Trying to match Pro2 quality and speed to M200......

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
DavidBarwin

Trying to match Pro2 quality and speed to M200......

Postby DavidBarwin » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:15 pm

I have a 10 printer farm of Zotrax M200s (running 7/24/365 for consumer products) and recently acquired a R3D Pro2 in the hopes of starting to replace my standalone M200s. 90% of what we print is ABS (Z-ABS) and Z-ULTRAT is the other 10% (PLA is too brittle and dark colors soften in direct sunlight). Everything we print is a good balance of quality/speed and amount of material. The M200s have a .4 nozzle and we print most of the time at .29mm and 75% infill for strength.

I got my Pro2 delivered and set up yesterday and have started printing our parts and trying to dial in the quality & speed. I need to match or exceed what we currently produce on the M200s. Has anyone else moved from M200s to Pro2's and if so have you figured out the appropriate settings in ideaMaker to achieve similar results?

From what I've seen so far I want to thin the raft by about 50% as it's extreme for our smaller products and I need to figure out how to improve the quality in general without slowing the print time tremendously. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! -David

Comparison pictures below (Pro2 on left and M200 on right):
Attachments
IMG_1568.JPG
IMG_1569.JPG

DavidBarwin

Re: Trying to match Pro2 quality and speed to M200......

Postby DavidBarwin » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:13 pm

The good news is there does appear to be "good quality" achievable with diving into the Advanced Settings. Everything from "Coast", "Enable Jerk Control", deselecting "Avoid Retract Inside Models", changing speeds and amounts does start to match the quality I'm used to with my other printers. Once I get the quality dialed in then I'll try to speed things up as the Pro2 is taking 50 to 75% more time.

Pro2 is also my first exposure to BuildTak and while I think I like it I have already destroyed the middle of it after trying to change the settings on rafts. The raft is too thick and uses too much material. I cut them to 1 & 1 and it stuck so tight to the BuildTak I ruined it (picture attached). I've contacted support to purchase another as I didn't see it in the online store.

What's the rule of thumb on build plate temperatures? If it's too cool it won't stick and if it's too hot it sticks too well?

Also, why does it takes so long to warm the extruders and the build plate? I'm used to 3 to 4 minutes with M200s and the Pro2 is taking 12 to 15 minutes. TOO SLOW........

Is there any documentation on the Advanced Settings anywhere?

Kind Regards - David Barwin
Attachments
IMG_1574.JPG
IMG_1575.JPG
IMG_1571.JPG
BuildTak destroyed

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:03 am

You can try different fixed position values of Layer Start Point to compare the difference. The seam points can be gathered all to one corner which can be no that obvious.

For the buildtak issue, if you have already confirmed the distance between nozzle tip and build surface is not too close, try lower bed temperature a little.

DavidBarwin

Postby DavidBarwin » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:52 am

Thank you for your reply Vicky. How do I go about establishing where I want the seam points to be? Is there additional documentation available on the advanced settings of ideaMaker? Kind Regards, - David Barwin

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:57 pm

You can try different values and check in preview after slicing in ideaMaker layer by layer. The X0 Y0 should be origin point.

We have a User Manual of ideaMaker in our download center under ideaMaker section.
https://www.raise3d.com/pages/download

If there is any unclear part for you to understand inside, you can either ask help from others on forum or shoot us a support ticket.

DavidBarwin

Postby DavidBarwin » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:02 am

Thank you again Vicky for your help. ;-) I did find the manual online and have experimented with the "Layer Starting Point" and have put them into a corner and an inside surface and visually the quality now meets or exceeds the output of my M200's. The Pro2 is still taking about 20% longer than the M200 but the improved quality is a worthy trade-off. I'll do some strength testing before my parts head to market but this Pro2 is now dedicated to printing production ready parts 7/24 for the next 120 days.

Kind Regards,

-David Barwin
Attachments
IMG_1584.jpg
Final
Last edited by DavidBarwin on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:41 am

Good to hear that helps. Thanks for your update!

Ronvp

Postby Ronvp » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:55 pm

David, I just got the same printer and was curious about what settings did you change to improve your quality. Mine too is struggling..

Ron

Return to “Printing Settings”