Share slice settings between filament types (and printers)?

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
mitchfx

Share slice settings between filament types (and printers)?

Postby mitchfx » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:32 pm

I'm not a fan of how IM segregates the different slicing profiles between each filament and printer type. This makes it very cumbersome to re-use carefully dialed in settings when you simply switch from Raise PLA to a 3rd party filmaent, etc. The same holds true for when you switch printers. The Import/Export is an ok workaround, but every time you adjust in one place you have to repeat all over again. This whole paradigm of how slice templates operate in IM gets very messy over time and not "project" based workflow friendly. The way Simplify handles all this is way more elegant, IMHO.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Share slice settings between filament types (and printers)?

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:43 am

Do you mean that when editing some settings under some filament or printer, you need to open and edit all the other templates besides it to edit the settings to be the same as the first one together?

Noren

Postby Noren » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:46 am

I have noticed this as well. I usually have my PLA-settings set up the way I want. But If I start using a new filament setting for another type of PLA. My settings doesn't show any more. I have to switch to the other filament setting. Export the setting. Switch to the new filament setting. And import the settings. Cumbersome.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:45 am

You can use "Create" to duplicate an existing template directly. No need to export and import.

mitchfx

Postby mitchfx » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:46 pm

I guess I don't understand why the profiles are segregated like this in the first place in IM's UI. It would also be nice to allow a slice profile to be assigned to a model (or models) in your IM project so when you open it later there's no guesswork about how it was sliced previously. This is even more important due to the fact you may have altered one of your slice templates since last opening that project thus not able to recreate the results. If you could assign a slice settings in the project and have those then embedded in the file that would be extremely useful.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:07 am

We are considering to combine the Gcode file and Data file together. To add more printing information to Gcode file.
Not clear how to achieve this in the end. But with this, you can see more printing information directly from Gcode file.

Return to “Software”