Retracting across first layer

Share your successful printing settings with others here. If you have any question about the parameters or printing skills of some filament, please find here.
jetdillo

Retracting across first layer

Postby jetdillo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:08 am

I've noticed that when printing small parts, it's common for Ideamaker to doing a retraction at the end of each line when drawing out the first layer, esp. for filling in an area.
For example, printing one of the calibration cubes will typically result in the perimeter/shells being drawn, followed by a diagonal fill from one corner to another. During this fill, I've seen the extruder extrude out a line, stop, retract and then move onto the next line. On subsequent layers, like doing the bottom fill layers, the extruder just bops back and forth, laying out filament in a continuous stream, then draw the perimeters again, then bop back and forth to do the fill, all with minimal retraction.

I'm wondering why this is happening on the first layer and not others.
I'm not sure if I checked a box I shouldn't have or if this is YetAnotherBug in IM, or just a function of operating in a confined space with fast(150mm/sec) X-travel.

Vicky@Raise3D

Re: Retracting across first layer

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Wed May 02, 2018 5:37 am

It is because the first and last layer are the surface layers. Ooze and strings will affect the quality of the surface, so these two layers are forced to enable retraction before each movement. For the remaining layers inside, we think those are inner layers, ooze and strings won't affect a lot the final result. So we enable the option of Avoid Retraction Inside Model under Ooze tab. If disable this option, you will see also a lot retractions in the other layers.

kocska

Postby kocska » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:33 pm

Dear Vicky!

I think your software is almost perfect, but just because of this unnecessary feature.
This feature is increasing the print time and increasing the possibilities of the first layer errors.

How could I switch of it? If it is not possible you should make a switch for this.

Thanks!

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:51 am

Notes taken. Will add this option into developing list.

Xierion

Postby Xierion » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:25 am

I have found a similar problem where the surrounding shells on the initial layer were printing fine, but the infill was lifting up from the bed. Increasing the 'Minimum Travel of Retraction' setting has stopped retraction and the entire initial layer prints fine. If there was a way to disable retraction on the initial layer, it would make my life a lot easier.

WillGIam

Postby WillGIam » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:16 pm

Hey, I´m having the same problem. I also played around with minmal travel, but thats not a clean way...

Will there be an update to turn this function off especially for the first layer?

Greetings

Vicky@Raise3D

Postby Vicky@Raise3D » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:54 pm

We have added it into developing list. You will see it as a new option in future versions.

Return to “Printing Settings”