Adjust Belt Alignment

Topics around mechanical design, controller and electronics. Mods & hacks welcome.
squashbox

Adjust Belt Alignment

Postby squashbox » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:40 pm

Hey,

Was wondering if anyone has any tips / instructions on adjusting the belt alignment? My Y Axis is off and I cant seem to find an information other than the x/y checklist pdf.

Thanks!

walshlg

Re: Adjust Belt Alignment

Postby walshlg » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:54 pm

My pulleys were off. I loosened the 2 set screws reset by eyeball against a pair of equal sized printed standoff spacers and re-tightened . Now someplace there are those spacers - basically a 2cm long rectangle brick with a slot cutout for the guide rods that you slip over the guide rods and it gives equal distance for both ends. check the shared stl folder on the forum

squashbox

Postby squashbox » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:20 am

Thanks Walshg much appreciated.. guess thats my monday evening sorted!

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:31 pm

Please shoot a ticket onto our support system. We will help you check out the problem there.

lami3d

Postby lami3d » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:17 pm

Hold the belts that follow the X axis in place with the tool and loose the 4 screws under the 4 sliding blocks (and loose the screw that lock the rods in the slidings block on each sliding block). You can loose all the setscrews of the pulleys also, it depends if they are good ore not... if everything is in place, they have to "stick" to the spacers near the frame...
Because if the spacers are ok and the frame is ok, they don't have to be elsewhere to make a square.

Now, you can use the printed shims to ensure that the "central cross" is parallel/perpendicular to the axis that are around
and then, thighten all the screws under the sliding blocks, move the printhead and handtighten the screws that lock the rods in the sliding blocks

In my opinion and experience, if everything is in place and not hurted you don't have to locate the pulleys according the printed shims....
loose all the setscrews of the pulley (if you didn't do that at the begining) and move the printhead, the pulleywill find their place to allow the printhead to move really freely. They have to face each other and be aligned with the sliding block.
You can check it : when a sliding block is near a pulley, you have to see the belt completly straight and not bent by the sliding block...

At the end, yes you can check the location of pulleys with the printed shims but you don't have to start by doing this (in my opinion).

hard to explain this in english...
Last edited by lami3d on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lami3d

Postby lami3d » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:02 pm

the tool to hold the belts (you need 2 to maintain the 2 belts) :
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1341&p=11931&hilit=tool+belt#p11931

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:26 pm

thanks lami3d I couldnt find it

lami3d

Postby lami3d » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:49 pm

you're welcome walshlg !
When i started into 3d printing, i've read a lot of interesting topics here where people helps each other ! if i can help in a way, even for a link, i would be happy ! ;)

squashbox

Postby squashbox » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:50 am

lami3d + walshg thanks for the help, got it all aligned and a cheeky double check on the old bed level last night. All working a treat!

Cheers!

walshlg

Postby walshlg » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:53 pm

great news squashbox

Return to “Hardware”