PLA – Raft Sticking to Print

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
BaseZero

PLA – Raft Sticking to Print

Postby BaseZero » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:09 am

Hi everyone!

Printing PLA with a raft. Up until lately, it's been doing fine. Just recently the parts have been sticking to the raft and are very difficult to separate from the it. In some cases the raft won't come off at all or tears off in pieces. Not sure where to start. Is it hot end height adjustments, bed leveling or settings in Idea Maker?

Thanks for assistance in advance!
James

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: PLA – Raft Sticking to Print

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:08 am

Hi James,

There are many factors will affect this.
We can start from the distance between nozzle tip and build plate.

You can rotate the front Z screw to adjust the height of it which defines the home position of nozzle and build plate. Raising it a little higher will increase the distance.

20170228145853.png

tja

Postby tja » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:57 pm

Printing PLA with a raft. Up until lately, it's been doing fine. Just recently the parts have been sticking to the raft and are very difficult to separate from the it. In some cases the raft won't come off at all or tears off in pieces. Not sure where to start. Is it hot end height adjustments, bed leveling or settings in Idea Maker?

The immediate question is 'why are you using a raft?' I almost never use a raft - it takes longer to print, wastes filament and invariably mars the surface of whatever you're printing. Can you print directly to the buildtak, or the glass side directly?

BaseZero

Postby BaseZero » Tue May 15, 2018 6:30 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Hi James,

There are many factors will affect this.
We can start from the distance between nozzle tip and build plate.

You can rotate the front Z screw to adjust the height of it which defines the home position of nozzle and build plate. Raising it a little higher will increase the distance.

20170228145853.png

Vicki,

While I do appreciate the suggestion, I need context. What does changing the screw height do in relation to the issue I'm experiencing? What is the right amount of adjustment, etc? Is there something that changed with the last version of IdeaMaker? I didn't experience these issues before updating it.

Thanks,
James

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed May 16, 2018 9:04 am

You can do calibration with the 0.2mm feeler gauge inside the accessory box to check the gap between nozzle tip and build surface. As long as you can feel the resistance when passing the feeler gauge through.

detroitus

Postby detroitus » Wed May 16, 2018 12:26 pm

As a first check, have you looked at the "Raft Gap from Model" setting under the Platform Additions tab in your slice settings? For PLA around 0.2 is usually a pretty good value for that to ensure that the raft doesn't get too friendly with your model.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Wed May 16, 2018 5:46 pm

And the solution is: don't use a raft.

Noren

Postby Noren » Wed May 16, 2018 8:49 pm

If your nozzle is to close to the bed. Then your print will also be to close to the raft. The first layer of the raft is quite thick to go down easy and you might not notice that you are set to low.

Noren

Postby Noren » Wed May 16, 2018 8:50 pm

I love printing with a raft. Never a problem with bed adhesion. Easy to remove from bed without damaging the actual print.

Casale8

Postby Casale8 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:15 pm

Noren wrote:I love printing with a raft. Never a problem with bed adhesion. Easy to remove from bed without damaging the actual print.

I agree. However I know this is not ideal for time, or the "standard" of 3D printing. I get a fine looking layer. Only occasionally do I have issues with RAFT not coming off of the material and that is a specific ABS that is alright at best.
-SCC
“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering. "Supernatural" is a null word.” -R.A.Heinlein

Return to “Hardware”