Marlin 1.1.0 Unofficial firmware version 1.2.1

Discussions about ideaMaker and other printing software.
firesped

Marlin 1.1.0 Unofficial firmware version 1.2.1

Postby firesped » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:34 am

I contacted Derek and asked him about the status of the firmware testing. He reported they did basic testing on around 10 machines and everything has function correctly so far. But they are working on other things right now so they are not yet ready to merge the firmware into the main firmware version.

I had asked him if I could release it and he said it was ok.

So here is the firmware based on Marlin 1.1.0.

Unofficial firmware version 1.2.1

Why 1.2.X?
This firmware is built on official marlin version 1.1.0, just like the official firmware is build on official marlin version 1.0.2. In order to keep with the standard naming convention Raise3D has set for their version numbers. I went with 1.2.0.

Version History
•Updated firmware to support M301 command (PID AUTOTUNE) run from the touchscreen, touchscreens using raisepack 0.9.2

•Updated Settings for N-Series printers to the Official Marlin version 1.1.0. Previous firmware for N-Series was built on Official Marlin version 1.0.2
•Added protocol so touchscreen can talk to the motion controller. The code for this is extensive.
•Added code to printer status, making requirement of SDcard support, not needed. Saving memory and processing power.
•SDSUPPORT NOT ENABLED
•REPRAP FULL GRAPHIC SMART CONTROLLER not enabled. If you are using one of these devices now, you will need to configure a firmware for it.
•EEPROM is enabled.
•Primary configuration options are N1, N2, N2PLUS, DUAL, EXT0_STEPE and EXT1_STEPE. These options are all located at new the beginning of the configuration.h file.
•N1, N2, N2PLUS set the print area
•DUAL sets the number of extruders to 2 and enables distinctive e factors.
•EXT0_STEPE and EXT1_STEPE set the distinctive axis units per set for EXT0 and EXT1.

Repository on GITHUB
https://github.com/Firesped/Marlin-Raise3D-N-Series-Unofficial

Compiled firmware versions
These are configured as per the normal configuration of the printers.
-DUAL extruders
-ESTEP set to 94
-printer areas set to sizes based on the printer.

N1 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0JdooQlrpjQNlFvR3VwV0RTQ1U/view?usp=sharing
N2 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0JdooQlrpjQSG1TUGRadWllLW8/view?usp=sharing
N2 PLUS - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0JdooQlrpjQLUdNV0wycU9BU3M/view?usp=sharing

I have created a support topic here http://forum.raise3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2153 Please post issues there.

To note, I have been using this firmware on my printer for a while and have not had issues yet. This firmware is technically in Beta at this time however.

Official Marlin 1.1.0 firmware has support for many features people have been asking for.

BLtouch code is in it. I have a BLtouch, I will need to wire it into my printer for testing and configuration in the firmware. Unless someone can provide me with the information I need. I can build it in.

It has FILAMENT RUNOUT SENSOR code. Need to determine with RUNOUT sensor to use. We will have to set a endstop to use for this.
RL name: Michael Nolen
printers:
raise3D N2 kickstarter Early Bird
Trinus Deluxe (running smoothieware on Azteeg X5 GT board)
Monoprice Maker Select v2

firesped

Re: Marlin 1.1.0 Unofficial firmware version 1.2.1

Postby firesped » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:20 am

I need to check what the printer is doing on pause. I may need to update for that function. I never looked at the pause command.
printers:

sylus

Postby sylus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:27 am

good news,unfortunatly i change BLtouch for IR Z probe (very good results) but I have 2 copies of Dyze design sentinelle to check runout filament feature.

firesped

Postby firesped » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:53 am

I did a search on filament runout sensor. it can litterially just be done with a mechanical endstop in a guide box. doesn't need anything fancy except for the guild box to not interfere with the movement of the filament. I'm going to work on my own.
printers:

sylus

Postby sylus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:03 am

I am aslo able to test this one too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bhbh1mcsi8

sylus

Postby sylus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:23 am

firesped wrote:I need to check what the printer is doing on pause. I may need to update for that function. I never looked at the pause command.

maybe change M600 gcode by M2000?

firesped

Postby firesped » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:03 pm

so raise just pushed out a filament runout sensor firmware for the touchscreen and marlin. I'll have to look at them and make sure this firmware is compatible with the touchscreen update.
printers:

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:56 pm

Where did you see this? I just checked Github and official downloads. I see your commit here https://github.com/Firesped/Marlin-Rais ... ommits/FRS

But I don't know where the matching beta or whatever touch screen update might be?

Ben Roj

Postby Ben Roj » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:39 pm

It is unofficial version (testing), posted by Vicky in another topic.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=593&start=40

Jetguy wrote:Where did you see this? I just checked Github and official downloads. I see your commit here https://github.com/Firesped/Marlin-Rais ... ommits/FRS

But I don't know where the matching beta or whatever touch screen update might be?

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:46 pm

Thanks, somehow I missed that post.

firesped

Postby firesped » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:25 pm

I'm curious as to what some of the pin outs on the RUMBA board are for.
T2 and T3 are sig and gnd. were these for the original filament sensor?

Also the P2 plug?

I may also have to get in with a multimeter unless I can get an answer. Which side of the end stops is which at the plug on the rumba board?
printers:

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:47 pm

I've broken down the board labeling as seen here. Connector P2 was originally intended to mate with the Tunnel (Aaron Tunnel) designed filament detector now sold by Toybuilder Labs who initially was partnering with Raise 3D. That's part of the reason why it's a locking MPC-2 CD-rom style audio 4 pin plug as used in many Replicator style derived printers (FF Creator, Wanhao, D4, CTC, and others).
I think what happened is the cost and licensing agreements fell through and that's why you don't see a Tunnel filament detector.

The T2 and T2 are thermistor inputs to analog pins and can be used for various temp sensing applications to control functions. That said, we do have limited outputs to control (you technically have a 3rd heater output that is by default outputting 24V)
Attachments
Motionboardconnectorsupdated.jpg

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:58 pm

There also were some noted technical features about the Tunnel detector that are implemented in the connector.
On a Mightyboard based printers, the endstop connectors are 4 pin, it's 5V, GND, GND, and Sense for a pinout.
The Tunnel detector is a standalone microprocessor so it needs that 5V to power it, GND, and then the sense pin is how it tells the board to trigger pause (called P-stop in Sailfish Firmware - again specific to Mightyboard based printers).
Well the key here is the Tunnel detector requires manual user input at the start of every print to reset it. Basically all it does is look for filament movement within a given time period after to set it into watching mode. Then it triggers when the filament is not moving. Well at the end of a print, it doesn't know the print ended, so it auto triggers and just sits there that way until you the user do something. So again, by default, it required the user to reset the detector before starting a print, and then sometimes they could false trigger with a lot of retractions in a small time period or just a really slow feeding print. There was minimal interaction between it and the motion control board and firmware.

So, this is why in P2, one of the normally ground pins (the 2 center pins) is a digital pin of the mega 2560. This would allow a special firmware on the Tunnel detector to have the ability to better communicate with the Raise 3D motion control firmware.
You could have it such that it's a bidirections communications, so the detector knows and resets when a print is started by signaling one pin, and a triggered pause or filament failure is the other reply pin. Or, go evne more in depth and be able to tell what extruder has a failure.

The point being, this all requires coordination. The firmware on both sides needs to work with an agreed protocol and then obviously, if changes or updates are made to one firmware, then both firmwares may need updated to matching versions. Imagine this between 2 totally different companies who did not partner with each other.
Now you see some of the complexity of why this is now just kind of finally coming to fruition.

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:07 pm

"Which side of the end stops is which at the plug on the rumba board?"
The pin row nearest the edge is the sensing pin and the row inside near the P2 connector is GND.
Picture updated.
Attachments
Motionboardconnectorsupdated.jpg

Jetguy

Postby Jetguy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:09 pm

Again, please note I just posted you history and details of previous proposed implementation.

Please follow the guide as posted by Raise 3D when using their firmware source code and details
Example, NC switches, using the endstops as pictured and NOT using P2 as I mentioned.

firesped

Postby firesped » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:44 pm

currently I am working on a part to fit the endstops from raise3d for doing this. However there is an issue. These endstops are normally open. for the marlin firmware it may work as I can invert it. but for the raise firmware it will read backwards. Unless I have it backwards. are the raise3d endstops wired Normally Closed or Normally Open?

IMG_0855a.JPG

Here are my v0.1 and v0.2
v0.1 is the big block of plastic. mainly done to get a feel for fitting.
v0.2 I increased gap to allow better fit of the endstop and reduced mass.
I am currently printing off v0.3.
v0.3 is working on controlling the filament so it will self feed.

not sure if this will be viable on raise3d firmware.

I am using 6m threaded inserts to mount the PTFE quick connects. I only wish I had quick connects that the tube passes completely though.

Current issues that I need to correct. the filament is not centered over the arm. I need to see how v0.3 fits and adjust locations. I also need a way to secure the endstop.
printers:

firesped

Postby firesped » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:27 pm

an interesting note though. reading the endstop wiring for smoothieware, they say it is better to wire those endstops NC as it produces less noise. so the signal is on when it is open. and turns off then it is closed.

if we want to follow the same example for less noise. we actually want Normally Open because we have it press when filament is present. and no signal when no filament is present.

v0.3 finished printing, it looks like my hole placement is .5 mm off. correcting and printing off v0.4
printers:

firesped

Postby firesped » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:48 am

version 1.2.2 is up on GitHub as a branch, imported the filament runout sensor code raise3d put out today. spent way too much time working on filament sensor and firmware today.
printers:

firesped

Postby firesped » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:59 pm

trying to figure out why the it won't print in the center of the bed. I think I know why. the Z-probe offset is set for X-25, Y-29.

However the issue is, as far as the carriage is concerned. 0,0 is dead center of the axis shaft intersection. as far as I can tell. X-12, Y-12 is likely more to get a centered print, based on my 3d model of the carriage block.

the Y offset is -11.91
the X offset is -12.71

working on leveling my bed right now using a leveling circle. if I put the leveling circle at X 12.29 and Y 17.09. it should in theory be centered on the bed. I have a spring mounted leveling system installed on 9 screws. I am using the 4 screws that are equal distance.
printers:

firesped

Postby firesped » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:15 pm

oops, I need to put out an update. I forgot to enable PID for the bed.
printers:

Return to “Software”