (currently 0.6mm)
Extrusion width: 0.6-0.7mm
Speed: 40mm/s (infill) 25-30mm/s (Outlines)
Flowrate: 80-95%

I've also played with first layer flow rate, z-offset, top/bottom flow rates, brim/raft/skirt.

If anyone has suggestions on where to restart or what to try it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Nick

NBorglum
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:40 pm

Re: Proto Pasta Stainless PLA

Postby NBorglum » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:28 pm

Are there any recommendations? I'm still fighting this issue.
I can get a part to print, but I have to print cool enough that it ends up underextruding.
I've also tried a higher CFM cooling fan to allow a higher print temperature, but that has not helped either.

Thank you,
Nick

User avatar
Vicky@Raise3D
Posts: 4560
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:54 am

Re: Proto Pasta Stainless PLA

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:57 am

Not 100% sure, but I'm thinking whether the nozzle is too close to the bed.
Or contact our technicians on help.raise3d.com and share some pictures of your failed prints. Pictures can help a lot to figure out the issues.

DS2017
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:00 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Proto Pasta Stainless PLA

Postby DS2017 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:43 pm

Proto Pasta Stainless is the most dense PLA. It's nearly double the density of regular PLA! You're essentially pushing double the amount of usual PLA compared to other brands/types. It's bound to be difficult.

I lowered my flowrate all the way down to 60%. I only printed at 0.2 layer height. Also 220 temp. It's very easy for it to backlog because of how dense it is (therefore leading to clicking; the extruder not being able to push the filament).

NBorglum
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:40 pm

Re: Proto Pasta Stainless PLA

Postby NBorglum » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:20 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Not 100% sure, but I'm thinking whether the nozzle is too close to the bed.
Or contact our technicians on help.raise3d.com and share some pictures of your failed prints. Pictures can help a lot to figure out the issues.


Vicky,

IMG_2728.jpg


Here is a photo of one of the latest failures (90% flowrate). As mentioned, it will usually start clicking on the second layer of the actual part being printed. It completes the raft without any issues.
I also measured the actual height of the raft vs the raft height in the slicer. The slicer creates a 1.82mm tall raft while the actual raft is 2.00mm. I think some of the issue may be resulting from this discrepancy causing the nozzle to be too close on the second layer?
How could I fix that issue?

Thank you,
Nick

NBorglum
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:40 pm

Re: Proto Pasta Stainless PLA

Postby NBorglum » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:34 pm

DS2017 wrote:Proto Pasta Stainless is the most dense PLA. It's nearly double the density of regular PLA! You're essentially pushing double the amount of usual PLA compared to other brands/types. It's bound to be difficult.

I lowered my flowrate all the way down to 60%. I only printed at 0.2 layer height. Also 220 temp. It's very easy for it to backlog because of how dense it is (therefore leading to clicking; the extruder not being able to push the filament).


DS,

Thanks for the recommendations. I will give these settings a shot.
Questions:
- Nozzle diameter?
- Speeds?
- Extrusion width?
- Filament diameter setting?

Thanks,
Nick

NBorglum
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:40 pm

Re: Proto Pasta Stainless PLA

Postby NBorglum » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:48 pm

I was able to get my part to print successfully by varying the flowrate by layer (Still need to find a better solution).

Below you can see a photo of the finished part. As you can see there are issues where the outer perimeter starts and stops. I've experimented with coasting/restart amount settings, but they don't seem to have much effect. How can this be resolved?

IMG_2729.jpg


Thanks,
Nick

User avatar
Vicky@Raise3D
Posts: 4560
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:54 am

Re: Proto Pasta Stainless PLA

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:30 am

Have you tried with a little bit higher nozzle temperature for this? Have ever tried with 0.8mm nozzle?
If lower flowrate can help getting rid of clicking, it may because of over pressure of extrusion.

NBorglum
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:40 pm

Re: Proto Pasta Stainless PLA

Postby NBorglum » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:22 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Have you tried with a little bit higher nozzle temperature for this? Have ever tried with 0.8mm nozzle?
If lower flowrate can help getting rid of clicking, it may because of over pressure of extrusion.


I have bumped the temperature up to 220C which seems to be working well.
I've tried a .6mm nozzle, but couldn't get my settings dialed in very well. I haven't tried a .8mm nozzle before. I will revisit the larger nozzle diameter now that I have learned a little more about what works and what doesn't. Right now I'm printing with a .4mm nozzle and can get a print completed it just has the underextrusion issue where the outer perimeter starts as seen above.

User avatar
Vicky@Raise3D
Posts: 4560
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:54 am

Re: Proto Pasta Stainless PLA

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:07 am

Printing this filament with 0.4mm nozzle may leave to much pressure to extrusion, which may cause clogging.

NBorglum
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:40 pm

Re: Proto Pasta Stainless PLA

Postby NBorglum » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:31 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Printing this filament with 0.4mm nozzle may leave to much pressure to extrusion, which may cause clogging.


I've switched back to the .6mm nozzle. I'm not getting the clogging issues on the second layer anymore.
I'm just having an underextrusion issue where the outer perimeter starts as seen in the photo.



Thanks,
Nick
Attachments
IMG_2729.jpg
IMG_2729.jpg (17.7 KiB) Viewed 493 times

DS2017
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:00 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: Proto Pasta Stainless PLA

Postby DS2017 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:34 pm

NBorglum wrote:DS,

Thanks for the recommendations. I will give these settings a shot.
Questions:
- Nozzle diameter?
- Speeds?
- Extrusion width?
- Filament diameter setting?

Thanks,
Nick


I used 0.6 nozzle with matching extrusion width. Same filament diameter. I usually print slow with it . I print slow because if I print fast it could build back pressure (but the opposite can be true as well depending on a combination of factors.....you may want to print fast to get it out of the extrusion chamber as long as the filament is hot enough and flowing properly!) But yes because of the lower flowrate it's susceptible to under extrusion on the later layers. You'll have to keep tweaking around with layer settings...unfortunately that is simply the nature of proto pasta stainless steel. Lots of hassle like flexible PLA.

Try higher temps like 230. Also to fix your layer start point under extrusion issue, lower your retraction numbers. If you are retracting too much it'll have a hard time pushing out of the nozzle since it's so dense.

edit: fixed a few words

User avatar
Vicky@Raise3D
Posts: 4560
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:54 am

Re: Proto Pasta Stainless PLA

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:26 am

If you have tried any tuning on retraction amount or extra restart amount?

NBorglum
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:40 pm

Re: Proto Pasta Stainless PLA

Postby NBorglum » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:07 pm

DS2017 wrote:
NBorglum wrote:DS,

Thanks for the recommendations. I will give these settings a shot.
Questions:
- Nozzle diameter?
- Speeds?
- Extrusion width?
- Filament diameter setting?

Thanks,
Nick


I used 0.6 nozzle with matching extrusion width. Same filament diameter. I usually print slow with it . I print slow because if I print fast it could build back pressure (but the opposite can be true as well depending on a combination of factors.....you may want to print fast to get it out of the extrusion chamber as long as the filament is hot enough and flowing properly!) But yes because of the lower flowrate it's susceptible to under extrusion on the later layers. You'll have to keep tweaking around with layer settings...unfortunately that is simply the nature of proto pasta stainless steel. Lots of hassle like flexible PLA.

Try higher temps like 230. Also to fix your layer start point under extrusion issue, lower your retraction numbers. If you are retracting too much it'll have a hard time pushing out of the nozzle since it's so dense.

edit: fixed a few words


Thanks, DS and Vicky.

Currently printing at 225C with a 0.6mm nozzle, 75% flow at 40mm/s outside, 50 inside and 55 infill. I'm ramping up to 80% flow on the second layer of the part, then to 88% from the 5th layer on up. The variable flow seems to be working well for me to get past those first few solid layers. I've turned off retraction on layer change and only retracting 0.5mm otherwise. Played with extra restart and coasting from 0mm to .3mm on each. Current coasting 0.15mm, current extra restart 0.3mm. I've previewed the print file and there isn't any retraction where it starts the outside perimeter so I don't think extra restart will help. Am I correct?

Thanks again,
Nick


Return to “Printing Settings”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests