having issues with curved thin angled walls

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
Jab136
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:00 pm

having issues with curved thin angled walls

Postby Jab136 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:19 am

so for some reason I keep getting the following issue on my prints
IMG_20180419_125548490.jpg
. I have also attached the STL, I am printing at a .2 mm layer height with the stock .4 mm nozzle in ABS. I am using S3D for slicing and have attached the factory files as well. What I find odd is that it is only occurring on one of the 4 segments.
Attachments
45 degrees_4 columns.zip
(181.77 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
45 degrees_4 columns_rotated.zip
(186.34 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
45 degrees_4 columns-bottom.STL
(283.48 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

zemlin
Posts: 353
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: having issues with curved thin angled walls

Postby zemlin » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:41 pm

It's not clear to me what issue you are pointing out, and your fogged, blurry image is difficult to analyze. Wipe the schmutz off your phone's lens before taking a photo - that should help.

I can't tell if I'm looking at the top or bottom of the part. If you have a defect happening in just one area, I might suspect bed level issues and that the ABS is lifting in one area causing the print irregularities.

Jab136
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Re: having issues with curved thin angled walls

Postby Jab136 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:34 pm

it is the top of the part, it has nothing to do with the bed, as I have a raft, the bottom of the two layers of the 45 degree half angle cones aren't sticking to the previous layers, but only in one of 4 segments.

Jab136
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Re: having issues with curved thin angled walls

Postby Jab136 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:37 pm

here is the .stl of the part, I print 3 of them at a time.
Attachments
45 degrees_4 columns.zip
(263.5 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

User avatar
Mecha_Monster
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 2:07 am
Location: Mexico
Contact:

Re: having issues with curved thin angled walls

Postby Mecha_Monster » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:42 pm

What are your temperature settings and print speed?

I also print with white ABS, and got similar results when printing too cold. For ABS, it works better when the new layer of filament is lay on top of one still hot/warm, it fuses/flow better

DS2017
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:00 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: having issues with curved thin angled walls

Postby DS2017 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:41 pm

Check your travel moves for those layers. It may be a simple retraction issue?

Jab136
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Re: having issues with curved thin angled walls

Postby Jab136 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:42 pm

Mecha_Monster wrote:What are your temperature settings and print speed?

I also print with white ABS, and got similar results when printing too cold. For ABS, it works better when the new layer of filament is lay on top of one still hot/warm, it fuses/flow better

250 degrees and either 60 mm/s or 48 mm/s (I don't know if S3D counts it as outline or not, and outline has a 80% underspeed)

Jab136
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Re: having issues with curved thin angled walls

Postby Jab136 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:45 pm

DS2017 wrote:Check your travel moves for those layers. It may be a simple retraction issue?

it isn't a retraction stringing issue, the plastic that should be forming the wall isn't adhering properly to the previous layers.

zemlin
Posts: 353
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: having issues with curved thin angled walls

Postby zemlin » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Who's ABS are you running, and what are your speeds and temps?

Jab136
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Re: having issues with curved thin angled walls

Postby Jab136 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:11 pm

zemlin wrote:Who's ABS are you running, and what are your speeds and temps?

I don't know the manufacturer off the top of my head, I can check tomorrow, but I am running it at 250 degrees and either 48 or 60mm/s depending on whether S3D considers that an outline (it probably does so it probably applies the 80% underspeed which would mean 48 mm/s)

User avatar
Noren
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:54 am
Location: Borås, Sweden
Contact:

Re: having issues with curved thin angled walls

Postby Noren » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:52 am

To fast and to cold and to little contact with the previous layer due ro the steep angle. And I hade also made that wall thicker.

Jab136
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Re: having issues with curved thin angled walls

Postby Jab136 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:18 am

Noren wrote:To fast and to cold and to little contact with the previous layer due ro the steep angle. And I hade also made that wall thicker.

I don't think it is too cold, it is 250 degrees which is the upper recommended print temperature for the plastic, I can try slowing it down. But do you have any ideas as to why it is only that segment and not the other 3 segments? I printed 3 of these parts at the same time and all 3 had the same segment fail.

Jab136
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Re: having issues with curved thin angled walls

Postby Jab136 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:19 am

zemlin wrote:Who's ABS are you running, and what are your speeds and temps?

I just checked and it is Filaform White ABS

User avatar
Noren
Posts: 385
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 12:54 am
Location: Borås, Sweden
Contact:

Re: having issues with curved thin angled walls

Postby Noren » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:23 am

Jab136 wrote:
Noren wrote:To fast and to cold and to little contact with the previous layer due ro the steep angle. And I hade also made that wall thicker.

I don't think it is too cold, it is 250 degrees which is the upper recommended print temperature for the plastic, I can try slowing it down. But do you have any ideas as to why it is only that segment and not the other 3 segments? I printed 3 of these parts at the same time and all 3 had the same segment fail.


might be cause by how the cooling fans are setup? That this are get less cooling? Or more.

Jab136
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Re: having issues with curved thin angled walls

Postby Jab136 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:29 am

Noren wrote:
Jab136 wrote:
Noren wrote:To fast and to cold and to little contact with the previous layer due ro the steep angle. And I hade also made that wall thicker.

I don't think it is too cold, it is 250 degrees which is the upper recommended print temperature for the plastic, I can try slowing it down. But do you have any ideas as to why it is only that segment and not the other 3 segments? I printed 3 of these parts at the same time and all 3 had the same segment fail.


might be cause by how the cooling fans are setup? That this are get less cooling? Or more.

both fans are blocked on the bottom.

zemlin
Posts: 353
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: having issues with curved thin angled walls

Postby zemlin » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:24 pm

i'm not seeing anything obvious as far as an issue with your process. I'd try slowing down your outer perimeters. FWIW, I print ABS at 270C. I've found that best for structural integrity with both Hatchbox ABS and eSun ABS+. Higher temps won't likely work against you either.

Jab136
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Re: having issues with curved thin angled walls

Postby Jab136 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:56 pm

Thanks to everyone for the help, I had to resort to dropping the layer height from .2 to .1 but it seems to have fixed the problem even while increasing print time (fortunately, S3D has an option to have different layer heights for infill than outline, so the infill is still .2, saving some time...)


Return to “Printing Settings”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests