second nozzle main nozzle

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
expressprototype

second nozzle main nozzle

Postby expressprototype » Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:51 pm

Hi all,

new here, i have a issue.

i want to use PVA as support. but when its in the second nozzle it get jammed on the drive after 10 mins of printing.

i was thinking about using the left nozzle for support and right for part printing, my question is how do i change it in the software to use the right nozzle to print the part.

i can only find how to change the infill, it still prints the outside shape with the left.

any help appreciated, and maybe tips on using the second nozzle for pva, its like it gets too hot and stuck round the drive.

Jetguy

Re: second nozzle main nozzle

Postby Jetguy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:13 pm

Well the first tip is, if the filament drive section is getting hot- AKA hot motor problem, solve the problem- the motor should not be getting hot enough to deform filament. Changing the side you extrude from won't fix this problem.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:18 pm

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:26 am

Also, some other basic facts about your question and PVA.
PVA is a relatively difficult material to 3D print with regardless of printer brand or model. Pure PVA filament absorbs moisture right out of the air and changes properties making it less stiff and more sticky in the filament path leading to jams. Worse, it burns to a brown sticky substance inside the nozzle and can be difficult if not near impossible to remove from inside the nozzle and hotend in a situation where extrusion temps used were too high. Basically, the first fact is the instant you open the PVA sealed bag, the counter starts counting down until that filament is ruined and unusable. This is why it is often sold in smaller spool sizes so that you open it, use it immediately, and when done, you have little left over because it will go bad over time. Drying it using heating and desiccant is only partially effective.

This is why brands like E3D created Scaffold- a specially modified filament of PVA but with other binders and filling agents to reduce these bad affects. It does not eliminate them and moisture is a problem, but at least Scaffold generally tends to last a bit longer and also extrudes several times easier than any other PVA I have tried.

Sadly, in many cases, PVA is not the miracle support material it might be sold and marketed as. Compared to just using same material supports, it costs more money and increases complexity of the print. Julia was just talking about here experience of using same material support and that is also my preferred method rather than trying to dual extrude and use expensive support material just to throw it away.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:51 pm

Select the model and choose the nozzle under View tab.
1.png

And set Support nozzle to be left under support tab in Advanced settings.
2.png

Return to “Software”