Cleaning outside of nozzle

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Longshot

Cleaning outside of nozzle

Postby Longshot » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:17 am

Been printing for a few hours now with PETG. Working really well on stock settings. But how do you clean the nozzle from the outside?

Starting to get some build up on the Nozzle (outside). Realize nozzles get dirty, its just part of the process, but PETG tends to like to stick to itself when printing hot.

I'd like to clean it between builds to reduce build up, but not quite sure how. Normally on my other machines i just run with a brass brush to knock off the bits. I'll even use a needle nose pliers or tweezers.

However I'm told the N2 Nozzle may have a coating and putting scratches into will not only damage it but make it more difficult to print. Soo. . . whats the best way to clean the nozzle? Leather patch? Do it when the nozzle is hot? /Cold? Scotch bright?

Julia Truchsess

Re: Cleaning outside of nozzle

Postby Julia Truchsess » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:08 am

Once in a great while I hit mine with a little brass wire brush, you can buy them from McMaster-Carr.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:21 am

If you are using the official 0.4mm nozzle installed originally on the machine, it is just a brass nozzle.
The coat one you mean should be the harden nozzle, which is still brass as base, but has a harden coat outside.

You can use brass brush as Julia suggested or tweezers to remove the filament outside the nozzle.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:29 pm

After cleaning, wipe the outside of the nozzle with a bit of spraycan liquid silicone on a paper towel. This greatly reduces the ability of plastic to stick on the nozzle.

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:32 pm

yeh eldrick good idea but dont drop it on the build plate as it will never wash off!

Longshot

Postby Longshot » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:34 pm

What brand of spray silicon do you use? High temp stuff i assume? I read a similar tip but without knowing exactly what to get, i'm apprehensive on trying it.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:34 pm

Stuff I'm using is labeled blastercorp.com, but I don't think it matters much, and I've used other hardware-store brands.
You can always wipe it off with acetone if you find some reason not to like the results.
It is certainly not going to hurt anything no matter what brand you use.

Return to “Hardware”