PETG CARBON and petg

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
vortex3d

PETG CARBON and petg

Postby vortex3d » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:08 pm

Hi guys, need your help with my n2plus, i can print all filament without any problem, but with PETG and PETG carbon i have always the same results
P1000684.JPG
if someone can help me, give me ideas of what i can do better, 260° is the baddest temperature, 240° is better but not excellent.

OncologyEngineer

Re: PETG CARBON and petg

Postby OncologyEngineer » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:23 pm

Hi Vortex3d,

I haven't used the PETG Carbon but I've had success with standard PETG on my N2+. I'm still learning and I'm sure others will be able to guide you better but looking at your print it has pretty bad stringing which can be reduced by reducing the temperature. I would also turn retraction on but don't have the value up too high otherwise you may get ringing. The settings I used were 205C on the extruder, 60C on the bed (probably not necessary), and 2.5 for the retraction, otherwise standard PLA template. Maybe give that a go and see what the brain trust comes up with.
Cheers, Onc Eng.
N2+ dual standard
Based in Sydney, Australia

vortex3d

Postby vortex3d » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:39 pm

thanks, i will try this setting.... i have several problems with basic petg to....

DeftCAD

Postby DeftCAD » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:43 am

I've been using a lot of PET-G Carbon recently. I needed a material that was tough and would allow the finished parts to tolerate a bit more ambient heat than PLA will. Here's one of the finished parts:
Phone Holder.JPG

And another:
Switch Housing.JPG

Some settings in no particular order, using Simplify3D:

- 0.6mm Olsson Ruby nozzle
- Glass bed with 3DLAC spray. Sticks VERY well. Bed needs to cool then the parts 'pop' off easily.
- 1mm retraction @ 1200mm/min
- 0.2mm layer height with 90% first layer height and 50% first layer speed.
- 15% infill. Note, much lower than this and top layers fall through or produce gaps.
- 5 solid top layers. This helps build a nice top surface. It's linked to the point above.
- Avoid supports where possible: complete pain to remove. I've since split the part in the image to design them out and will screw the parts together. The screws won't be seen in use.
- 70º bed
- 250º extruder

I seem to be getting better and better results as I chip away at the settings. My only issue currently is material 'picking up' around the nozzle, which then gets to critical mass and drops onto the print. You can see some evidence of it on the phone holder print. I may try reducing the extrusion multiplier (currently 0.9) a tiny bit to see if that helps.

Hope this is of use!

NDPG

Postby NDPG » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:16 pm

Which brand PETG Carbon are you using? I tried colorFabb XT-CF20 in my Pro2 and it jammed after a few minutes. Oddly it jammed in the Pro2's nozzle lifting system which is between the extruder and hot end. It was jammed so badly that I had to remove it with a 1.5 mm drill bit. The filament diameter is slightly less than 1.75 mm so OK but it is a couple of years old. It was dried before use. It has a rough finish and is quite brittle. I was using a 0.4 mm nozzle. Maybe a larger nozzle or slowing everything down might help.

When I print with plain PETG I have no problems.

DeftCAD

Postby DeftCAD » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:05 am

Unless I have a very specific requirement, I exclusively use filament from Technology Outlet. I have no link to them other than I bought my printer from them. They run several Raise 3D machines in house, all using their own filament. I've had next to no issues with it and it's very well priced. This is the Carbon PET-G I have:

https://technologyoutlet.co.uk/collections/premium-3d-printer-filament/products/technology-outlet-premium-pet-g-carbon-fibre-filament

Return to “Printing Settings”