Support upper dense surface missing

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
addy.cdc

Support upper dense surface missing

Postby addy.cdc » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:49 am

Dear Raise3D community,

I have a question regarding the external surface finish when using supports and when printing a hollow concave part. Take for example the picture attached to this post.

Try02.jpg

My print settings are as follows:
- Material: ASA (250deg extruder / 110deg bed)
- Nozzle: 0.6mm
- Layer height: 0.2mm
- 30 - 50mm/s speed
- 7 top & bottom layers
- 3 shells
- Infill: 65% and grid pattern
- Support type tried: pillar and liniar ; Enabled 3 dense support layers (with 80% density infill) ; added offsets to make it easier to peel-off the supports

I`ve noticed that no matter what support settings I choose, the upper part of the support = the bottom exterior dense surface of the part is totally missing. Instead of the nice finish surface, the interior infill of the part is seen.

Even the preview simulation shows the this surface as bridge instead of solid fill. Please note that the two pictures are printed rotated (simulation is vertical while the print was made rotated 90deg on one of the sides) - but the results are similar.

Raise3D layers.png

Is there any setting which might fix this issue? Or is it a bug in the software? I`ve attached my custom printing profile as well.

Thank you very much!
Attachments
ASA 250deg N0.6mm L0.2mm 65% 3 shells 30mm per sec-export.zip
(8.38 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Support upper dense surface missing

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:03 am

May I ask your STL file to have a look?
I sliced an example model with your profile, the dense layer are created properly under preview.
1.png

addy.cdc

Postby addy.cdc » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:51 am

Yes, please find the STL file attached. It should be laid on the print bed rotated on one of the sides.
Attachments
Sensor mount with groove.stl
(451.55 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:55 pm

1.png

Sliced with your profiles. The dense layers show properly. The dark blue sections are dense layers.

addy.cdc

Postby addy.cdc » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:50 am

Thank you Vicky for the quick reply!

So the dense layers are supposed to get peeled off from the printed part when removing the supports? Are these layers the actual exterior surface of the part?

I am asking since when peeling the support & dense layer off, the bottom surface of the part (i.e. solid fill layer) looks very ugly - please see attached picture.
Attachments
Try03.jpg

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:43 am

Since your layer thickness is 0.2mm, 2 layer as vertical offset for top and down layers will be too far. Try edit both values to be 1.
About dense layer settings, try 5 layers with 85% or higher fill ratio.

addy.cdc

Postby addy.cdc » Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:38 am

I`ve set the Vertical Offset layers (top and bottom) to 1 and used 5 Dense support layers (with 100% infill) and printed again the part.

After removing the support structure, the part`s outer solid fill surface - the one which sits on top of the dense support layer - still looks awkward.

Is this something to be expected or can the finish be improved? Why is there so much spacing between the deposited lines of this solid fill surface? Shouldn`t the lines be deposited one next to the other to create a solid looking finish? Or is it because they don`t get squished as for example the top-most layer of the part?

This resulted surface looks worst than the one left after removing the raft for example.
Attachments
Try 03.jpg

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:54 pm

It will be really hard to print layers above support structures to be perfect as the bottom layers on solid bed or Raft.
Try reduce the Printing Speed for Bottom Solid Layer and see whether it can help improve the quality a little or not.

Return to “Printing Settings”