Adjusting Z height while printing

Raise3D is always hearing. If you have a feature requested related to our product, or if you have new ideas that need attention from the community, please post here.
mark_3d

Adjusting Z height while printing

Postby mark_3d » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:23 pm

The ability to adjust the Z height from the lcd screen while printing.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Adjusting Z height while printing

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:26 am

Z height? You mean layer height or distance between nozzle and build plate?

mark_3d

Postby mark_3d » Mon May 07, 2018 8:35 am

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Z height? You mean layer height or distance between nozzle and build plate?

Yes I mean adjusting Tha gap between the nozzle and the build plate. So if you start a print and see that you need to adjust The gap you will be able to do it live without stopping the print and adjusting manually the bed height.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon May 07, 2018 10:05 am

You mean input a Z offset during printing?

MDVolle

Postby MDVolle » Tue May 08, 2018 12:34 am

Vicky, I had questions about adding this too - I think another manufacturer did something where you can "thumbwheel" adjust the gap while printing the first layer -

I would find that very handy for those times I see its either too close and smashing out filament or too high and laying down a noodle while just starting a print - like during the skirt or brim printing -

I almost always print with a brim and use that for the same purpose - just to verify my gap is correct - and restart the print if it isn't - which doesn't take a long time, but if I could nudge the table up or down a few 0.01mm steps it would fix it.

I haven't asked for the adjustment because (unfortunately) it doesn't solve the problem - it only corrects for that print and your next print will start again at the incorrect gap...

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue May 08, 2018 8:55 am

Actually, yes. The best way to solve the problem originally is to adjust the distance between nozzle and build surface at origin height from hardware. We understand that adjusting the offset in software is easier and more time-saving to carry out. But basically it is due to hardware.

zemlin

Postby zemlin » Tue May 08, 2018 2:08 pm

I have changed my bed to a 4-point spring-loaded setup with thumb-screws under the Z-table. If I need to make a small adjustment I can dial it up or down a touch without issue. I used this wave spring to minimize the z height change. I have it nearly fully compressed. https://www.mcmaster.com/#1561t15/=1cr3e0f

mct82

Postby mct82 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:34 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Actually, yes. The best way to solve the problem originally is to adjust the distance between nozzle and build surface at origin height from hardware. We understand that adjusting the offset in software is easier and more time-saving to carry out. But basically it is due to hardware.

I need this feature as well. We use multiple build plates (all R3D with R3D Buildtak), but they do not repeat. They require constant Z offset adjustment and restarts. Implementing the feature is possible and is common other Marlin-based printers, reference "fine adjust z" on prusa and "z probe offset" on lulzbot.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:07 pm

mct82 wrote:
Vicky@Raise3D wrote:Actually, yes. The best way to solve the problem originally is to adjust the distance between nozzle and build surface at origin height from hardware. We understand that adjusting the offset in software is easier and more time-saving to carry out. But basically it is due to hardware.

I need this feature as well. We use multiple build plates (all R3D with R3D Buildtak), but they do not repeat. They require constant Z offset adjustment and restarts. Implementing the feature is possible and is common other Marlin-based printers, reference "fine adjust z" on prusa and "z probe offset" on lulzbot.

What brothers you more is the levelness changes or the overall Z-offset changes?

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:57 am

Z-offset adjustment on the fly would be excellent and save a lot of time and restarts.

mct82

Postby mct82 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:29 pm

Vicky@Raise3D wrote:What brothers you more is the levelness changes or the overall Z-offset changes?

The z-offest changes are most bothersome. We shim the build plates to keep their surfaces at similar height. However we have no option to fix a print that starts and isn't offset precisely. We do not print on rafts, so the first layer is critical. We typically need to restart 2 or 3 times to get the proper offset. The bed probe is not repeatable as delivered, it can vibrate loose and isn't rigid, so the z-offset bounces around a lot.

Even simple terminal access would allow this to be executed with babystepping g-code, i.e.:

Code: Select all

M290 Z+.5

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:05 am

If your Z offset screw doesn't work properly as before, please contact our support to ask for a new offset adjusting set for Z direction.
For the gcode you mentioned, you may can try the global offset settings in ideaMaker for Z direction.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:39 pm

There is no hardware restricting this: all that needs to be done is for the interface to insert a gcode command to raise or drop the bed by a fraction of a mm, perhaps .02mm or so.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:37 pm

We will consider to check the possibility for command input feature on touchscreen or ideaMaker remote control, but only when printer at idle status.

Return to “Feature requests, ideas, wishes”