Connect to printer remotely?

Thoughts about Raise3D, 3D printing and making in general.
Noren

Connect to printer remotely?

Postby Noren » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:37 pm

Hi. Is it possible to connect to the printer directly via internet to view the progress screen?

Zettlinger

Re: Connect to printer remotely?

Postby Zettlinger » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:43 pm

Hi Noren,

First let me start with the fact that a lot of people advice to not let a printer run unattended because it can be a dangerous machine heating up to hundreds of degrees etc.

Now with that warning out of the way.... The most simple way would probably to have a machine with Ideamaker and Teamviewer installed inside your network so you can use the Teamviewer client to get a reasonable safe entry point into your network to watch the printer info

firesped

Postby firesped » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:00 pm

Given that hackers like to hack thing and turn them into cloud processing points, putting a 3D printer with a computer inside it does not seem to be a good idea.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

Noren

Postby Noren » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:44 pm

Thanks. I have a Logitech C922 connected to an iMac streaming the print. And I have smoke detectors in the room with the security firm coming home when the alarm goes off. And a remotely connected electrical outlet that I can turn off from everywhere. And fast and reliable fibre connection.

What I would really like is either an URL that shows me the status screen from the printer. Or an iOS app showing the status screen. Seams quite "easy" enough to implement?

basilfawlty

Postby basilfawlty » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:25 pm

Many people here (myself included) use Teamviewer to access a computer that controls the printer. It does require an always-on computer but I have used it many times with great success. Another benefit to using a computer is the ability to run video monitoring and recording software. I can view and control the printer and review video footage of prints when they go wrong. It sounds like your iMac might suit this perfectly.

PS: My printer is running unattended most of the time. I'm not sure how anyone can be expected to watch the printer for 60+ hour prints. I'm using a nest smoke detector and a smart outlet to automatically turn off the printer if there is smoke.
Raise3D N2+

ABH

Postby ABH » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:28 pm

The Raise3D printers listen on TCP port 31625 for remote control from ideaMaker.
All it takes to make the printer accessible from the Internet is to create a port forwarding rule in your router (TCP port 31625 forward to Printer local IP address).
Assuming that you have a public WAN IP address, then create a connection in ideaMaker to your public IP address.
ideaMaker communicates with the printer using a proprietary protocol, so unless a hacker uses ideaMaker, then he can do no harm to your printer, and if he really uses ideaMaker, then he can only do what ideaMaker can do.

Behold

Postby Behold » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:17 pm

I was able to get this to work on a network that uses IPv4 protocol. How do we do this with IPv6 addresses for public IP?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:52 pm

ABH wrote: ideaMaker communicates with the printer using a proprietary protocol, so unless a hacker uses ideaMaker, then he can do no harm to your printer, and if he really uses ideaMaker, then he can only do what ideaMaker can do.

Short list of things one could do:
#1 stop your print dead in the middle of some huge long print with zero chance of recovery.
#2 home the printer with something on the build plate for you.
#3 print fun and exciting objects on your printer for you using your plastic. Something definitely not "PC" or family friendly.
#4 extrude a whole roll of filament for fun- just in case you wanted a birds nest and/or your extruder encased in plastic.

So yes, please, put your completely unsecured, wide open, no authentication required printer on the internet. I promise, nobody would ever think of messing with it.

Return to “General”