IdeaMaker interface improvement

Raise3D is always hearing. If you have a feature requested related to our product, or if you have new ideas that need attention from the community, please post here.
Zon

IdeaMaker interface improvement

Postby Zon » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi there.

Just started to use IdeaMaker and right from the very start I'd suggest the following quick and simple improvements to it's interface (will affect usability):

1. Remember all the windows sizes, states and positions
2. Profile dialog - listbox height equal to profile height*X (seventh profile toggles scrollbar - a couple of pixels difference)
3. Make the style of all dialogs the same as the whole interface (gray background etc) - About, Estimated print result etc.
4. Preview - remember 3D/2D state, checkboxes and color value, add price if exists. Leave focus on steps, not layers (or on last clicked control). Show color chart when needed.
5. Printer menu - people seldom have printers of both series, make Raise3D and ideaMaker items visibility dependent of printer type selected. If there is only one option (like Connect), raise it to upper menu
6. Single loaded model must be selected by default.
7. It would be useful lo see model dimensions in info field.
8. More info (or some kind of hint) for Invalid model - in IdeaMaker models are invalid even after NetFabb, why?
9. Maybe an ability to slice with modified profile - directly from profile dialog, without saving profile?

Additional - for touchscreen firmware:
1. Remove model from screen after succsessful print if print is not repeating.
2. You show models in perspective (great) - show the print height in perspective, too. Pure 2.5D, no 3D processing (or even simple color gradient).

Is there an ability to remove models from dashboard? Why not, may be of use for somebody?..
You don't own a device until you void it's warranty.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: IdeaMaker interface improvement

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:32 pm

Thanks for all your suggestions! We do appreciate!
Here are our thoughts about some:
3. We make this dialog different with background is concerning about the words are it may be not such clear in gray background. Anyway, we will ask UI designer to help check whether there has better way.
5. Since N series printer and F series printer should be at the same level in Printer menu. If move Connect to the same level of F series printer, that may make both N series and F series users feel confuse whether this one is for their machine.
7. The dimensions can be checked in ideaMaker. Click the button between wrench button and upload button, you can check model's information there.

Zon

Postby Zon » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:08 pm

3. Anyway, desing must be consistent - or it's a bad design.
5. It's usually known what printer is connected (or to connect) and there is no need to show commands for unexisting printer.
7. Too many steps (and the window is of size producing unnecessary scroll bar with typical info), while this info could be presented on right-bottom panel along witn the less significant info that is already there.

Your software is very good (and definitely will be even better), but for now some simple usability rules are just not followed. The only reason I wrote this post is to help you make IdeaMaker better.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:32 am

By the way, for the second one for touchscreen:
You can delete the files you don't need from the screen. We won't provide auto-delete, in case you need that file for second print.

Zon

Postby Zon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:52 am

How do I do that? How do I delete image from the HOME screen (after succsessful print) without deleting file from SD card or restarting the printer? I do want to keep the file to print later, but I do not need the last printed to be shown on HOME screen for now - especially as long as I still need to go to PRINT to repeat printing.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:59 am

If you delete file from your SD card, it will be no longer inside your card or screen any more.
If your files are in Local Storage, you can create a new folder to save the files you have successfully printed.

Zon

Postby Zon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:20 am

Vicky, I'm talking about clearing HOME screen from the last printed file in case of succsessful print. You are leaving the image there even if user has selected not to print it again and has to return to PRINT screen to repeat the print.
You know, those little things affect usability. The interface must be polished. Everything can be done one way or another, but the way and ease of how it's done does really matter.
I don't want to argue - I've made some suggestions and it's totally up to you to make those improvements (if you consider them improvements) or not.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:48 am

Well noted. Thanks for your explanation. Will back to software team.

Return to “Feature requests, ideas, wishes”