A little disappointed with the N2

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
Ben Roj

Re: A little disappointed with the N2

Postby Ben Roj » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:10 pm

That is exactly what I request them to change in the firmware, unable to turn off the LCD screen when battery is below 60-70% even when unplugged the power cable - is a very bad design. The LCD will keep flashing. The only thing you can do is to turn it on, and left it overnight. I dont want to imagine what will happen in 2-3 years time, when the battery die or can not hold above 60-70% - it means all Raise3D N serie will not be able to turn off till battery get replaced.

One more thing, the spool holder location should change because it is one of a major point for print failed. After Raise3D has replaced the metal spool holder with plastic version, I can see wear on the spool holder after less than a month of use. It is sure to cause a lot more friction than metal part. The included filament guide tubes are a thing that should not be used at all cost, it will sure to make the print stop extruding, they should include the PTFE tube like what other 3D printer manufacturers provide.

My Kickstarter machine also has developed a ghosting image now, hope they will release screen saver or button to turn off display while printing soon.

Lastly, I hope they can do a better grounding for touch screen, so it will become more responsive to touch instead of having to touch the metal screw to assist in register the commands most of the time.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:27 pm

On the LCD ghosting, that is not fixed by a screensaver. That is an LCD failure in and of itself. Very few units experience this but having gone through it myself, this is the actual LCD and some sort of defect in the screen. Contact support if your screen has ghosting.

frjez

Postby frjez » Sat May 06, 2017 2:11 pm

In the mean time photoholic sold his Raise3D N2 and kept the Zortrax. From his nice website:
Little update:

I had quite a few issues with my Raise3D N2. Guess it was a "monday model". I stumbled over a Zortrax M300 special offer and ordered. Thought I was able to sell it if I'm not happy with it. But I was absolutely happy and so I sold the Raise3D and kept the Zortrax.

I'm thinking to go the same route. But first I'll change the extruders for the Bondtech's ... this way the next owner will not be crippled. At least not in that department.

In his first post photoholic forgot to mention the MORONIC position of the ON/OFF switch. I have a N2 plus so whenever I want to turn it on/off I have to go to my knees.

photoholic

Postby photoholic » Thu May 11, 2017 8:38 am

Yes I switched to Zortrax... to be honest also a few issues (especially with the Software) but the machines are really really well built. Bed with 3 screws, rock solid alu frame, prints printed with Z-Ultrat look like injected... silent...reliable... no hardware issue so far...

But I'm sure it's also possible to get happy with the N2s... I was just a little unlucky and stumbled over the Zortrax special offer. The offer was so good I was pretty sure I would sell the machine very easily if it wasn't good for me... but it was and so I'll stay with Zortrax.

Btw.: The Zortrax ecosystem is not closed. It's open source now and with the Z-tool (developed from a Zortrax community guy) it's even possible to use Simplify3D or Ideamaker as a slicer and bring it back to the Zortrax zcode format.

All the best to you fellow Raisers ;)

Candor

Postby Candor » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:31 pm

I concur with several of the posts here. I have spoken to the lead tech on the issue of the emergency stop switch, fans not turning off, horrible documentation and other things I have noticed. Coming from an OSHA background I was rather shocked that there was no immediate way to stop the machine. Simply stating "Flip the power switch in the back" doesn't cut it when, like one poster pointed out, he watched his buildtak get destroyed and the same happened to me. The switch is difficult to get to, especially the way some people have it set up, and scrambling to find it and turn it off is NOT a good solution. My $150 cheap kit printer has a power kill switch on the front panel!

I will say I am a bit disappointed in the machine as a whole. There are things that need to be addressed but NOTHING that can not be fixed. I made my choice and I am willing to stick by my decision on purchasing this printer. I have seen the results when things go correctly. I am learning things along the way about this machine all the time and correcting them where and when I can.

EldRick

Postby EldRick » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:18 pm

Still wondering why on earth it takes more than eight months to offer a camera?

nikobeck

Postby nikobeck » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:09 am

Ok so i'm pretty happy to find this post. I ordered a N2 plus like 5 months ago... Well, my screen is broken, i use a mouse cannot use my fingers anymore. The bed level was not leveled (even if you did, it travelled i believe quite a long way to come to my place), and still not really leveled coz how can you level a bed with 15 or more screws ? You un screw one and you need to screw five others that moves the first one you just screwed ....

And now it's my end stop that has broken... The machine cost me around 4000 Euros, and keeps on braking all the time. Of course like someone said before, i did order a bondtech kit coz, if not, impossible, totally, to print ABS. For my part, the spool holder, i do not even use it, except when printing abs coz i do not have choice... When i use it, the filament and his plastic tube are scrubing on the binnacle, and strikes it... For my experience, i cannot be happy about raise. When you use it, at one point you're telling yourself (ok, this machine is not finished... There are so many points that are non sense, that it cannot be finish..)

How come for the left belt if you wanna tight it, you cannot even reach the screw ?!

I did call "boulanger" which is the seller that sold me my raise in france, for the screen, after like one hour waiting and calling different numbers i get a : "ya but raise is in england, listen sir i will try to find a solution and come back to you." of course they never came back to me ... The screen is still broken. Well all of that to say that, if i'm a big fan of dyson for example coz ok, it's expensive, but it definitly works ; i really will never say the same about raise.

So yo usaid upthere in the post, it's under warranty, well fine. I'm a proffessional, i bought this machine as a pro, i wait for your technician here in france to come fix it. But i'm SURE nobody will come, you will ask me to i don't know, send it back somewhere or to open a ticket or to whatever .... You know what dyson does when something's broken ? They send you a new one... And that's it. and that is also why you pay a lot of money, but this is also why you're happy to pay a lot of money. You know you can trust em.

Thanks for reading.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:29 am

nikobeck wrote:Ok so i'm pretty happy to find this post. I ordered a N2 plus like 5 months ago... Well, my screen is broken, i use a mouse cannot use my fingers anymore. The bed level was not leveled (even if you did, it travelled i believe quite a long way to come to my place), and still not really leveled coz how can you level a bed with 15 or more screws ? You un screw one and you need to screw five others that moves the first one you just screwed ....

And now it's my end stop that has broken... The machine cost me around 4000 Euros, and keeps on braking all the time. Of course like someone said before, i did order a bondtech kit coz, if not, impossible, totally, to print ABS. For my part, the spool holder, i do not even use it, except when printing abs coz i do not have choice... When i use it, the filament and his plastic tube are scrubing on the binnacle, and strikes it... For my experience, i cannot be happy about raise. When you use it, at one point you're telling yourself (ok, this machine is not finished... There are so many points that are non sense, that it cannot be finish..)

How come for the left belt if you wanna tight it, you cannot even reach the screw ?!

I did call "boulanger" which is the seller that sold me my raise in france, for the screen, after like one hour waiting and calling different numbers i get a : "ya but raise is in england, listen sir i will try to find a solution and come back to you." of course they never came back to me ... The screen is still broken. Well all of that to say that, if i'm a big fan of dyson for example coz ok, it's expensive, but it definitly works ; i really will never say the same about raise.

So yo usaid upthere in the post, it's under warranty, well fine. I'm a proffessional, i bought this machine as a pro, i wait for your technician here in france to come fix it. But i'm SURE nobody will come, you will ask me to i don't know, send it back somewhere or to open a ticket or to whatever .... You know what dyson does when something's broken ? They send you a new one... And that's it. and that is also why you pay a lot of money, but this is also why you're happy to pay a lot of money. You know you can trust em.

Thanks for reading.

Dear Sir,

We are so sorry for all the troubles you meet with our machine. Our French team will make contact with you as soon as possible.
Would you like to PM me the contact information that we can reach to you?

Wolfram

Postby Wolfram » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:42 pm

Hallo,

I already replaces the Y-Endstop twice, I have to agree to other board members, that these endstops are not very reliable.

regards

Wolfram

from Upper Palatinate

Return to “Hardware”